Windmill palm plants - in Ohio?

zeitgeist57

I was at the new Columbus Commons park downtown (former City Center mall) having a GREAT time with my daughter. Noticed that City decided to plant potted palm trees. Friend of mine said that certain palms - like windmill palm trees - can actually thrive in climates that see -10*F in the winter.

This is news to me at 33yrs of age...anyone know of people that have palms in their yards, grow them year-round with a lot of success?

Is it possible that they pick them up and move them indoors for winter? :confused:

From what I've heard due to underground parking still being under the park they can not put trees straight into the ground, so they are all in very large planters. So it wouldn't surprise me if they move them in during the winter.

I have several cold weather banana trees. This is their 3rd year coming back. Big, 6 foot leaves. Ornamental bananas only. Nothing you can eat. Mine haven't gotten any fruit yet. But they look cool as hell. Very tropical. You just hack them off at ground level in October, and put a couple feet of mulch over the rhyzome, and they come back up about mid April. They come back in groups of about 6 or more. I am trying something different this year. Trying to keep cutting back the new ones that show up, so the main one gets as tall as possible. Singles like that are said to get 12-15 feet tall in an Ohio summer. They grow very fast once July is here. Got them at Dills Greenhouse on Rt 33. Musa Basjoo is the ones that are cold weather.

I cornered a couple of the groundskeepers this morning as I walked across the park. They said that the palms they had planted in Columbus Commons were not cold-hardy, but they will bring them into their greenhouse over the winter. However, one of the guys was talking about Saw Palmetto plants being great growers here in Columbus. Windmill palms are also good, but it's a balance between getting good sunlight in the summer while not being too exposed to northern winds in the wintertime.

Zeppelin, where on your property did you plant the Musa Basjoo? The front of my house has great Western exposure, but it gets hot as heck in the late afternoons...