Airgun laws in Columbus ?

TTQ B4U

2323.30 - Discharging weapons.

(A)

No person shall discharge or cause to be discharged any firearm, airgun or other instrument used to explode any cartridge or thing filled with any explosive substance or material.

(B)

This section shall not apply to:

(1)

Devices in which paper caps containing twenty-five hundredths (0.25) grains or less of explosive compound are used, (providing they are so constructed that the hand cannot come in contact with the cap when in place for the explosion), and toy pistol paper caps which contain less than twenty hundredths (0.20) grains of explosive mixture;

(2)

A law enforcement officer in the lawful performance of his duties;

(3)

Discharge of a weapon when acting in self-defense or defense of another;

(4)

Situations in which the firearm was discharged or was on or about the person or under the control of a person in the commission of a felony for which the Revised Code requires a term of actual incarceration of three (3) years and an indefinite term of imprisonment pursuant to Section 2929.71(B) of the Revised Code;

(5)

The holder of a permit issued by the Director of Public Safety.

(D)

Whoever violates this section is guilty of discharging weapons, a misdemeanor of the third degree.

(E)

Strict liability is intended to be imposed for violation of this section.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16219&stateId=35&stateName=Ohio

No person shall discharge or cause to be discharged any firearm, airgun or other instrument used to explode any cartridge or thing filled with any explosive substance or material.

This part is open to interpretation and I would not hesitate to fight it in court if I were charged with firing a pellet/bb rifle since technically the air discharge is NOT being used to explode a catridge or any explosive substance.

However, I dont fire off around my house, anyway. I was told by a couple people that it was fine here in Delaware, but I argued you probably couldn't since you couldn't in most cities I've lived in. I need to check the laws here, too.

Are you looking to shoot rabbits on your property as well?

Damn things are destroying my hostas.

I have House Sparrows like freakin roaches around our house and getting into the attic. They shit everywhere. Lawn furniture, cars, etc. My neighbor tried screening his attic vents and the little bastards tore threw it all. lol

I stopped filling the bird feeders a year ago just because the sparrows were getting ridiculous.

Are you looking to shoot rabbits on your property as well?

At the risk of offending anyone, I will say that I'm testing out some very nice RWS Meister-kugeln .22 and .177 pellets but I will deny any life being taken.

I just picked up an RWS 350 Feuerkraft Pro Compact with folding barrel at a flea market over the holiday weekend. It's a 1,250fps velocity gun so I won't chance firing it here in suburbia but the Crossman consumer grade pump action .177 caliber is fine.

This part is open to interpretation and I would not hesitate to fight it in court if I were charged with firing a pellet/bb rifle since technically the air discharge is NOT being used to explode a catridge or any explosive substance.

reads to me like you can't shoot an airgun to explode something by shooting into it. ie, it's unlawful to shoot aerosol cans, etc....not sure.

1. Build a bullet box.

2. Setup air rifle range in basement.

3. Get tons of trigger time with none of the cost.

4. ????

5. Profit or something, I dunno.

1. Build a bullet box.

2. Setup air rifle range in basement.

3. Get tons of trigger time with none of the cost.

4. ????

5. Profit or something, I dunno.

meh.....we have a fully finished basement, I'm not even rsking it inside even under low power. besides, anything under 30ft isn't fun.

let's just say, I'm having fun with this little .22cal Can't wait to take it out to the farm to clear out some issues we have going there.

MMmmm, think you would probably lose that case. You would be basing your case on the lack of a serial or "Oxford" comma between the word "airgun" and "or other instrument" meaning that those two terms are part of the same described object, correct? I'd take odds that the courts would rule that the law was intended to describe three separate types of device (firearms, airguns(,) or other instrument).

Come to think of it, I THINK this wording was already challenged and upheld in a case several years ago...and I'm pretty sure that there was a change in the wording of the prohibition of blackened taillight covers on the basis of a similar argument regarding comma usage.

MMmmm, think you would probably lose that case. You would be basing your case on the lack of a serial or "Oxford" comma between the word "airgun" and "or other instrument" meaning that those two terms are part of the same described object, correct? I'd take odds that the courts would rule that the law was intended to describe three separate types of device (firearms, airguns(,) or other instrument).

Come to think of it, I THINK this wording was already challenged and upheld in a case several years ago...and I'm pretty sure that there was a change in the wording of the prohibition of blackened taillight covers on the basis of a similar argument regarding comma usage.

I can't speak for legal writing but in normal writing the comma is not required at the end of the list.

Example:

I need to buy milk, cookies, and cocaine.

Is the same as

I need to buy milk, cookies and cocaine.

I can't speak for legal writing but in normal writing the comma is not required at the end of the list.

Example:

I need to buy milk, cookies, and cocaine.

Is the same as

I need to buy milk, cookies and cocaine.

Yep...I find it odd that lawyers and politicians who are entirely capable of drafting a PRECISELY worded law somehow manage to turn out something that will result in years and years of court cases and campaign fodder...:gabe:

Im not arguing punctuation or semantics. I'm arguing against their literal meaning. It specifically states, "...used to explode any cartridge or thing filled with any explosive substance or material."

My paticular airgun does not explode any cartridge or thing filled with any explosive...", ie; a powdered filled catridge (bullet), etc.

Shit, my slingshot is more deadly than my pellet rifle depending on the situation. Though, that's irrelevant here. ;)

I'm getting where you're coming from...but a court will interpret that sentence to refer to three separate and distinctive classes of object: A) firearms, B) airguns, and C) other instrument used to explode..., rather than one inclusive grouping. That usage is common throughout legal wording, even if it technically is grammatically incorrect.

I have House Sparrows like freakin roaches around our house and getting into the attic. They shit everywhere. Lawn furniture, cars, etc. My neighbor tried screening his attic vents and the little bastards tore threw it all. lol

I stopped filling the bird feeders a year ago just because the sparrows were getting ridiculous.

You need to hit CL and pick up even a small .177 cal. gun. I have a nice Crossman 2100 .177 and it will take out a sparrow with just two pumps and very little noise. Hell the other birds around don't even budge.

I'm down 4 squirrels which continually tore up my flowerbeds and knocked down all kinds of deal branches for me to pick up

Down 2 rabbits that constantly eat all our hostas (I have about 4 more to bag)

Down about a dozen or so PIA birds that were shitting all over my porch. Today I can say there's no shit on my deck, the hostas are safer and the flowerbeds are still clean.

I'm getting where you're coming from...but a court will interpret that sentence to refer to three separate and distinctive classes of object: A) firearms, B) airguns, and C) other instrument used to explode..., rather than one inclusive grouping. That usage is common throughout legal wording, even if it technically is grammatically incorrect.

I don't doubt that which is why I don't shoot it around the house. But you better believe I wouldn't go down without trying. :)

You need to hit CL and pick up even a small .177 cal. gun. I have a nice Crossman 2100 .177 and it will take out a sparrow with just two pumps and very little noise. Hell the other birds around don't even budge.

I'm down 4 squirrels which continually tore up my flowerbeds and knocked down all kinds of deal branches for me to pick up

Down 2 rabbits that constantly eat all our hostas (I have about 4 more to bag)

Down about a dozen or so PIA birds that were shitting all over my porch. Today I can say there's no shit on my deck, the hostas are safer and the flowerbeds are still clean.

I have quite a nasty pellet rifle. And it's fed me alot of rabbit. lol At 10 pumps, that fucker is loud! I miss my old .22 pellet rifle. I wish I could remember the name of it. Wood stock. I feel like it was single pump, too, but that memory's pretty shady. Fuck all, that thing was powerful and accurate, though.

The only Hosta that I have that the rabbits dont eat is green with white around outside. The tore the rest of it apart. Same with deer. They wont touch it either. I was told they dont like it.

Skunks on the other hand I hate those lil bastards. Wont stay out of my garden.