Is it Grand Theft Auto if...

Sully

Is it GTA if you go out of town for work and a family member that is staying with you takes the keys from a drawer in the kitchen and takes your car for a 30 minute joy ride? In the process of driving the car out of the driveway, the person hits something on your property and damages the front bumper cover of your car. If this happened to you, how would you handle it?

Yes, this my family member who took my car without my permission. What should I do?

P.S. The next door neighbors witnessed this person take the car.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Spam
TWOC- Taken without owner consent is what that would be charged against him. It really depends on how much of a dick you want to be. I would ask him what happened to your car, see if he admits it. If he does, i would just make him pay to fix it. If he doesnt, press charges.

Had you reported it stolen, yes. My guess is that he would more likely be charged with something similar to unauthorized use (I'm not that familiar with Ohio's terminology with this one).

It's not a little thing to pursue this, either crime carries a hefty punishment.

age, past expereinces and their willing to pay for damages casued would dictate how id handle the decision

we need more info

exactly. For me, it depends who did it. If it was my oldest brother mike he would apologize and offer to pay the damages no biggie. If it was my other brother he would probably try and blame me for leaving the keys accessible and i would have to make him pay the damages.

Is this family member a responsible adult?

age, past expereinces and their willing to pay for damages casued would dictate how id handle the decision

we need more info

What more info do you need? I pretty much covered everything.

It is my aunt. She is on probation for other charges, non vehicle related. She is about 55 yrs old.

My plan is to talk to her tonight and give her a chance to confess.

On one hand, its just a car. Heaps of metal can be fixed and no one was hurt, your car probably isn't worth any less due to this incident. If they're claiming fault and want to make it right, then I'd say they understand what they did was stupid and wrong.

On the other hand, thats a blatant lack of respect and boundaries. Those keys were put in your kitchen drawer with the assumption that only those with permission would take them. Why would this family member assume that you're ok with them taking your car? Have you ever given them reason to believe that its ok? And are they trying to pass off responsibility? If so, hit 'em where it hurts. And for someone that stupid, the only place it'll really hurt is the wallet.

edit: Jesus a 55 year old on probation? She obviously does not learn lessons. What if instead of hitting something on your property, she hit a kid down the street?

It is my aunt. She is on probation for other charges, non vehicle related. She is about 55 yrs old.

You have a couple options. Do you want her to go to jail? Do you just want money? You haven't covered what you want out of this.

55yo aunt with a past recent criminal history....not good. She better have cash in hand when she apologies to me or im calling barney fife. She sounds like a general fuck up based only on the info youve provided

I went out of town last Tuesday afternoon for work. I got back Friday morning. Saturday morning, my aunt and I were standing in my garage talking and I noticed that someone had driven near my flag pole recently. There is gravel around my flag pole and well pump. I walked over to level the gravel back out and noticed that my well pump had been hit and was leaning forward about 6 inches. Right in front of her I said, "What the hell? How and why in the hell does someone hit something on my property and not let me know?" She said "I don't know who would have done that. I never saw anyone in your driveway".

I said "I wonder if I could take my truck and maybe bump it back in place."

She said "I'll get my keys and do it with my truck." So she pushed it back in place for me.

I said "Thanks, but you really didn't have to do that." She said "Yes I did".

I had pretty much let it go. Fast forward to today.

I get in my TA this morning. I noticed both side mirrors were moved in and down, the rear view mirror was moved down, the steering wheel was all the way up, and the radio was off. I was totally weirded out by all of that. I get to work and just on a hunch, I look at my front bumper. Sure enough, there is a huge, non repairable mark on my bumper cover and spider web cracks all around that area, the same height as the well pump.

I call my next door neighbor and ask him if my TA was out of the garage any day last week. He said that he was sitting on his back porch watching tv and saw her pull it out of the garage and was gone for about 30 minutes.

I called her to see if she would be home tonight because I would like to talk to her. She said she would be there about 8:30. So, that is where everything stands right now.

I am going to give her a chance to confess. If she does not, then I will call the Madison Township Police Dept, have them come out, and press charges.

The honest person would not have taken the car in the first place.

The somewhat honest person would admit to their mistakes upfront, pay for damages and apologize out the ass.

A dishonest person would take the car, do damage and then hide from it.

If you never found out she would never have owned up to the damage or the act

Another string of poor decisions where she obviously has a long history of

You have a couple options. Do you want her to go to jail? Do you just want money? You haven't covered what you want out of this.

I want her to confess, apologize and pay for the repair, whether it be out of pocket, or through her insurance.

Yeah, if she's willing to do something like that and not make it right, she won't learn and she'll end up getting more bold another time. She might even get confident enough to drive the TA like a maniac and end up hurting someone. You're doing yourself -and her- a favor if you wash your hands of it.

The honest person would not have taken the car in the first place.

The somewhat honest person would admit to their mistakes upfront, pay for damages and apologize out the ass.

A dishonest person would take the car, do damage and then hide from it.

If you never found out she would never have owned up to the damage or the act

Another string of poor decisions where she obviously has a long history of

100% agreed. I will confront her tonight and see how she handles it. No matter what happens, she will not be allowed back in the house after tonight.

100% agreed. I will confront her tonight and see how she handles it. No matter what happens, she will not be allowed back in the house after tonight.

Id ask to make sure your neighbors stayed home tonight so that if she doesn't own up to it, they can give a statement to the police when you contact them for the report

I want her to confess, apologize and pay for the repair, whether it be out of pocket, or through her insurance.

That's different than wanting to press charges for unauthorized use. You want something civil out of this but you're turning it into a criminal matter. If you want it to be civil, sue her. The attorney can advise about how to handle things on the criminal side as well.

This is one of the things she could be charged with. There are more charges that can be brought if they want to.

Unauthorized use of a vehicle.

(A) No person shall knowingly use or operate an aircraft, motor vehicle, motorcycle, motorboat, or other motor-propelled vehicle without the consent of the owner or person authorized to give consent.

(B) No person shall knowingly use or operate an aircraft, motor vehicle, motorboat, or other motor-propelled vehicle without the consent of the owner or person authorized to give consent, and either remove it from this state or keep possession of it for more than forty-eight hours.

© The following are affirmative defenses to a charge under this section:

(1) At the time of the alleged offense, the actor, though mistaken, reasonably believed that the actor was authorized to use or operate the property.

(2) At the time of the alleged offense, the actor reasonably believed that the owner or person empowered to give consent would authorize the actor to use or operate the property.

(D)(1) Whoever violates this section is guilty of unauthorized use of a vehicle.

(2) Except as otherwise provided in division (D)(4) of this section, a violation of division (A) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(3) Except as otherwise provided in division (D)(4) of this section, a violation of division (B) of this section is a felony of the fifth degree.

(4) If the victim of the offense is an elderly person or disabled adult and if the victim incurs a loss as a result of the violation, a violation of division (A) or (B) of this section is whichever of the following is applicable:

(a) Except as otherwise provided in division (D)(4)(b), ©, (d), or (e) of this section, a felony of the fifth degree;

(b) If the loss to the victim is five hundred dollars or more and is less than five thousand dollars, a felony of the fourth degree;

© If the loss to the victim is five thousand dollars or more and is less than twenty-five thousand dollars, a felony of the third degree;

(d) If the loss to the victim is twenty-five thousand dollars or more, a felony of the second degree.

Id ask to make sure your neighbors stayed home tonight so that if she doesn't own up to it, they can give a statement to the police when you contact them for the report

This.

It sounds like there's a good chance you will be pressing charges. She obviously had plenty of time to own up to her actions and make it right, and she didn't. Given that she's 55 yr old on probation, she sounds like the type that likes to learn things the hard way. Hopefully dealing with this situation properly doesn't cause too much tension with your other family and relatives.

That's different than wanting to press charges for unauthorized use. You want something civil out of this but you're turning it into a criminal matter.

Yes, my attempt is to try to keep this as civil as possible. Once I confront her about it tonight, how she responds will determine how I handle it.