Focus Power steering Issue

jeffro

Good evening all. I come to you in a time of dire need.

Saturday my Power steering pump started whining. Whether it was driving in a straight line, or turning the steering wheel, theres a constant reminder of an issue while the engine is running.

I checked the power steering fluid levels and it was okay, so its not leaking. I did however notice that there was tiny bubbles inside the resevior when the car was running.

Are these the symptoms of a bad pump? The whining is definitely coming from the pump. The car has 89k miles.

2002 Ford Focus SE.

Thanks in advance.

double check for leaks, sounds like air is entering the system... turn the wheel all the way to the right against the lock and turn the car off, let it sit for 15 minutes.. this should remove all air from the system. unless there is a reoccurring leak

AllData says to do what Derek says BUT, once it is at lock and shut off, apply 15 in Hg to the system for 5 minutes. Then repeat with the wheels all the way to the left. If noise is still there, repeat. If the noise is still there, let it sit overnight and then repeat. It also says to make sure you are using Mercon V fluid (not P/S).

AllData says to do what Derek says BUT, once it is at lock and shut off, apply 15 in Hg to the system for 5 minutes. Then repeat with the wheels all the way to the left. If noise is still there, repeat. If the noise is still there, let it sit overnight and then repeat. It also says to make sure you are using Mercon V fluid (not P/S).

wat?

thanks, ill give those things a try.

+1 for all the advice above.

One other issue I've seen cause a noisy pump - plugged filter which is built into the steering fluid reservoir on some cars. The added restriction was causing the pump to starve for fluid.

+1 for all the advice above.

One other issue I've seen cause a noisy pump - plugged filter which is built into the steering fluid reservoir on some cars. The added restriction was causing the pump to starve for fluid.

my dad suggested this. I need to get in there and take it apart before i buy a new pump.