what to do???

Hahn

Im deploying next month and will be parking my truck in the garage for the 13 mths im gone. What needs to be done to insure that the truck remains in as good of shape as when i left it? What to do with fluids, gas, tires, etc. Anything will help and thanks in advance fellas.

-Hahn

If its a newer truck, just putting some stabilizer in the fuel, and taking the battery out would be top of my list. I might set it on jack stands so it doesn't flat spot the tires. If its a older I'd pull the spark plugs and squirt a little oil in the cylinders and just turn it over before putting the plugs back in, keep in mind it would be best to pull the plugs and turn it over when you take it out of storage to ensure there is excess oil left in there. If you take it easy when you get it out and run through the stablized fuel it should be fine.

But what is better then all that would be to let someone you trust drive it once a week while you're gone.

Take the battery out, and leave it on a tender if possible. I'd do a quick oil change, and some of the other fluids. Make sure to put some stabil in the tank as well. Fill up on some 93 while you're at it. I always left my vehicles at home when I went across the pond. It takes a minute to get it out of government storage when you get back. I just caught wind of the 37th going to Trashcanistan. Have fun.

Put a couple dryer sheets ( or moth balls ) inside car too and odd as it sounds, on your tailpipes. Had a buddy store his for 04 Cobra for a year while he was overseas and he found rodent droppings all around his tailpipes when he got it back out.

But what is better then all that would be to let someone you trust drive it once a week while you're gone.

IMO, this is the best advice, although once a week might be more than is necessary. My recommendation would be at least once every 3-4 weeks, and each time for a trip long enough to bring engine temps up to normal operating range. Gas stabilizer is a must, as is a high quality battery tender such as Opti-Mate III. I would leave a window cracked open if it's stored somewhere relatively free of insects. If it is a 4WD, that should be engaged as often as the user's manual recommends (for my Tundra, it's monthly for a least 5 miles).

Put a couple dryer sheets ( or moth balls ) inside car too and odd as it sounds, on your tailpipes. Had a buddy store his for 04 Cobra for a year while he was overseas and he found rodent droppings all around his tailpipes when he got it back out.

Depending on where you live, especially if you're by water, this is very good advice. Beware spiders in your exhaust.

I just deployed 2 months ago and went through this. It sucks and its a tough call. I found a friend with the room and care I would want for my cars. He starts them once a month and runs them for 20 to 40 minutes. They are on jack stands and covered. One is on a battery tender and the other is not, but I'm not worried about it. If not for this friend and space available I would have put them I. A storage unit and taken the battery out.

Pm Me where you're heading

I guess i left some info out that would help. Its a 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0 v6 4x4. It will be stored in my garage (not heated). Also as far as having someone drive it once a week or month, my wife would be able to, but i have already arranged for insurance to be placed on hold (This will cut insurance costs in half). But if she just started it would that be good enough along with the other tips mentioned aka jack stands, stabilizer, etc. Thanks again fellas.

Starting helps, but IMHO the truck needs to move for the sake of the tires, brakes, transmission parts, and for all systems to get up to proper operating temps. One trip out per month ....... I guess it seems to me to be very little risk if not a named insured vehicle, but not everyone would be comfortable with any risk at all. I think that if an insured driver, other than your wife, drove the car, it would have some coverage under the driver's insurance. By having your truck insurance "placed on hold," are you at least keeping comprehensive coverage (fire, theft)?

Insurance is with USAA and i had to agree that i would keep the truck garaged the entire time i was gone or else i could get in trouble. But i guess ill call them and see what can be done about having the wife or someone else drive it once monthly since this seems to be the #1 tip. Thanks for the info again fellas, greatly appreciated.

Insurance is with USAA and i had to agree that i would keep the truck garaged the entire time i was gone or else i could get in trouble. But i guess ill call them and see what can be done about having the wife or someone else drive it once monthly since this seems to be the #1 tip. Thanks for the info again fellas, greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind that in Ohio they do random insurance checks. Even if your car is not being used, Ohio has the right to demand proof of insurance on all currently registered vehicles. It doesn't matter what your insurance company says is ok, if you cannot provide proof that your car was insured on the date requested, you can get in trouble. If you plan on putting a hold on insurance, also plan on turning in the registration.

I left in April and have a truck,bike, and car and all three have minimum insurance on them and they are all garaged with full tanks of gas a stabil in them. I don't have anyone driving them and they will be fine when I get back. I disconnected the battery in the truck and the bike is on a tender, the car gets moved in and out when the grass needs mowed so it gets started here and there.

I wouldn't be concerned about leaving it sit for a year personally, of course people all have their own opinions but I've never had an issue.

I'll be gone til at least next April also. If you put insurance on hold or reduced coverage then you do not want to drive it if you get caught there are big fines involved.

Contact USAA about storage insurance. I just sent a copy of my orders to my insurance company and that was it. Covered the vehicle in case of crazy shit happening. If you see an ancient old E5 by the name of Joyce, call him Pappy. :lol: