Canton-ish ride this week anyone?

Harb67

So I'm really itching to get out and ride near Canton this week while I'm home for spring break; anyone game?

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/tenday/USOH0156?from=36hr_topnav_outdoors Looks like Wednesday is rain, and the rest of the week is mid-50's with more rain on the weekend. I'm free any time this week, but the sooner the better IMO :D

I don't really care exactly where/what roads we ride, I just know that Canton has some of the better roads without heading clear down to Coshocton or further south. I have a ~100 mile loop I like to ride that starts at East Canton and circles clockwise east/southeast and ends back in East Canton. I'd be happy to lead a ride on that route if nobody has any ideas, but I can't promise any knee-dragging or really fast paces; I'm not much of a group ride leader mostly because I have very little experience doing so :p (though we wouldn't get lost at all; GPS = woot). I'd rather follow than lead but I'll do what I have to in order to get out and ride :)

If anyone is interested in setting something up lemmie know, I'm up for more or less anything involving twisties :D

Edited by Harb67

What day you lookin' at? Let's check the weather, I have 2 days of work to do this week, and I need dry days to do it. BUT, I'm up for the nicest day for a good ride. I'm in the Portage Lakes.

I'm up for any sunny day really; Wednesday looks like rain and Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday are all high of 56 and partly cloudy. I'd prefer to go Tuesday simply because I'm impatient, but as long as it isn't raining I'm good to go.

Why don't you post the route too, via Google Maps or similar??

..which I think is a good idea for anyone suggesting a group ride...IF they have a route in mind. That way, you might be able to pick up some stragglers if they can't meet you at the starting point...AND everyone has an idea where the group is headed and possible print a copy of the map to bring with them if they have to break off at any point.

Mostly out of sheer paranoia. I mean, a website where a cop can go and have a list of where a bunch of motorcyclists will be at a certain date and time while probably breaking the speed limit? Just when you thought their job couldn't get any easier... (well, the traffic cop part of the job) I remember there was a decent amount of debate about publicly posting routes before a group ride sometime last season, there were good points on both sides of the argument, but I can't remember more than that one for now (it's 2 am cut me some slack lol)

Shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to share a nice convenient link with the full google maps plot of the route. I can tell you that it starts in East Canton, heads east to Lisbon, turns south through Salineville and to Amsterdam, then turns west from Amsterdam until Leesville, then heads up north through Delroy and Waynesburg and continues north back to the starting point in East Canton.

I can tell you that it starts in East Canton, heads east to Lisbon, turns south through Salineville and to Amsterdam, then turns west from Amsterdam until Leesville, then heads up north through Delroy and Waynesburg and continues north back to the starting point in East Canton.

That's a nice route. I've driven it many, many times, my in-laws have a cabin in Bergholz (the town right before Amsterdam) that we take our 4-wheelers to and trail ride. I haven't taken my bike down there yet, but I'm looking forward to it this year. There's some corners that'll sneak up on ya fast if your not careful, I came up on a group ride bike accident 2 years ago right as you come into Bergholz. It looked like the guy hit the corner too hard and ended up off road, unfortunately the guy had to be life-flighted out. It just so happened to be the same turn that I took too hot in my Mustang and spun out @ about 75 and ditched it.

If you get hungry when you're riding through Bergholz, make a left on 2nd Street and eat at Marshall's. Good food at amazingly cheap prices, but they only take cash, no credit cards.

Mostly out of sheer paranoia. I mean, a website where a cop can go and have a list of where a bunch of motorcyclists will be at a certain date and time while probably breaking the speed limit? Just when you thought their job couldn't get any easier... (well, the traffic cop part of the job) I remember there was a decent amount of debate about publicly posting routes before a group ride sometime last season, there were good points on both sides of the argument, but I can't remember more than that one for now (it's 2 am cut me some slack lol)

Shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to share a nice convenient link with the full google maps plot of the route. I can tell you that it starts in East Canton, heads east to Lisbon, turns south through Salineville and to Amsterdam, then turns west from Amsterdam until Leesville, then heads up north through Delroy and Waynesburg and continues north back to the starting point in East Canton.

I know a few local cops and a state trooper (popped me doing triple digits on the turnpike..been good friends since). I assure you, they don't have time to cruise motorcycle forums looking for spots to catch people. There are enough bone heads in cages and on bikes for them to meet their ticket quota, and then some.

Posting routes is something I've/we've done on here and other forums for ages (ok..not ages, but you get my drift). It allows others to tweak it if needed and provide input. I've never had a problem, or heard anyone who has had a problem with 'route jacking'. LOL I just coined a new phrase. I understand that just because I haven't experienced it doesn't make it gospel, but I do believe the threat of that happening is pretty low. Besides, whoever hits that route will most likely NOT be the only group of bikes on the road.

In short..post that fucker up! LOL

Edited by InyaAzz

Hey, I'm still in for tomorrow, but I'll be at home tonight. Ran into some plumbing problems that have to be fixed tonight. I live in the Portage Lakes, so we could meet somewhere around the Arlington exit off 77. Give me a shout out.

Alright so jhl385 and I are meeting near Akron at 10:30 then heading down to East Canton; we'll probably get there around 11:30 or so depending on traffic etc. If anyone wants to meet us in Akron, East Canton, or at any point along the route, post here or call/text me 330-603-6786. I'll be on the boards a lot tonight and I'll check tomorrow morning before I leave, just in case someone posts at the last minute.

Lol was too lazy to turn the computer on after I got back yesterday to even post up about that :p

Great ride; roads were almost completely clear save for a solid strip of salt or gravel or something in the middle of the lane in a few places, but it was mostly in strait areas and not in curves. Ran across one 30-40 foot stretch of what looked like a minefield made of horse shit, but that was more smelly than dangerous and it really gave me a chance to knock the rust off of my countersteering obstacle avoidance skills :p Saw 3 cops total, which is 3 more than I have ever seen on that route before. No tickets though. And I only took 2 wrong turns! One due to my GPS still not knowing how to deal with a particular intersection (tried to fix it and have some faith that the tweaks worked, but it still lead me astray) and one because I wasn't paying attention...that second one resulted in a pretty interesting steep and twisty hill climb up what looked like very fine ground-up asphalt.

Overall it was a really fun ride :)

Again, great meeting ya John!

What day you lookin' at? Let's check the weather, I have 2 days of work to do this week, and I need dry days to do it. BUT, I'm up for the nicest day for a good ride. I'm in the Portage Lakes.

Hey, just wanted to say "hello". I'm in the Lakes as well. I'm on a cruiser, but always looking for someone to ride with!

• 2 weeks later...