VW Bug or Corvair?

zeitgeist57

I was helping a friend of mine out with his '71 Beetle convertible yesterday evening. It's sat for years, rusted out and neglected so I was showing him how to get it running and driveable again. I was really impressed with how simple the aircooled motor is, and even with a few years of not running it ran really well and was fun to drive. I've always been interested in VWs, but also with talking to people over the past few years I've liked the Corvair as another option: air-cooled simple transportation, fun to drive (I guess), economical and classic-cool. Also, the Corvair 2-dr and 4-dr are HARDTOPS, with no b-pillar when you roll down all the windows. Oh yes...and all the cars discussed are stick-shift.

Any opinions with one over the other? Thinking of '65+ Corvair 2dr/4dr/convertible or a '71 SuperBeetle convertible...

This is all hypothetical at this point...Cobra is still the next planned car project. Though, if I found a cheap driver with a backseat for the kids, I would be inclined to get something to bide my time until the time is right for Factory Five...

I would stay away from the super beetle's. Get a standard bug. The super Beetles are the ones that the spare tire sits verticle in the nose. I could type an essay on Beetles, it's really hard to impress me with them as far as condition goes. A Beetle that would be in "great" condition is going to be $7000+ at this point. A good, safe driver that is all there with some floor pan issues that have been "repaired" ie. patched will be somewhere in the $4000-$5000 range.

I would go for the 71 convertible if that all is available. For resale value, I would recommend the 70 and older. VWs are super easy to work on and parts are easy to find once you know the right websites/people. If your only using the car to drive around town when it's warmer out, I would definately go for a convertible. I had two so far in high school and college as daily transportation in Hawaii. A convertible vw just turns it into a whole different driving experience. I doubt though, that the cars would be easy to drive in the snow and you would freeze your ass off regardless if it's convertible or not.

Just be warned, that once you start working on your vw.... you will end up getting hooked on the car.

A not rusty piece of shit version of either in a convertible will blow your budget to bits, and the extent of the rust these cars get will probably also blow your budget to bits when you have to pay to have it fixed. If you must, pick the best, less valuable coupe.

Agreed, it just depends on how much work you are willing to do. It's not that hard to replace the floors,heater channels, and luggage tray on the cars. Probally a weekend or two job with the right tools. The hard part is it is very easy to buy a clean looking car to find out that is basically needs to sand blasted/acid dipped.

Agreed, it just depends on how much work you are willing to do. It's not that hard to replace the floors,heater channels, and luggage tray on the cars. Probally a weekend or two job with the right tools. The hard part is it is very easy to buy a clean looking car to find out that is basically needs to sand blasted/acid dipped.

Ask me how I know...

My Jetta coupe looked mint sans small door rust on pass side. Start taking it apart, rusty floor, rocker panels, etc.

You might have to buy it out west for it to be worth while.

Owning both I can say look for rust. On the 'vair the front crossmember is very prone. Clarks Corvair has pretty much everything you could ever need. I wouldn't worry about having a spider too much. The 40 extra horse you can live with out. Parts for the bug are easy to get. The Corvair, a little harder but it will get infinitely more looks and questions at C&C. And please go for a post '65, '64 and older are fugly.