2006 Malibu Maxx Hotstart Issue

Chadz89GTA

Car is an 06 Malibu Maxx 3.5L that after driving it for 10mins or more has trouble restarting, it acts like it wants to start but just cranks and cranks and cranks. I've checked all the wiring under the hood but havent pulled any of the plastic off to start going through the tb/filters etc. Anything I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks,

Chad

Found this bulletin, says it needs to have the ECM reprogrammed because the starter doesn't disengage.

#06-06-04-049: LX9 Engine Only, Intermittent Extended Crank Time on Hot Engine Restart, Starter Motor May Not Disengage After Engine Start (Reprogram PCM) - (Sep 22, 2006)

Subject: LX9 Engine Only, Intermittent Extended Crank Time On Hot Engine Restart, Starter Motor May Not Disengage After Engine Start (Reprogram PCM)

Models: 2005-2006 Buick Rendezvous, Terraza

2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx

2005-2006 Chevrolet Uplander

2005-2006 Pontiac G6, Montana SV6

2005-2006 Saturn Relay

with 3.5L V6 Engine (VIN L, 8 -- RPO LX9)

Attention: This bulletin only applies to vehicles with EGR valves produced by Delphi. Vehicles built with Seimens EGR valves (production or service) already have the latest calibration.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important: The PCM calibration to address this concern for 2006 vehicles listed in this bulletin will be available in the October 2006 broadcast.

Condition

Some customers may comment on an intermittent extended crank time on hot engine restart and the starter motor may not disengage after engine start.

Correction

Important: Before reprogramming the PCM, verify the customer concern. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle in Vehicle Control Systems in SI. Follow the diagnostics for a possible cause of an extended crank time in hot engine restart. If no trouble is found, reprogram the PCM.

Reprogram the PCM with the latest calibrations if the above concern is encountered. An updated PCM calibration is now available to address this concern. This calibration, or any that follow, is designed to address this concern. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) using the appropriate Service Information (SI) procedures. The new PCM calibrations will be available to dealerships in TIS2Web (website version of TIS) version 9.5 for 2006 beginning 9/18/06. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

This may not have anything to do with your problem, but nothing comes to mind for a typical issue. You should just check the basics, possible hot electrical component like a relay not functioning all the time.

Don't have a fuel pressure gauge, so making an appt at the stealership. Hope it's not the fuel pump since I just got the car and only put two tanks of gas through it :( Doesn't make sense tho since once it's running it runs great, but every once in awhile it won't start and defaults to cranking itself excessively.

Sounds like GM. I've had numerous GM 6 cylinder cars that have done this and the dealership always tells me its normal. My wife had a Monte Carlo SS years ago that would do this all the time. We kept taking it back since it was such an issue and they couldn't fix it. Then we noticed all the local dealers had little signs in the new vehicles stating that it was normal to take up to a 10 second cranking time.