Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

I think the biggest thing going against Luke is having Bollman as his offensive coordinator, that guy is flat out horrible. If Fickell somehow goes 11-3 with a BCS bowl game victory, how do you explain to future recruits that this just wasn't good enough lol. Thats my whole argument, I say give him 2-3 more years and if he doesnt produce then sure look for someone else, hell we'll be doing the same thing if they hire Urban Meyer so might as well save some cash in the process lol.

Just imagine if Fickell would've had Posey, Boom and Adams back for the Nebraska game, hell even Boom/Adams would've sealed a victory in that game. This team is totally different with those 2 back in the fold. This would be a top 25 team with 2 losses and potentially finishing 12-2 if they are to win out (I don't think they will, but theres always the what if's)

I too have read the rumors about the coaching staff should Meyer be brought in. Supposedly he wants to keep the defensive staff and 1 offensive coach. Many feel the 1 offensive coach being retained would be Stan Drayton as he and Urban worked together at Florida. I would not be totally opposed to this, but still would much rather have Fickell or someone else over Urban lol

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats my whole argument, I say give him 2-3 more years and if he doesnt produce then sure look for someone else, hell we'll be doing the same thing if they hire Urban Meyer so might as well save some cash in the process lol.

I just don't think you can play that kind of game at Ohio State. Ohio State is an elite football program. One of the top 3-5 jobs in the country. Many would argue top 2. You don't just hand the keys over to a guy who has never even been a sole coordinator at any level and see what happens.

Urban Meyer comes in with a real offensive staff and hopefully at least a few pieces from the current defensive staff and this team is favored to win the B1G next season. There's no down period if you bring in Urban Meyer or some other elite-level head coach. It's not like Hoke at Michigan having to repair 3 years of garbage. It's 1 down year due to suspensions and coaching adjustments.

I think OSU will be favored to win the B10 next year regardless of who the coach is to be quite honest, so I don't think that has anything to do with who the head coach is. I would argue that Ohio State may be 3rd or 4th best job in America, behind LSU/Bama and Oklahoma, hell i'd be tempted to put Texas ahead of the OSU job.

They handed the keys over to him this year didn't they? He'll have a years worth of expierence under his belt at what you consider a top 2 program in the country. Urban comes in and the expectations are NCG or bust, my opinion is it will be a whole lot of bust.

No, no Fickell. Get him out, he got the job because of the situation, and that's it. He had a permanent job interview with Miami, MSU, and Nebraska, and failed. I don't care if PSU loses another game, we win out, and somehow win the B1G, get rid of him, and get a real coach. Urban? Fucking awesome. Someone else? Whatever, I don't care, but we need an actual Head Coach.

It wasn't.

And I think it's interesting that people seem to be hopping back on the Fickell bandwagon after a game won by 2 true freshmen just making an incredible, unscripted connection. There was a very logical line of thought coming into this season with regards to Fickell. If he had the team go undefeated or something incredible then you absolutely have to consider him. Otherwise, this is Ohio State and you don't cut your teeth as a head coach here. Thanks for keeping the boat afloat this season in a very trying situation but... this is Ohio State.

BTW - there is a new piece of coaching-related info going around from the same guy who started the Urban/Duke information (again, wasn't "some kid on an OSU board"). Said not to be surprised if Fickell sticks around as assistant head coach. This was thought to be impossible for a few reasons but between the incoming coach supposedly wanting this and Luke really just wanting to stay home it has become possible.

Source? I keep hearing about this Urban/Duke thing but not a single source.

Source? I keep hearing about this Urban/Duke thing but not a single source.

Was discussed a few pages ago. An "insider" on Scout who is not "some kid" talked to someone closer to OSU and more in tune with the whole situation than even he is and posted it probably a little over a week ago now.

Was discussed a few pages ago. An "insider" on Scout who is not "some kid" talked to someone closer to OSU and more in tune with the whole situation than even he is and posted it probably a little over a week ago now.

I might be a drankin the Meyer kool-aid now...

There's still probably a thread or two per month that pop up on OSU boards with people trying to make their argument that not only should Tressel be re-hired but that he will be...lol. Dude's probably getting a 3-5 year show cause penalty.

Haha yeah, honestly he's most likely to be the head coach of the Colts next year. I have a buddy that is close to the owners family and some of them have even said Tress is going to be the next Colts coach fwiw. I dont know how Tressells style translates to the NFL, but it would be interesting to see. I dont think he gets a 3-5 year show cause, maybe 1-2 years. What did Pete Carroll get?

Petey got nothing because he ran away. Bruce Pearl got 3 years and his case was all about lying to/misleading the NCAA just like Tressel's so I just assume he gets at least the same.

Well Tress kinda ran away as well, he did resign...Bruce Pearl did multiple violations thus the reason he was hammered. Its funny Pearl's lying involved a future Buckeye in Aaron Craft

Well Tress kinda ran away as well, he did resign...Bruce Pearl did multiple violations thus the reason he was hammered. Its funny Pearl's lying involved a future Buckeye in Aaron Craft

Carroll left before any NOA

We're one miraculous TD pass play away from talking about how OSU's defense collapsed - AGAIN - in the fourth quarter. I say that, regardless of what happens here on out, Fickell can have a legitimate interview for the job, but shouldn't be the first choice on whom is offered the head coaching position. Rather, that should go to someone who has more experience as a head coach. Just my opinion.

I think OSU will be favored to win the B10 next year regardless of who the coach is to be quite honest, so I don't think that has anything to do with who the head coach is. I would argue that Ohio State may be 3rd or 4th best job in America, behind LSU/Bama and Oklahoma, hell i'd be tempted to put Texas ahead of the OSU job.

They handed the keys over to him this year didn't they? He'll have a years worth of expierence under his belt at what you consider a top 2 program in the country. Urban comes in and the expectations are NCG or bust, my opinion is it will be a whole lot of bust.

Whoa, whoa, whoa - LSU a better coaching job than OSU? Okay, I'll concede that both Bama and Texas could be ahead of OSU on that list, but LSU? Have to disagree there. And I'd also disagree on Oklahoma being above OSU (though I'd put them above LSU).

Here are my top 5 - I think the order is debatable.

Texas

Alabama

Ohio State

USC

Notre Dame

Here are my next 5 - again, the order is debatable.

Oklahoma

Michigan

LSU

Florida

Nebraska

We're one miraculous TD pass play away from talking about how OSU's defense collapsed - AGAIN - in the fourth quarter. I say that, regardless of what happens here on out, Fickell can have a legitimate interview for the job, but shouldn't be the first choice on whom is offered the head coaching position. Rather, that should go to someone who has more experience as a head coach. Just my opinion.

Its one td, but against the best scoring team in the big ten. Its not one score... its, oh my goodness we actually scored enough points to be up by one score!!!!! :lol:

He was forced to resign. He had no intention of leaving until the BoT decided the flow of donations had slowed enough that they needed to do something.

And yeah, the Aaron Craft/BBQ stuff is hilarious.

Its one td, but against the best scoring team in the big ten. Its not one score... its, oh my goodness we actually scored enough points to be up by one score!!!!! :lol:

Yeah, exactly. When it was all said and done, I had no idea how we managed to score 33 pts.

my mind was full of fuck.

Whoa, whoa, whoa - LSU a better coaching job than OSU? Okay, I'll concede that both Bama and Texas could be ahead of OSU on that list, but LSU? Have to disagree there. And I'd also disagree on Oklahoma being above OSU (though I'd put them above LSU).

Here are my top 5 - I think the order is debatable.

Texas

Alabama

Ohio State

USC

Notre Dame

Here are my next 5 - again, the order is debatable.

Oklahoma

Michigan

LSU

Florida

Nebraska

I don't think ND, Michigan or Nebraska belong anywhere near the top 5. ND has academic restrictions that will never allow them to be truly elite again unless they just land some incredible coach. Urban Meyer IMO is an incredible coach but he wouldn't go there because of the academic stuff that they wouldn't let him go around. Michigan is closer than ND but they still have a relatively small in-state talent pool to pull from and they have legitimate competition, especially recently, in recruiting with Michigan State. Then Nebraska just has an awful in-state talent pool to choose from. They get some leftovers from around the OK/TX area and the midwest but they don't have a solid base to fall back on should they whiff out of state.

The rest of your top 5 is good IMO. Texas is #1 and always will be #1. Think it's at least 300 D1 prospects every single year in the state. Texas just chooses who they want. They've chosen poorly as of late it seems but once those poor choices are gone they'll be right back. OSU and Alabama are 2a/2b IMO. Smaller markets with no real pro teams to speak of (CBJ isn't a real pro team) so they ARE the pro teams. Ohio has great HS football, Alabama does as well and theirs is only getting better as people continue to migrate south. Then both schools do a great job of plucking elite prospects from their surrounding states when they need to (OSU from PA, MI, IL, etc. and Bama from MS, FL, LA, etc.). USC is in a great situation right now with UCLA so, so down so they get everyone they want in the LA area and will of course do better once their sanctions expire so they're 4 for me as well. I think Oklahoma probably takes that last spot in the top 5. Texas is just so full of great HS talent that Oklahoma does fine pulling 2-3 elite Texas players then leftovers from the top 50 or so in Texas that the Longhorns can't take. And like OSU, Alabama and Texas, it's a small market who just now has the OKC Thunder but OU football is still king in that state of course.

So, cliffs...

1. Texas

2a. OSU

2b. Alabama

4. USC

5. Oklahoma

None of the Florida schools can qualify as a top job because they're cyclical it seems as to who is the top dog in the state and they all have to compete against each other then other elite programs like OSU, Alabama, USC, etc. go in there and pluck a few great prospects every year as well.