Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

Yeah the officiating today was horrible. Back to my heisman talk for a second, how is Monte Ball not in consideration? Look at his stats vs Richardsons

Monte Ball- 1466 29tds 6.6 average plus 5 more TD's receiving

Trent Richardson- 1380 20tds 5.8 average plus 2 more TD's receiving

I just don't see the love fest with Richardson outside of the fact that he plays for Alabama...

Another player that should be looked at is Matt Barkley

3528 yards, 67.6% 39td's 7ints

Compare that to Andrew Luck

3170, 70.3% 35tds 9ints

^^ Luck is playing right now so his stats will go up some, but still pretty close. Is the Heisman awarded to the best player in the country or the best player on one of the best teams that play either RB or QB? Lol

Richardson plays in the SEC. Love the Bucks, and I'm a Big 10 faithful, but if he played in the Big 10 this year, he would have run for 4000 yards and gotten 25 receiving TDs. As far as the media is concerned, everyone knows that championship potential team/conference plays a huge role in the voting. Because yes, numbers to numbers, there are other candidates out there.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I rant for a second?

I'm sick of polls. I just can't get past the fact that it makes little to no sense that we decide who's best in CFB based on a popularity contest.

Think about USC for a second. They are - what, like 10-2? - and just annhilated UCLA, 50 - 0. If this was 2003 to 2008, USC with that record would be top 10, no doubt in my mind. Yet, because it's not 2003 to 2008, they're now unranked.

Notre Dame is another team that comes to mind. If it's 1986 and they were 9-2 (or whatever they were before they got beat by Stanford last night), then they'd be top 10 too.

I'm sick of teams getting credit for tradition and I'm sick of teams getting penalized for perceived "down years." I'm just sick of polls, period.

Wait USC cant be ranked in either poll because of sanctions?

They're tied for 9th with Boise St. in the AP poll. The coaches and Harris polls can't rank them because they aren't eligible for post-season play.

Jim Tressel being talked about as the next coach at Akron

That would be relatively annoying. Would be interesting to see how the NCAA would look at that. He's going to get a show cause. That's a guarantee. But maybe the NCAA doesn't punish Akron for hiring him like they would a Penn State or something. I know right now Fickell is a leading candidate for that job as well too. Part of the reason the Urban announcement wasn't today. Trying to give Fickell as much time as possible to decide between starting a new path as a HC or staying home in an assistant role for a while longer.

If I am Fickell I tell OSU to go fuck themselves and head off to be a head coach elsewhere. I wouldn't go from head guy to second fiddle, its like going from CEO to janitor. Thats just my opinion and if Fick stays then I am ok with that as well.

Notre Dame was 8-4 with the only impressive win being over Michigan State. Other then that they beat the likes of Pitt, Purdue, Air Force, Navy, Wake Forrest, Maryland and Boston College. I hate how they are loved by the media based off what they did pre 1990 lol.

Who's to say Richardson would have 4k yards in the B10? Who's to say Ball wouldn't have the same numbers playing in the SEC. That right there is where most of my hate for the SEC comes from, sure LSU and Bama have good defenses, but hardly anyone else in that league has a fucking defense this year. Yet all you hear about is how fast and how tough or how big and nasty the mighty SEC is. I will root for whoever beats an SEC team in the NCG. I miss the days when the SEC was an after thought! Yes there was a time when the SEC wasn't the be all, end all football conference.

I hate preseason rankings as well, I think we've talked about this before. I believe I stated that whats even dumber then college pre-season rankings, is crowning a national highschool champion via rankings.

The question about Tressel is thouugh what happens if he is under contract before a show cause is handed down

It should be handed down within the next couple weeks along with Ohio State's final sanctions. He won't be hired by anyone before it's all final.

And as for Fickell, there are some rumors (not nevada so I don't trust them as much lol) that he actually helped "recruit" Meyer to OSU. I don't think Fickell is dumb. I don't think he's as smart/wise/savvy as Tressel was, not even close, but I think he's self-aware and I think it's possible he knew he wasn't ready for the job and maybe he did help persuade Meyer to come in. I think he might be a little annoyed by how the Meyer story kinda took over OSU-Michigan week (pounding the table in the post-game interview when asked about it and also during the week saying "I know there's a game on Saturday and my ass is gonna be on the sideline" for example) but I doubt he's angry with OSU over anything. I think if he moves on it won't be "Fuck you, OSU" it'll just be him wanting to start his own path and maybe in 3 years when Meyer has a heart attack he can come in and save the day...lol.

So lets play guess who wrote this, Me or Pat Forde lol:

"The "Urban Myth” line has been worn to a nub with Urban Meyer, but it’s never been more fitting than now.

here’s the mythology meyer has tried to sell us: that a certifiable coaching freak could make a clean break from football for a well-rounded, healthy lifestyle and more time with the kids.

He tried it in 2009 with a sudden and stunning retirement announcement. Florida released a statement that included this sentence from Meyer: “I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.”

More From Pat Forde

Urban Meyer should be announced as the next football coach at Ohio State at any time.

(AP)

The re-evaluation took one day. His urgent health issues disappeared so fast, the joke was that his messianic quarterback, Tim Tebow, cured him. It was one of the shortest retirements in sports history.

Then he tried it in 2010, abruptly retiring again, with this as part of his statement: “At this time in my life … I appreciate the sacrifices my 24/7 profession has demanded of me, and I know it is time to put my focus on my family and life away from the field.”

The focus on family and life away from the field began to blur after less than a year. Because he’s coming back – again. Expect the official announcement at Ohio State to happen anytime.

This isn’t the least bit surprising, though it might have jolted those who most want to believe him.

Two Florida sources told me they expected him to stay out of coaching for a long time – “three or four years” one said – in a sincere effort to regain some balance in his life. And as the mess that cost Jim Tressel his job got worse last spring and speculation about Meyer intensified, one of his daughters sent out a strident Tweet saying, “HE IS NOT repeat NOT, GOING TO OHIO STATE.”

Except now he is, not even waiting long enough to hear what the NCAA sanctions will be on the program he’s inheriting. The guy who wanted to slow his life down has gone full-speed ahead back into the job.

Buckeyes fans are in a justifiable tizzy over landing a superstar coach with two national titles. But Meyer’s phony retirements have damaged his credibility along the way to his new multimillion-dollar gig.

When Meyer stepped down last December, I caught a lot of heat from Florida fans for writing the following:

“So you’re Urban Meyer. … And maybe you really are filled with middle-aged regret about living an unbalanced life that leaves too little time for your wife and kids. So you do this. You listen to the family this time around. You walk away from one of the two best jobs in your profession (Texas is the other) at somewhere near the peak of your career. … You’re Dick Vermeil of the college game, and the pursuit of glory no longer justifies the grind of getting there.

“If those things are true, and Meyer is ready to enter a rewarding new phase of life as a paternal bleacher creature, watching his three kids play sports, so be it. Wish him godspeed and good health. …

“But if Meyer suddenly shows up in Denver to coach Tebow, he’s a con man of the highest order. If he changes his mind and comes back to Florida before it hires someone else, he’s a diva even [brett] Favre would disdain. If he takes another job a year from now, his family will know once and for all where it ranks in his personal hierarchy of needs.

“Guess we’ll wait and see who the real Urban Meyer is.”

We didn’t have to wait long. And I suspect that some of the Florida fans who were mad at me last year for not buying the company line are mad at their former hero now.

The real Urban Meyer is a guy who forfeited believability a few conflicting stories ago. He was sick, then he was healthy, then he was sick again … and now apparently he’s fine just in time to take a Cadillac job in his home state at a school he grew up revering.

What wonderful timing.

What really made Meyer sick at Florida? I have some guesses.

Watching his top-ranked, undefeated team get crushed by Alabama in the 2009 SEC title game made him sick. Losing five games the next year and enduring the first disappointing season of his career made him sick. Looking at recruiting classes that didn’t stack up on the field the way they stacked up on paper, especially five-star quarterbacks and receivers, made him sick.

[Related: Dan Wetzel: Brady Hoke delivers Michigan victory as rivalry with Ohio State ramps up ]

Like many other great coaches, losing kills Urban Meyer. The defeats are far more painful than the victories are enjoyable – which proves to be a powerful motivator to do everything possible to avoid defeat. When the bottom fell out at Florida after Tebow and coordinators Charlie Strong and Dan Mullen left, the thought of selling a spoiled fan base on a protracted rebuilding process might have been enough to make a man ill.

So he bailed on Gator Nation at the first sign of professional struggle.

From there he went to ESPN, where TV work also is not ideal for family life. At Florida, there were six or seven home games every fall; in TV, there are none. I was on a flight with Meyer one Saturday this autumn, and he was schlepping his carry-on luggage (complete with Gators logo) through the Atlanta airport just like the rest of us.

Being king of a college town is better, right?

There is every reason to believe Meyer will be king in Columbus. It’s harder to win a national title there than at Florida, but easier to win your league. And the one thing Ohio State must do to compete with the SEC kingpins – sign some Southern speed and athleticism – should be easier now that they’re coached by a guy whose name still resonates with recruits in Florida.

Urban Meyer will win big, all right. But his credibility is only an Urban myth."

Can I rant for a second?

I'm sick of polls. I just can't get past the fact that it makes little to no sense that we decide who's best in CFB based on a popularity contest.

Think about USC for a second. They are - what, like 10-2? - and just annhilated UCLA, 50 - 0. If this was 2003 to 2008, USC with that record would be top 10, no doubt in my mind. Yet, because it's not 2003 to 2008, they're now unranked.

Notre Dame is another team that comes to mind. If it's 1986 and they were 9-2 (or whatever they were before they got beat by Stanford last night), then they'd be top 10 too.

I'm sick of teams getting credit for tradition and I'm sick of teams getting penalized for perceived "down years." I'm just sick of polls, period.

USC is ranked in the AP poll. Just not the BCS since they are banned from bowls. They are No. 9 or something. But yes, Polls sucks.

It's official, Urban's Agent has released a statement, Urban has accepted the head coach position at Ohio State. Was "breaking News" :lolguy: at 7:25am on Mike and Mike. 7 year 40million contract.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7289592/urban-meyer-joins-ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-1-year-hiatus-sources-say

Sources: Urban Meyer joins Ohio State

Former Florida Gators coach Urban Meyer has taken the head coaching job at Ohio State, sources confirmed to ESPN on Monday morning.

Meyer had worked as a game analyst this season for the network. But he requested off his appearance this weekend as reports swirled of his imminent hire with the Buckeyes.

Sources told WKMG-TV in Orlando last week that Meyer would be introduced in coming days after agreeing to a seven-year, $40 million deal.

Surprised there isn't a new thread already...lol.

Now that's it's really, really, really real I'll spill the tidbit from nevada for alittlelessordinary...

nevada got into a back and forth with a poster early last week talking about Urban Meyer stuff. nevada said something about if Michigan wins they should enjoy it because it's going to be a rough 15 years once Urban comes in. Someone said, naturally, "No way Urban is here 15 years. No way." nevada responded with... "He plans on 20. Not a guess."

This is the job Urban always wanted, no matter what Domers would like you to believe. He's from Ohio, he coached at Ohio State, he carried a Buckeye in his pocket throughout his entire coaching career, has the Woody painting in his house, his dad who recently passed away was the biggest OSU fan in the world, etc., etc. He wants this to be his final job. Now what he wants and what he can handle may be entirely different but those are his intentions as he accepts this job.

Roflmao 20 years, wow thanks for making my morning start with some laughter :) Sure he might be saying that, what else would he say "I'm gonna be there til Braxton graduates", no way in hell does this guy last 20 years, 5-7 will be pushing it.

Thanks for the tidbit though, it did make my morning better. BTW if his plan is to stay 20 years, say goodbye to Fickell.