Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like Fickell is staying:

New Ohio State coach Urban Meyer met with a small group of reporters today in Columbus. Some highlights from what Meyer had to say:

• Meyer said current assistant coaches Stan Drayton and Taver Johnson will remain on the staff, along with Luke Fickell. He hasn't yet decided on linebackers coach Mike Vrabel. Meyer said he would announce his full staff on Jan. 3, one day after the TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl.
  • Meyer said he didn't understand some of the consternation about Ohio State being granted a waiver so it could have extra coaches on staff during the transition. Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon was among those who voiced his displeasure about it. Meyer said he received the same waiver when he was hired at Florida.
  • The Buckeyes will run Meyer's spread offense, but it won't just be a spread. Meyer said attacking the perimeter of a defense is key, but that's not all you have to do in the Big Ten. "Ohio State's still Ohio State," he said. "We're going to turn around and smack (people) ... That will be a part of who we are, probably more than we've done, because of who we have." Meyer said he would incorporate the I-formation in his offense and that he likes new offensive coordinator Tom Herman because Herman is open to ideas instead of married to his own system.
  • Meyer has told recruits not to expect heavy sanctions from the NCAA, which could issue its ruling on the Ohio State infractions case sometime this week. Though Meyer doesn't know for sure what's coming down, he said he has spoken to friends in the NCAA and feels secure that there won't be a bowl ban or other heavy penalties. Meyer said he would work to prevent future rules violations. "If you see something that doesn't look right, you go like a torpedo and go blow the whole thing up and then go put it back together," he said. "We had that approach in Florida."
  • Meyer doesn't plan to go to Jacksonville to watch the Gator Bowl. He said he might not even watch it on TV because he is so close to both Florida and Ohio State.

Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon was among those who voiced his displeasure about it. Meyer said he received the same waiver when he was hired at Florida.

I am pretty sure that Rich Rod was granted the same waiver when he was hired at scUM back in Dec of 2007. I don't know what Dave Brandon is bitching about. NCAA grants these waivers every time a new coach is hired, it is nothing new. I guess it is that time of the month for Dave Brandon and he just needed something to bitch about.

This guy makes being an Ohio State fan fun. If he attacks the other team the way he does off the field proprities we could be that team putting up 40-60 points. Probably not next year but in a few years.

I am hoping for 60+ points. Urban will make me want to stay till end of the game even if we are up by 30 points in the third quarter. He will make it the entire game fun to watch and unpredictable.

I am pretty sure that Rich Rod was granted the same waiver when he was hired at scUM back in Dec of 2007. I don't know what Dave Brandon is bitching about. NCAA grants these waivers every time a new coach is hired, it is nothing new. I guess it is that time of the month for Dave Brandon and he just needed something to bitch about.

They really looked silly coming out and bitching about it. These things are very common. I didn't see the outrage when Mora and Beckman got the same privileges at UCLA and Illinois respectively. Maybe it's because neither of them are in the same galaxy as Urban as far as recruiting is concerned.

Also, OSU's final official sanctions will be announced today at 3PM. The level of mad nationwide is going to be staggering.

inb4 osu is ranked top 10 in pre season polls.

Already happened...

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/very-early-college-football-top-25-2012

I think top 10-15 would be more appropriate.

It still hasn't fully sunk in for me that Meyer is the head coach. Right now he's just this mysterious presence that is maneuvering OSU and positioning them for the future behind the scenes. Once I see him run the team out either for the spring game or for the season opener it will fully hit me.

He's only done like 3 interviews since he was hired (short, crappy one with Dimitrious Stanley embarrassing himself on 97.1, one with Dan Patrick which was good then one on a Cleveland station that I didn't catch all of) so I'm still not even sure it's real...lol.

He's only done like 3 interviews since he was hired (short, crappy one with Dimitrious Stanley embarrassing himself on 97.1, one with Dan Patrick which was good then one on a Cleveland station that I didn't catch all of) so I'm still not even sure it's real...lol.

97.1 is such shit. I only listen for game broadcasts anymore. 610 has much better informed football analysts and they just are so much more pleasing to listen to. Common Man, Turd and Neft need to be run out of town.

97.1 is such shit. I only listen for game broadcasts anymore. 610 has much better informed football analysts and they just are so much more pleasing to listen to. Common Man, Turd and Neft need to be run out of town.

I'm not sure why, but I listen to 97.1, and I find myself being continuously annoyed by them.

Adam Neft is easily the most tangential person I've ever heard talk. And I've heard a lot of floridly psychotic people talk. That dude takes 20 minutes to make a single, often irrelevant point:

"Ohio State is going to play Florida in the Gator Bowl on January 2. Now, I don't know about you guys, but here's the thing. I'm a guy that likes football. And when I watch - I don't know about all of you - but I'm not an expert, I just like to watch. I watch it on my nice T.V. Well, I think it's nice. It's probably not that nice to some of you, but it's nice to me. Some of you might have the 72-inch plasma screen HD high def 3D TVs, but I just have a plain old ordinary TV that sits in my living room and I watch it. I mean, it's like when your wife or your girlfriend comes in and says, "Honey, what' on TV?" and you say, "Football." Because you're a guy like me and most of the people listening. It's like when you go to Red Lobster and you ask, 'What's on the menu?' and the waiter says, 'Lobster.' Of course it's lobster - it's Red Lobster! And of course there's football on - it's Ohio State and Florida in the Gator Bowl."

Shoot me in the face.

I'm not sure why, but I listen to 97.1, and I find myself being continuously annoyed by them.

Adam Neft is easily the most tangential person I've ever heard talk. And I've heard a lot of floridly psychotic people talk. That dude takes 20 minutes to make a single, often irrelevant point:

"ramble."

Shoot me in the face.

LOL so true. What got me was when Common Man and Turd were complaining about people complaining about the RB's not being able to find the hole in the Oline. "This isn't PS3, there is supposed to be 1 hole and the RB hits it. It's the Oline's fault!" A caller proceeds to call in and start to explain how a zone blocking scheme works, they proceeded to call him and idiot and hang up on him. I vowed to never listen to them at that moment

Oh, and when I called Turd a moron on Twitter when he kept saying he had "MORE BIG TORUBLING NEWS ABOUT OSU" and it was that ESPN was still poking around campus. He responded to me something like "another one of those moron fans"

LOL so true. What got me was when Common Man and Turd were complaining about people complaining about the RB's not being able to find the hole in the Oline. "This isn't PS3, there is supposed to be 1 hole and the RB hits it. It's the Oline's fault!" A caller proceeds to call in and start to explain how a zone blocking scheme works, they proceeded to call him and idiot and hang up on him. I vowed to never listen to them at that moment

Oh, and when I called Turd a moron on Twitter when he kept saying he had "MORE BIG TORUBLING NEWS ABOUT OSU" and it was that ESPN was still poking around campus. He responded to me something like "another one of those moron fans"

Yeah, they never seem to let anyone talk when they call in. That's how Colin Cowherd is:

Caller: "Hey Colin, love the show. I was wondering about USC and -"

Colin: "USC IS THE GREATEST FOOTBALL PROGRAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE AND BLAH BLAH BLIGGITY BLAH"

Common Man and Torg do the same thing to callers, yet they make fun of Colin. The hypocrisy runs deep.

I love Cowherd. Will never give up listening to him. First time I ever listened to his show I thought it was a local show. Was at the end of the 2005 season. He was slobbering over OSU. I know he has a bit of a soft spot for OSU (he got his first job in sports thanks to OSU insider nevadabuck...lol) so anytime he jabs OSU fans with SEC talk I know he's just doing it for ratings. Heck, he admits that he does it for ratings most of the time. He talks more college football than anyone on national radio so I have to listen.

The local crap on 97.1... just shit as everyone else said. I vowed to never willingly listen to Ricordati/Torgerson after the epic Federer/Nadal match I think at Wimbledon 3-4 years ago. It was just an incredible match regardless of whether or not you're a die-hard tennis fan or not and they just wrote it off because tennis isn't a manly sport. Either of them would have a heart attack 15 minutes into a tennis match. Just turned it off and was done.

Before Torgerson became a regular (was just a fill-in guy) he was in Ricordati's place one day with Spielman and said Arizona-Arizona State is a rivalry on the same level as OSU-Michigan. Just lol'd uncontrollably.

Epic failure by Gene Smith. He should be dead by sunset.

How do you accept the Gator Bowl with this coming down the pipe? He has to be gone.

9 scholarships total over 3 years and another year of probation means nothing really. Being banned from post-season play next year hurts.

Epic failure by Gene Smith. He should be dead by sunset.

How do you accept the Gator Bowl with this coming down the pipe? He has to be gone.

9 scholarships total over 3 years and another year of probation means nothing really. Being banned from post-season play next year hurts.

He was right there. No school with similar charges has ever received a bowl ban. The NCAA is most likely trying to shed the "OSU is the NCAA's golden child" talk.