Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vacating wins is pointless. everyone knows we already won the games. fucks given: 0

True, but I kind of wanted Ohio State to be a dick about it.

"Oh, okay, you want to ban us from the bowl? Okay, well we take back us vacating those wins then. Yup, we smoked Arkansas - hang that Sugar Bowl champion banner back up."

So you think OSU would have gotten a 2-year post-season ban?

yep.

I think the NCAA saw how cocky we were acting, saying we were sure we wouldn't be getting a ban, blah blah blah. Hiring a hotshot coach. Accepting a bowl bid this year. We practically had a 2 year bowl ban, sugar bowl wiped, and next year. Gene offers up this years bowl as sacrifice, and shuts his mouth, we have a postseason next year.

Edited by sol740

I really don't think OSU's arrogance or sudden rush of good fortune had anything to do with the COI's decision. As much as people want to hate on the NCAA I really don't think they're evil and saw OSU starting to rebound and think to themselves... "we really need to get them now". I think this was simply a massive blunder by a moron named Gene Smith.

Either way what's done is done and Gene will get his... moving on.

5* RB Bri'onte Dunn got done what he needed to get done to graduate early and will be enrolling in January.

nevadabuck on Scout (even though he's always wrong...lol) gave a numbers update as it pertains to the 82-82-82 penalty.

OSU right this moment, with the current commits (19) and the transfer of Taylor Graham, is sitting pretty right at 82. Expect 3 medical waivers (McVey and Fellows for sure, don't know the third). Expect 1 maybe 2 current commits not to make it in academically (no idea who - pre-Urban kids though). Expect 2 probably 3 current players to transfer before fall camp.

Long story short, OSU is very comfortable taking 6-8 more kids in the 2012 class.

The way the 82-82-82 works is that the roster has to be down to 82 by the start of fall camp. It can get a little tricky if you have a big class and no natural attrition but for the most part that penalty will merely eliminate Ohio State's ability to award 4th and 5th year walk-ons with a leftover scholarship for their final year of college as Tressel loved to do.

Word is Southward (WR from FL) is gonna decomit and verbal to yet another school...just what i've been reading. I wonder who the the players are with academic issues as I like all the pre-Urban commits, those guys to me are true Buckeyes. They agreed to become part of the University during a shit storm. Not saying I dont like the guys Urban has got, but the other ones are kinda looked at diferently. I sure hope Nevada is wrong about this one too :lolguy:

I think the NCAA saw how cocky we were acting, saying we were sure we wouldn't be getting a ban, blah blah blah. Hiring a hotshot coach. Accepting a bowl bid this year. We practically had a 2 year bowl ban, sugar bowl wiped, and next year. Gene offers up this years bowl as sacrifice, and shuts his mouth, we have a postseason next year.

I don't think that is the issue either. The NCAA was taking a lot of heat for OSU being the "golden child" or whatever + feeling dumb about letting the tat 5 play in the Sugar Bow + violations. OSU talked to the NCAA before accepting the Gator Bowl and they said it was fine to accept. The Sugar Bowl being vacated is most likely moot in the NCAA's eyes, as they had declared the players eligible at that point. That was just a stupid stupid move to vacate that game.

Do people really think that they NCAA would have ruled on December 20th that OSU had a bowl ban for the year they had already declined a game if OSU had banned itself? Don't think so.

I think the NCAA saw how cocky Gene Smith was acting, saying we were sure we wouldn't be getting a ban

Fixed

Gene offers up this years bowl as sacrifice, and shuts his mouth, we have a postseason next year.

In no way, shape, or form is this statement correct.

Do people really think that they NCAA would have ruled on December 20th that OSU had a bowl ban for the year they had already declined a game if OSU had banned itself? Don't think so.

Well, the NCAA was fine with some of OSU's self-imposed sanctions so... yeah, I think there's a strong possibility that the NCAA wouldn't hand out basically a 2-year bowl ban in a case where a 1-year bowl ban was somewhat unprecedented.

Word is Southward (WR from FL) is gonna decomit and verbal to yet another school...just what i've been reading. I wonder who the the players are with academic issues as I like all the pre-Urban commits, those guys to me are true Buckeyes. They agreed to become part of the University during a shit storm. Not saying I dont like the guys Urban has got, but the other ones are kinda looked at diferently. I sure hope Nevada is wrong about this one too :lolguy:

Yeah, any kid who stayed on board through all of that crap is pretty special. But it's not like Urban is pushing them out. They just didn't hold up their end academically. Southward has been talking about visiting Florida. If he did that Urban would most likely cut him loose. He's a kid a lot of people think wouldn't have had a standing offer from Urban anyways and he kinda slipped in before Urban came in to lock his spot.

Well, the NCAA was fine with some of OSU's self-imposed sanctions so... yeah, I think there's a strong possibility that the NCAA wouldn't hand out basically a 2-year bowl ban in a case where a 1-year bowl ban was somewhat unprecedented.

They almost doubled the scholarship penalty on the FTM (lets not forget they were slapped with "repeat violater" status) yet you think there is a strong possiblity they wouldn't have doubled a self imposed Bowl Ban? Give me a break. OSU wasn't going to get a 2012 Bowl no matter what their self imposed penalties were otherwise

They almost doubled the scholarship penalty on the FTM (lets not forget they were slapped with "repeat violater" status) yet you think there is a strong possiblity they wouldn't have doubled a self imposed Bowl Ban? Give me a break. OSU wasn't going to get a 2012 Bowl no matter what their self imposed penalties were otherwise

Did they double the probation? Did they double the vacated wins? Did they double the amount of money OSU was set to pay back from their BCS cut?

The scholarship number was right where people expected it all along and most thought the probation and scholarship numbers would increase as OSU probably kept them a little lower than they should have been to give the NCAA some room to add some on to give off the impression that they were hitting OSU hard.

I mean, if you want to keep going on believing that the NCAA was going to hand out a 2-year bowl ban in a case where a 1-year bowl ban was practically unheard of then no one can stop you.

Either way, it all comes back to Gene Smith's supposed insight and connection with the COI being an absolute farce. HE didn't expect any bowl ban so he took the Gator Bowl and we'll never know what would have happened otherwise.

Did they double the probation? Did they double the vacated wins? Did they double the amount of money OSU was set to pay back from their BCS cut?
They added 1 year to the probation. The other 2 have nothing to do with the FTM and the repeat violater status. Those were soley from Tress knowing about the tat 5.

Either way, it all comes back to Gene Smith's supposed insight and connection with the COI being an absolute farce. HE didn't expect any bowl ban so he took the Gator Bowl and we'll never know what would have happened otherwise.

He spoke with the NCAA before accepting the bid. Why do you keep ignoring this. This was reported by Schad.

In no way, shape, or form is this statement correct.

I respectfully disagree, but there is no way to know for sure either way. I would have preferred laying this shit bowl out there to find out. Piousness, and offerings to the NCAA overlords.

Zach Smith hired as WR coach. Earle Bruce's grandson and worked under Meyer at UF then for former Meyer assistants at other programs the last 2 seasons.

Wasn't he at Temple last? I know this had been a hot rumor. I think they still need to hire a DL/OL and special team coach iirc

Defensive staff is full. Vrabel or Fickell will coach DL.

Fickell is going to be Co-DC and AHC. If Johnson turns down OSU, Fickell will probably then be DL. Johnson already has an outstanding offer from Meyer. Plenty of sources to back this up.

Fickell is going to be Co-DC and AHC. If Johnson turns down OSU, Fickell will probably then be DL. Johnson already has an outstanding offer from Meyer. Plenty of sources to back this up.

No credible sources that I've read. Joe Schad reporting it? :lolguy:

No credible sources that I've read. Joe Schad reporting it? :lolguy:

You're retarded. First off, there are TONS of sources saying Johnson has been offered a position.

Second, Schad was not the only source to report that OSU had asked the NCAA if they were going to have a bowl ban before accepting the bowl bid, he was merely one of the most well known to confirm a rumor that has been around since early December. It's not something he made up.