Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

The thing is people had been harping all along that Gene Smith and his connections with the NCAA were going to keep him very much in the loop. The fact that OSU just accepted the Gator Bowl invite and this still happened shows that his old connections meant absolutely nothing. He's a useless turd.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is people had been harping all along that Gene Smith and his connections with the NCAA were going to keep him very much in the loop. The fact that OSU just accepted the Gator Bowl invite and this still happened shows that his old connections meant absolutely nothing. He's a useless turd.

I honestly think the NCAA is being more underhanded than you are letting on to. I understand you want to blame someone, but the NCAA is the one going against their own precedents here.

I honestly think the NCAA is being more underhanded than you are letting on to. I understand you want to blame someone, but the NCAA is the one going against their own precedents here.

I'm not blaming Gene for what the NCAA did, I'm blaming him for what he didn't do. If he was as connected as everyone said he was supposed to be thanks to his former position on the COI then he should have known this was possible and self-imposed a bowl ban for this year. Now, the kids who are largely responsible for this crap in the first place get to go to Florida for a nice little winter vacation and the leftovers have to sit at home next year because of them. If there was even a 1% chance of a bowl ban, a bowl ban should have been self-imposed. The only way you don't do a bowl ban is if you've been assured that there won't be one. Or if you're incompetent as Smith clearly is.

I'm not blaming Gene for what the NCAA did, I'm blaming him for what he didn't do. If he was as connected as everyone said he was supposed to be thanks to his former position on the COI then he should have known this was possible and self-imposed a bowl ban for this year. Now, the kids who are largely responsible for this crap in the first place get to go to Florida for a nice little winter vacation and the leftovers have to sit at home next year because of them. If there was even a 1% chance of a bowl ban, a bowl ban should have been self-imposed. The only way you don't do a bowl ban is if you've been assured that there won't be one. Or if you're incompetent as Smith clearly is.

I promise you the NCAA is trying to make a statement and would have banned OSU in 2012 too. I think that is the thing, there wasn't supposed to be any chance of a bowl ban. not even a 1% chance.

Again, don't care what the NCAA was trying to do. Just saying the one saving grace Gene Smith had through this entire thing were his supposed connections to the NCAA so that he'd know stuff ahead of time and they amounted to nothing.

And I believe he was deceived.

The NCAA just put on an elaborate 4 month deception of one of their "own". They delayed punishment till after bowl bids. They assured no bowl ban. Their own precedent said no bowl ban. I don't care who the AD was, the NCAA was going to pull this underhanded move on anyone in order to make a statement. If OSU had a bowl ban this year, the NCAA would have just added another year. They were going to do whatever they could to flex their "muscle".

Just like they are going to step into Penn State to do the same. A place and situation they do not belong.

That's an interesting take but I find it much easier to believe that Gene Smith is merely incompetent.

The NCAA is out to punish the Urban Meyer coached, rebounding OSU team. They are out to make a statement. Why would they care to ban a 6-6 Luke Fickell coached team from a toilet bowl? That's not the message they are trying to send. The NCAA is PISSED about this whole thing. OSU made them look stupid, letting the Tat 5 play then all this shit goes down.

Look, I think Gene Smith has had a ton of fuck ups. I personally think this was beyond him, or anyone.

So do you think Dan and Devier should get to play?

Yes. The admins are the ones who got the school served with a bowl ban. Tressel lying and compliance not monitoring the boosters.

So do you think Dan and Devier should get to play?

why not? They've served their suspensions. in my mind they could have easily said fuck it and jumped ship. but they stayed, did their time and have earned the right to play in the last game of the season (and last game of Posey's college career).

And so much for Nevadabuck being accurate, now you see why I don't believe much that comes out of his mouth. I believe I was the one that said OSU would get hammered by the NCAA...

The 2013 class that everyone feels was going to be the #1 class in the country just took a major hit. As did the 2014 class

How does the 9 schollies break down?

2012=3 (were done recruiting basically)

2013=3

2014=3

I don't know, the kids next year get punished for the senior's mistakes, if they don't sell their shit , and Posey continued to take $$ after he was told not to do so, now he gets a vacation to Florida? I feel for the kids that did nothing wrong. Maybe OSU will play like crap next year and not make a bowl anyway. It will suck if they go undefeated though.