2015 Mustang to get IRS!

Dr. Apex

It's long overdue, though it's sad it took this long and they're only doing it so they can sell it overseas. With only U.S. sales it would likely stay a live axle but Ford wants to sell it to europe and some other places.

Cool thing too is Ford says they will give it a newer, nicer interior with updated electronics....though I hear MyFord touch is a PITA to operate.

I'd personally rather the solid axel, and wish the Camaro would have stayed that way too. It's an american car and if Europe wants it then they can buy it the American way, and with or without IRS they will because before you know it they're gonna wanna make it FWD too. It's just not the American Muscle car way.

I'd personally rather the solid axel, and wish the Camaro would have stayed that way too. It's an american car and if Europe wants it then they can buy it the American way, and with or without IRS they will because before you know it they're gonna wanna make it FWD too. It's just not the American Muscle car way.

lol

:dumb:

lol

:dumb:

It's a car that didn't have a purpose to be the most comfortable ride or to be the absolute best at a salom course. If you want an independent suspension then you're proly really not wanting a Mustang anyway, it's like comparing an STI to a Cobra. It's not for the same purpose and has different set ups for different reasons.

Ford has very much impressed me with the handling they are capable of squeezing out of the current Live Rear Axle. I'd be all about an IRS Mustang, though I'm not sure why they couldn't sell both. Didn't some fbodies have IRS ? Maybe I'm wrong here with my fbody knowledge.

I know, someone kick me in the balls.

Ford has very much impressed me with the handling they are capable of squeezing out of the current Live Rear Axle. I'd be all about an IRS Mustang, though I'm not sure why they couldn't sell both. Didn't some fbodies have IRS ? Maybe I'm wrong here with my fbody knowledge.

I know, someone kick me in the balls.

I think they could most definitely make both, but it's about cost and human interest. It would take way more time and money to make both and more than likely it wouldn't pay off. But the current Fbody has IRS but I believe it's the first.

It's a simple advancement that will improve the car in many ways. Sure, Ford could keep the live axle and while their there letting things be, why not go completely retro and ditch modern EFI and revert to a carburetor? Hell, ditch everything and bring back the flathead. If you want a 60's muscle car, buy a muscle car from the 60's.

It's a simple advancement that will improve the car in many ways. Sure, Ford could keep the live axle and while their there letting things be, why not go completely retro and ditch modern EFI and revert to a carburetor? Hell, ditch everything and bring back the flathead. If you want a 60's muscle car, buy a muscle car from the 60's.

Finally

<3

It's about making the change for the right reason. In 1988 Chevy decided to go with IFS in full size trucks. Some people liked the change: Better ride, smooth, better handling etc. but in turn when they traded it they lost that strength that is sometimes required in a HD full size truck. Dodge and Ford both recognized the system and used IFS in half tons while maintaining the straight in 3/4 ton and up. It's the same concept, if you made changes for the better while still recognizing some of the uses a Mustang is used for then that's gonna be the best option.

It's about making the change for the right reason. In 1988 Chevy decided to go with IFS in full size trucks. Some people liked the change: Better ride, smooth, better handling etc. but in turn when they traded it they lost that strength that is sometimes required in a HD full size truck. Dodge and Ford both recognized the system and used IFS in half tons while maintaining the straight in 3/4 ton and up. It's the same concept, if you made changes for the better while still recognizing some of the uses a Mustang is used for then that's gonna be the best option.

Problem: Overseas sales are lagging

Cause: Likely missing IRS

Solution: Install IRS and increase sales

Sounds like it's the right reason to me. You realize the IRS was installed in Mustangs in the past, and the only reason it wasn't put in all of them is due to weight? It is superior in many ways.

Edit: Also, the Mustang is not a 3/4 ton truck.

Not totally true. Some enthusiasts of the stang love live axel(let's be honest ford makes excellent and strong rear ends) for drag racing. Look at what most people do with 03-04 cobras when they get very fast, they put a live axel in it.

Don't be so closed minded

I know not everyone is going to buy a stang for straight line racing, but don't think that IRS is end all be all.

I think they just need to make solid rear ends an orderable option. Like a mini drag pack option. On the main subject though, I think it will be cool though seeing the Stang with an IRS. I've heard it and the camaro are both going smaller for there next redesigns, so it will be interesting to see how they perform

Some enthusiasts of the stang love live axel(let's be honest ford makes excellent and strong rear ends) for drag racing. I know not everyone is going to buy a stang for straight line racing, but don't think that IRS is end all be all.

"Some enthusiast", there's the key word. The live axle caters only to a small group of people these days. Most people that own mustangs could care less about the live axle and more about an all around comfortable performance car. The rest of the world is doing fine at the race track without live axles under their cars, Ford is finally getting with the times!!

Cool thing too is Ford says they will give it a newer, nicer interior with updated electronics....though I hear MyFord touch is a PITA to operate.

Yay a sporty car without a totally garbage econo-box interior :)

Oh wait, the mustang just got $5k more expensive :(

Yay a sporty car without a totally garbage econo-box interior :)

Oh wait, the mustang just got $5k more expensive :(

Make it more than that in the next decade, Obama and the car makers just agreed to new CAFE standards for 2016 with an average of around 62mpg. More emissions controls, more mpgs = more money. While were doing better for the environment were adding a lot of cost to these vehicles so were certainly not saving ourselves any money.