Make My Car Go Mid 10's

wagner

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no transbrake is made for street use period no automatic is gona like 240psi of pressure for long periords of time. were talking racing wich is what u want a tranny that can hold 1000hp with ease and a brake to launch consistant. not everyone wants to spend 3000 on just a tranny then have to buy controllers for it or many other supporting parts. th400 = cheapest for racing, outside a powerglide but they are more money and often dont like a heavy car. so how much is a rpm level what ever it is? i bet its more than a free th400 with a brake and drum upgrade.

It depends again on what the ultimate goal is. If he wants something that he can drive around, is streetable, and controlled by the factory PCM, then built 4L65E or 4L80E.

Who cares how much marginally cheaper the TH400 is. Then you add the fabrication requirements, another shifter, plus the fact you lose true automatic shifting since now it's a manual valve body. Want a lock-up converter while racing? Add the additional support and the fact you have to flip a switch while racing. Want that nice highway cruising at a decent RPM? Go look up the cost of a Gear Vendors overdrive unit, that will put him in the range of a build 4LxxE.

Steve doesn't like his TH400 setup and wants to go back to a T-56. I don't blame him since his highways RPMs are ridiculous and his tranny temps scare me.

So factor in Brian shipping his tranny out for a build that costs $2400 versus a TH400, the conversion parts needed to make it work, and the overall hassle/ Yeah, I think spending a bit more is worth it.

But it doesn't matter, let him decide.

It depends again on what the ultimate goal is. If he wants something that he can drive around, is streetable, and controlled by the factory PCM, then built 4L65E or 4L80E.

Who cares how much marginally cheaper the TH400 is. Then you add the fabrication requirements, another shifter, plus the fact you lose true automatic shifting since now it's a manual valve body. Want a lock-up converter while racing? Add the additional support and the fact you have to flip a switch while racing. Want that nice highway cruising at a decent RPM? Go look up the cost of a Gear Vendors overdrive unit, that will put him in the range of a build 4LxxE.

Steve doesn't like his TH400 setup and wants to go back to a T-56. I don't blame him since his highways RPMs are ridiculous and his tranny temps scare me.

So factor in Brian shipping his tranny out for a build that costs $2400 versus a TH400, the conversion parts needed to make it work, and the overall hassle/ Yeah, I think spending a bit more is worth it.

This is what I have been thinking about. Anthony and Scott both have a vaild point, it depends what route I go. After looking at everything on LS1 Tech, I am starting to see more of a path for this project.

IF the car is going to see less street use and more track it will get the TH400 with a brake.

I need something that can still be driven on the street, and I can get around a softer launch with a few other tricks :)

I'm not pulling any of this outta my ass, either. I actually started converting to a TH350 a few years ago, then once I started getting into the actual process of mating it into my car, I dropped the project and had my tranny done the right way.

When I hot lap my car, I see 180* tranny temps. Steve told me he sees than cruising on the highway. He also sees another 1000 RPMs that I do at 70mph.

I'm gonna pull 9s on a factory transmission type, and still retain the benefits of overall drivability. Watch me.

I'm not pulling any of this outta my ass, either. I actually started converting to a TH350 a few years ago, then once I started getting into the actual process of mating it into my car, I dropped the project and had my tranny done the right way.

When I hot lap my car, I see 180* tranny temps. Steve told me he sees than cruising on the highway. He also sees another 1000 RPMs that I do at 70mph.

I'm gonna pull 9s on a factory transmission type, and still retain the benefits of overall drivability. Watch me.

I have to fully agree with this. A 4L60 will do it in an f-body making around 700 wheel, maybe a little less.

Truth

If I build up mine, i'm going crazy 60e or jump to an 80e. I know of too many people that went to the 400 and HATE it. Even know of a guy with a 400 and gear vendor and he still hates it and wants to go to an 80e.

If he has goals of sustained highway use yes don't plan on making a th400 a first choice. The cost of a gear vendors is 2000 alone and still won't change the fact that a th400 brake is 200 to 250 psi wich will build a lot of heat if he just wants to cruise arround at 45 mph cruise a lil while then I see no issue. My tranny temps never got over 185 driving all over grovecity 4 or 5 pulls 3 or 4 pulls on the dyno and my cooler is in the bed and with the cooling fan off. However highway at 60mph is a huge nono. Kills pump and centersupport. Supposidly hughes has scarf cut teflon sealing rings wich are supposed to make that problem go away. I ordered some from them but they haven't came in yet. All I know is I've went 8s for 4 yrs 9s for 2 yrs and 11s and 10s for 5yrs all on the same th400 with a hipsters brake. And I've driven all over but at 55 and below and the furthest I've went is deercreek. But that was mostly cause I hate sitting in my truck very cramped and seats suck plastic jegs buckets. And I'm not shure that all steves trans temp issues are just cause its a th400. Could be just the jegs converter not having a turbo specific stator or tranny cooler location. Mine is hard pressed to ever see 190 deg track or street.

Well this thread is actually helping me out, and I hope it helps others. Based on what people have posted and what I have read I am going to go with an OD trans for now.

I did see where Speed Inc sells everything you need to swap a TH350 or 400 in an Fbody. Looking at that price when it is all said and done, I will have the exact same amount of money (if not more) in that set up vs an OD trans.

Steve, if you want to shoot me a number on your setup I might actually know someone who wants it.

If he has goals of sustained highway use yes don't plan on making a th400 a first choice. The cost of a gear vendors is 2000 alone and still won't change the fact that a th400 brake is 200 to 250 psi wich will build a lot of heat if he just wants to cruise arround at 45 mph cruise a lil while then I see no issue. My tranny temps never got over 185 driving all over grovecity 4 or 5 pulls 3 or 4 pulls on the dyno and my cooler is in the bed and with the cooling fan off. However highway at 60mph is a huge nono. Kills pump and centersupport. Supposidly hughes has scarf cut teflon sealing rings wich are supposed to make that problem go away. I ordered some from them but they haven't came in yet. All I know is I've went 8s for 4 yrs 9s for 2 yrs and 11s and 10s for 5yrs all on the same th400 with a hipsters brake. And I've driven all over but at 55 and below and the furthest I've went is deercreek. But that was mostly cause I hate sitting in my truck very cramped and seats suck plastic jegs buckets. And I'm not shure that all steves trans temp issues are just cause its a th400. Could be just the jegs converter not having a turbo specific stator or tranny cooler location. Mine is hard pressed to ever see 190 deg track or street.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j350/zszatkowski/imagesCAONWP3I.jpg

Keep weight in mind going turbo, car could easily become a pig. 4l80e, iron block, steel roll bar, turbo stuff will add up quick. If I had to pick I would do:

built 4l60e

Decent cam

budget heads

Nitrous (100-150 shot)

Shocks

Toque arm

Drive shaft

12 bolt

15" wheels

Chromolly rollbar

racetronix fuel pump and hotwire kit

Weight reduction:

-Loose AC

-Come up with an exhaust with no cat back, retains a muffler to keep quiet on the street and use cutouts at the track.

-15" wheels will reduce weight

Keep weight in mind going turbo, car could easily become a pig. 4l80e, iron block, steel roll bar, turbo stuff will add up quick. If I had to pick I would do:

built 4l60e

Decent cam

budget heads

Nitrous (100-150 shot)

Shocks

Toque arm

Drive shaft

12 bolt

15" wheels

Chromolly rollbar

racetronix fuel pump and hotwire kit

Weight reduction:

-Loose AC

-Come up with an exhaust with no cat back, retains a muffler to keep quiet on the street and use cutouts at the track.

-15" wheels will reduce weight

yea but you would have to have that bottle filled all the time..... all that nitrous adds up quick lol

Is this your new set up ???? Your going to need a trailer for that race car.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j350/zszatkowski/15351204-351-Lenco-Transmission-CS1-1.jpg

That's the new transmission going in my 89 camaro. I'm proably gona build the 370" ls motor with twin 76s and try for a 7 sec street car. !

And wagner don't forget that half the cars in the 10.5 class are former cars in the 8.90 class so their trap speed is what wins the race.

That's the new transmission going in my 89 camaro. I'm proably gona build the 370" ls motor with twin 76s and try for a 7 sec street car. !

And wagner don't forget that half the cars in the 10.5 class are former cars in the 8.90 class so their trap speed is what wins the race.

It will never be a street car because you will never be able to get the carb right in it

I know evan with a bad tune and a bunch of problems my carb is still fast enuf to run to the 1/8th mile mark get on the brakes and run a 10.000. Wich is faster than 98% of cr and if I make a full pass the junk carb is faster than 99%.

needs moar!!!!!!

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j350/zszatkowski/imagesCAWHP3L7.jpg

not really here ya go something that just came out

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j350/zszatkowski/2566_35.jpg