Any Excel Wizards on here?

AC66Bronco

Here is what I am trying to do.

I am trying to make cell colors change if a data source is changed from a different value. The problem is that the data source will never be the same.

For instance if the data source is 5 and you change it to say 4 I want any cells that are linked to the source cell of 5 to change to a different color. But it won’t always be 5.

Anyone got any ideas?

Been messing around with conditional formatting.

Conditional Formatting > Highlighting Cell Rules > Format only cells that contain cell value equal to...then select a cell?

right but everything is going to be constantly changing. this is for a financial application.

what would i set the cell equal to if for instance 5 is not always going to be 5 it could be 50000000000000000

maybe i am confused.

Your question's got me confused. Lettuce say that you have a set of values in your B column and some of these values in the column play a part of an equation in the C column. You want column C cells to change color if thevalues change as a result of the value in B being changed?

I guess if I am understanding that correctly I don't see the point. Anyway, Greg's close but you want to use "What-if Analysis" not conditional formatting.

So you are saying is you want 5 to be red for all the cells associated with it and have them all turn blue if you change the 5 to 4? Is the value of the associated cells going to change as well or just the primary source(5)?

If you change the value of the 5 and it is a part of the other formulas it will be the same

:dumb:

If you change the value of the 5 and it is a part of the other formulas it will be the same

:dumb:

Not if 5 in intself is its own formula thats formatted in a way to reflect different values based on whats entered. I have similar ones Ive had to make for work over the years.

Your question's got me confused. Lettuce say that you have a set of values in your B column and some of these values in the column play a part of an equation in the C column. You want column C cells to change color if thevalues change as a result of the value in B being changed?

I guess if I am understanding that correctly I don't see the point. Anyway, Greg's close but you want to use "What-if Analysis" not conditional formatting.

DING WINNER!!!!!

However column b will almost never have the same values.

starting to think macro...

DING WINNER!!!!!

However column b will almost never have the same values.

starting to think macro...

What exactly do you need to highlight the change for? I'm just thinking out loud here but when I am doing accounting work and I change a number, I already have foresight of what's going to change as a result. Are you running scenarios? I mean, are you changing this number and trying to see what input yields a certain result? If so, use goal seek under what-if analysis. If you're running multiple scenarios, I would create a data table.

Brian you and I were on the right/same page I was just being a dick, sorry.

What exactly do you need to highlight the change for? I'm just thinking out loud here but when I am doing accounting work and I change a number, I already have foresight of what's going to change as a result. Are you running scenarios? I mean, are you changing this number and trying to see what input yields a certain result? If so, use goal seek under what-if analysis. If you're running multiple scenarios, I would create a data table.

Its all fun...but you did make me read over it like 5000 times to see if I messed up on my explanation :lol:

It is more for training new ppl so they can see that it changed.

Ill have to read up on the goal seek and what if analysis. me no good with them lol

TY very much!:megusta: