Beginner DSLR cameras?

iwashmycar

So heres the deal. My wife has always wanted to start getting more into photography.

I was thinking it would make a really excellent Xmas gift this year. It does not have to be thousands of dollars / pro camera or anything. I just did not know what is a good setup to start out with? From my breif research it seems there are quite a few different lenses to consider and whatnot.

The Canon Rebels seem to be a nice starting point. Like the EOS T3.

Just looking for insight...or maybe some questions that I have not thought of.

Thanks

Man, you are really going to get a mix of input. Most people are loyal to their brand.

I just got my first DSLR this yr. and Its a Nikon D3100. I absolutely love it. You can pick up a kit with 2 lenses (18-55 and 55-200mm) lenses and the bag and everything for $700 at costco. The menus are intuitive, the camera's potential is awesome. Also its light. for $200 I got a 35mm prime lens F1.8 and it rarely leaves my camera. Makes it great to walk around. Also it does 1080p video.

My friend just picked up a T3 for his family to use. And I messed with it for an hour with as much of an open mind as I could. I just didn't like it. It felt cheap, lack of grip? The menus didn't work for me, but maybe its because I've already been nikon brain washed. They did purchase it with a 75mm to 300mm kit lens which is nice, plus their kit lens had a metal mount. All the nikon kit lenses were plastic mount, but my other ones purchased later were metal mount.

However the lenses for Canon are a bit cheaper, but I don't think its a huge deal.

Im a nikon guy with a d5000, a d40 for my first camera. I would say for a first time though cannon are perfect, cheaper lens's and user friendly. But like Trish said I would stay with cannon or nikon. They are high quality and more accessory options.

My only objection to going with one brand and then switching is that the lenses you buy after the fact won't work when you decide to switch.

I was in the same boat about 1.5 years ago.

To me Canon and Nikon were the only brands to look at as others have stated. I decided to go Canon becasue my good friend shoots with one and additional lenses seemed to be a bit cheaper.

The model I got was the Rebel XS, very literally their cheapest, entry level unit. Honestly it's a great fit for me, I never really progressed with my photography to the point where I felt I needed any more. I also never got as serious about my photography as I could have as the passion faded a bit after initial use.

I have 3 lenses, external flash, tripod, etc and the camera does everything I ever wanted it to do. Think the camera itself was right aroudn $520 when I got it.

Andy

• 1 month later...
What do you all think about the micro 4/3 formats?

Thinking about a better camera too. I don't think I really want or need a full DSLR or the size of one. But I definitely want something better than than a typical point-and-shoot.

The newer Nikon V1 or Sony NEX7 is what I believe you're looking at? Nice cameras. The Sony has the edge, especially in terms of image sensor and Image Quality. The downside to these is the costs. The cameras aren't cheap and the lenses are not only limiting, but expensive and in the end, you might as well end up buying a DSLR. Size is of a concern I know and that's precisely why I looked at both hard, but in the end, my dollars go further with other gear.

The only other downside to 4/3 format is the lack of Depth of Field. It's bad enough with non-full size sensor DSLR's but with 4/3'rds it's really tough.

In P&S or really bridge camera group, the Canon G12 is a very nice model.

I picked up a Nikon d40 for Under 300 dollars used. It has been a dream and has already paid for itself in one summer of photos. The camera still has a lot more features then I understand but is easy to use. LIGHTWEIGHT (thats for you Jesse you extreme backpacker)

Someone gave me the link dont remember who but...http://columbuscameragroup.com/category/used-products/digital-used-products/

As further follow up I just want to add to all those looking at DSLR's, keep in mind the real quality is going to show through the lens. All pun intended. I just did a set of edits for a customer with a nice Nikon body and a kit lens and the lens didn't do the body any justice at all. He may as well have had a 5yr old body instead of a nice $1,700 one.

I picked up a Nikon d40 for Under 300 dollars used. It has been a dream and has already paid for itself in one summer of photos. The camera still has a lot more features then I understand but is easy to use. LIGHTWEIGHT (thats for you Jesse you extreme backpacker)

:lolguy:

There's not a chance in hell I'm taking this backpacking, regardless of the size. I'll take a P&S that I don't care about breaking or just use my phone.

But I will carry this around with me in Hawaii and on other trips where I'd rather not carry around a bulky DSLR. My sister and BIL just got a D3100, IDK what I would do with that thing on a trip? I guess if I end up down that road in the future I could carry a backpack... with 3 different lenses... I don't really see myself doing that. For now with a micro 4/3 or high end P&S we can just throw it in the womans purse.

:lolguy:

There's not a chance in hell I'm taking this backpacking, regardless of the size. I'll take a P&S that I don't care about breaking or just use my phone.

But I will carry this around with me in Hawaii and on other trips where I'd rather not carry around a bulky DSLR. My sister and BIL just got a D3100, IDK what I would do with that thing on a trip? I guess if I end up down that road in the future I could carry a backpack... with 3 different lenses... I don't really see myself doing that. For now with a micro 4/3 or high end P&S we can just throw it in the womans purse.

G12. Check it out.

G12. Check it out.

Ya, I'm not going full DSLR, but that's my debate; high end P&S or small format? I really like the idea of interchangeable lenses, but having never had a manual camera before I might do the high end P&S. If I get the small format, don't get into it and never buy another lens I've wasted my money. If I get the high end P&S and really get into it, I will just want the small format 6 months later. Tough life decisions. :lolguy:

The G12 does seem like the way to go with high end, fully manual capable P&Ss.

I skimmed over this, DP's reviews get a bit wordy sometimes. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4333175133/buyers-guide-enthusiast-raw-shooting-compact-cameras

If I get the small format, don't get into it and never buy another lens I've wasted my money. If I get the high end P&S and really get into it, I will just want the small format 6 months later. Tough life decisions. :lolguy:

The G12 does seem like the way to go with high end, fully manual capable P&Ss. Either way, I'll likely buy your used gear :fa: My wife just saw me come home with a new one and was shaking her head. Bought Chris' aka Redlude's old Panny T5 from 2008 and have been having fun with it.

Yes, life decisions are tough. I guess I better get of the computer and shower :o i'm on vacation another week so what the hell........

I guess I better get of the computer and shower :o i'm on vacation another week so what the hell........

:lolguy: Same thing here, I fell like I need to be productive at some point. I'm not sure why I feel the need to be productive. Though, I do have a pretty big to-do list over my break.

Time to go eat some lunch and maybe get some shit done.