Need help from Photographers

harmonda

So...we are planning out our annual dog sledding trips. Going in January and March this year. Last year I experimented with a Flip, Olympus Stylus SW, and an Olympus E520.

The Flip couldn't handle the cold since it averaged -4F during the day. No matter what I did I couldn't keep it warm enough to have any battery life. I used a gorilla pod and the design of the flip was working against it so it rotated when I went airborn and hit hard.

The stylus battery was dead as soon as I tried to use it on the first trip. On the second I had figured out enough to order Olympus' rugged batteries which can handle extreme cold. So..it ran like a champ on the second trip. I never even used the second battery. However, those buttons are extremely small for gloved hands. I wore it on a lanyard around my neck and it was easy to flip in and out.

The E520 was only along for one trip. I know it was criminal to expose it unprotected but it takes such nice photos and video I couldn't help it. I strapped it's bag to my handlebar and pulled off my glove to operate it. Amazingly it endured the conditions well and the battery lasted the whole trip. But that was rough on my hands and I'm surprised I didn't ruin the camera since I rolled the sled a couple times.

I want the right camera/mount combo for this

-temp below 0 day and night (we camp so...no heat at night)

-Battery(ies) to last 3 days (again..camping...no electricity)

-Exposed to snow/ice moving 15-20mph on hard-pack snow, going airborn, high-g turns, potential roll-overs, etc.

-Video and stills

-Very bright, white environment (filter suggestions?)

-I want to be able to hand-hold or mount to a sled made of wooden slats...see pics....The slats are about 2" by 1/2"...look like ash...make up all the structure of the sled. They have a flat oval shape and are curved just about everywhere. Only the handle bar has the grip tape.

-I'd like to adapt what I already have vs. buy a whole new rig like a go pro but I'm open.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7019/6437845911_a43226a898.jpg

sled2 by harmonda, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6437845633_f9dffce552.jpg

sled1 by harmonda, on Flickr

minuses for the flip...it was awkward to mount...I'd like to be able to mount it low for some action sequences. The way it mounts along it's short side means you have to contend with a lot of vibration. Does that make sense? also...I'm thinking the ability to add a filter will be helpful with all that snow but I don't know much about it.

It almost sound like the GoPro Hero 2 is your best bet. The white balance on the 2 is ALOT better than the 1, waterproof case, mountable to almost anything, proven to work well in cold temps http://pointofviewcameras.com/blog/pov/article/yukon-buffalo-hunt-with-the-gopro-hd just bring a few extra batteries.

When you get back, return extra batteries and profit!

For shooting decent photos in a snowy landscape, set your cameras (exposure compensation) to +2/3 or +1. It will brighten up the exposure to make sure the whites turn out white.

Keeping batteries warm and charged in your described environment is a serious challenge. The only cold outdoor and away from power sources thing I do is an annual hocking hills hike. There I keep my battery in my t-shirt pocket which is the closest layer to my body and only take it out when I get to a destination to begin shooting.

For winter astrophotography I have my cameras running on AC power.

Is it possible for you to make an external power pack that you can put next to your body? Otherwise with batteries you can't really do much if you can't keep them warm.

The way it mounts along it's short side means you have to contend with a lot of vibration. Does that make sense?

Yeah, makes sense. Even standing still, it's easy to peg a Flip video by the amount of shaking compared to even small palm-held camcorders.

Is it possible for you to make an external power pack that you can put next to your body? Otherwise with batteries you can't really do much if you can't keep them warm.

Would solar be an option to recharge while not filming? These things don't chew up all that much power, though the added weight could be an issue.