More Birds of Prey

TTQ B4U

Our receptionist has commented on there being an Owl across the street from our office. Let's just say the siting was confirmed.

Canon EOS 40D and Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=472&pictureid=5680

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=472&pictureid=5681

Edited by TTQ B4U

Beautiful pics, Is that a barred owl?

Thanks. I believe it is a Barred Owl.

Great pics. I don't see owl's too often, even though they're pretty big birds.

I don't see them in the city too often. I captured a nice barn out in the country last year but otherwise, I think they hide themselves pretty well.

Love owls. Look at its eyes. Like it'd absorb your soul. lol I've always wanted one as a pet.

We get great horned owls out my way. Looks like a person sitting up in the tree from a distance. With my small dogs and poultry I keep a good lookout.

Impressive, impressive looking animal/bird. And don't you doubt for a moment that fucker won't steal an animal out of your yard. It took the loss of one young kitten and a week of harassing to get rid of a large owl out of my front yard years and years ago. I didn't want to shoot it.

Ooh, ooh! Reminds me of a quick story:

On a 3 wheeler late at night cruising down a dirt road near my house in Lake Limestone. I see an animal in the middle of the road, well, the eyes. I cut my bike and coast to a stop, illuminating a rabbit. It just sits there about 10-15yds away, if that. Without a sound, an large owl swoops down and snags the immediately bleating (pay attention, 'bleating' not 'bleeding') rabbit and is gone into the night. It was fucking awesome. Thing could've attacked my face and I would've never know until it was too late. BTW, owl! Maybe, I was going for the rabbit!

Love owls. Look at its eyes. Like it'd absorb your soul. lol I've always wanted one as a pet.

Impressive, impressive looking animal/bird. And don't you doubt for a moment that fucker won't steal an animal out of your yard. It took the loss of one young kitten and a week of harassing to get rid of a large owl out of my front yard years and years ago. I didn't want to shoot it.

I read that they can pretty much clear out any mice or rodents in your area if you have one living in your yard. I'd love to set up a place for one to build a nest. I've had to take out nearly a dozen squirrels on my own and would much rather have mother nature take care of them.

I read that they can pretty much clear out any mice or rodents in your area if you have one living in your yard. I'd love to set up a place for one to build a nest. I've had to take out nearly a dozen squirrels on my own and would much rather have mother nature take care of them.

My old man, Titan, was an incredible catcher of squirrels. In his younger years, I'd seen him grab them straight out of the air. Sneaky, fast and agile little box of muscles. Miss you, buddy.

Ooh, ooh! Reminds me of a quick story:

On a 3 wheeler late at night cruising down a dirt road near my house in Lake Limestone. I see an animal in the middle of the road, well, the eyes. I cut my bike and coast to a stop, illuminating a rabbit. It just sits there about 10-15yds away, if that. Without a sound, an large owl swoops down and snags the immediately bleating (pay attention, 'bleating' not 'bleeding') rabbit and is gone into the night. It was fucking awesome. Thing could've attacked my face and I would've never know until it was too late. BTW, owl! Maybe, I was going for the rabbit!

When I was younger about 10-12. We had one of those old style Antennas that would spin in a circle so you could pick up just the basic channels. One night was watching tv with my parents and the reception just went out. Heard a loud noise like the antenna was falling off the house. Went outside aimed a flashlight up there. Sitting on there was a Great Horned Owl. It was awesome. Over the next 3-4 weeks we saw it randomly and all the stray cats in the area were gone. Then we never saw it again. Amazing birds.

And great picture.

An owl visits my house quite frequently and sits on top of the barn that is in my sig, which is behind my house. I've never seen him during the day, just hear him at night. When I hear him, I look out my kitchen window and can see his silhouette. From that distance (about 50 yards or so) he looks like a pretty big dude.

A couple weeks ago, the g/f and I were heading to bed and we heard him. She was like "WTF was that?". I laughed and said "That's my owl. He's cool."

Love the 2nd one -- awesome pic :)

I don't think I have ever seen one -- let alone had the camera close to attempt a pic. Hawks are all over with the large field behind the house so you would think they (Owls)would be around too. All I have ever seen mixed in with the Red-tails has been Harrier's in the winter and Osprey's back by the ponds in the summer.

Jeff