For the good knowers of home security systems

XChris1632X

Just recently bought my house and one of the first projects I want to tackle is a good security system for my family. Basically I am looking for everyone opinions on their systems, use of it, brands, prices, blah blah.

So far I am loving the ADT Pulse system from what I read but the fact that they dont share the price or even a base line makes me figure it is stupid high. I have really only browsed ADT so far due to getting specials from USAA bank.

We have Brinks aka someone else now....but the system itself for monitoring is like $35mo Not 100% sure as we auto pay it and never really read the statements.

Install was like $99 for the basics and then we added several upgrades including a few listed here. My personal insights:

• Get the Cell Back up.
  • We have a red flashing strobe outside, although it's rather inconspicuous. Nice as when the cops or fire come rolling, they will have no doubt but to have attention brought to our home. :)
  • Multiple sirens. We have one mounted outside too. Again, completely hidden but loud as shit.

Are you asking about the price for the systems themselves or monitoring?

systems, installs, monitoring, the whole 9 yards, and anything else you want to add. I have never had a monitoring system. I don't even know if they are really worth it.

We have Brinks aka someone else now....but the system itself for monitoring is like $35mo Not 100% sure as we auto pay it and never really read the statements.

Install was like $99 for the basics and then we added several upgrades including a few listed here. My personal insights:

• Get the Cell Back up.
  • We have a red flashing strobe outside, although it's rather inconspicuous. Nice as when the cops or fire come rolling, they will have no doubt but to have attention brought to our home. :)
  • Multiple sirens. We have one mounted outside too. Again, completely hidden but loud as shit.

I like those options. I live out in the country but I have 1 neighbor and I am on a well traveled state route that would notice the attention.

We have adt. Sensors on all doors, sensors on all first floor windows, and basement windows, motion sensors in basement, and first floor that are activated when we leave on vacation. Also, sensors in case the windows break. We also have the smoke detectors wired in to the system. Our control panel vocally states which door in the house opens, and all of the doors have chimes so we know if our kids open any door during the day when the system is off. My detached garage has a separate panel and all the same sensors. No idea how much it costs but it's worth it

I've been going to install a system. Deciding on which company to go with. Anyone have experience with Alarm Force? I'm thinking ADT will have the most customization, but will also be expensive.

At my place one of the main features I want is a driveway sensor. This will only need to be used when we are home and I want it as an early warning that someone is coming. Our driveway is over a quarter mile long and is a bottle neck into our property.

I use a private guy - Scott Epelbaum - who set up my home for $26 a month, nothing up front. Was originally $25 but it went up a dollar once in the last 4 years. My house already had an old '80s Amex Warner security system for doors and windows, but he tested all the contact points and wiring and everything was good. Gemini system, cell phone communication with a battery back-up (since I don't have a landline phone at home), fire/smoke, and a pet-sensitive motion sensor in the main entrance/hallway. He was recommended to me from my bro-in-law, and I've since recommended him to a few other friends who have been very pleased.

• 2 weeks later...
I had ADT like 10 years ago, it was good, they hooked me with free install and set-up, monitoring was $30 something a month. Will be considering it again when I buy another house. My wife loved it, even had a key fob to arm and disarm the house.

I had ADT like 10 years ago, it was good, they hooked me with free install and set-up, monitoring was $30 something a month. Will be considering it again when I buy another house. My wife loved it, even had a key fob to arm and disarm the house.

I like that kind of plan. The biggest thing I am worried about is that on the free installs they include door and window sensors and panel but they are all limited to just a couple. I just see that after needing 12 other sensors, the cost of installation will go through the roof.

The title of this thread causes inter-cranial bleeding.

Read it a few more times and bleed away then. Maybe after enough bleeding you will refuse to post useless information/opinions in the future. Somehow, I strongly doubt that though. ;)

We have adt. Sensors on all doors, sensors on all first floor windows, and basement windows, motion sensors in basement, and first floor that are activated when we leave on vacation. Also, sensors in case the windows break. We also have the smoke detectors wired in to the system. Our control panel vocally states which door in the house opens, and all of the doors have chimes so we know if our kids open any door during the day when the system is off. My detached garage has a separate panel and all the same sensors. No idea how much it costs but it's worth it

Your kids are gonna have a hell of a time trying to sneak out :lolguy:

I just installed one of DSC Security's systems after reviewing many options. Easy to install and set up. I still have to put the sensor out in my driveway, but that will be easy once the weather gets a little better.

I take it that this was a system installed before you purchased the house? This is along the lines of what I am looking for. You happy with it?

I just installed one of DSC Security's systems after reviewing many options. Easy to install and set up. I still have to put the sensor out in my driveway, but that will be easy once the weather gets a little better.

What options do you have setup? I am definatly planning on a driveway sensor.

The system I picked up is the DSC Alexor series.

For now I have door sensors, interior motion detectors in the right places. Alarm audio panels on all three stories of the house so we can hear it well. I'm about to sign up with monitoring, I'm going to go with cellular as the communication medium since we don't have a phone line. Adding IP is easy, but really I just want the thing to make noise and call someone if there is a problem. It can also be set up to text my phone or I could web in to the system for more $$.

The driveway sensor will be cool and I can't wait to install it.