Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

most schools don't have any scholarships to hand out this late in the year with the season kicking off in Sept.

There was a rumor yesterday that the kids who transfer in will not count towards the count of the school they land at. Apparently that is true for this year and the NCAA is still tinkering with the idea of it being true down the line.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big 10's "penalty" is basically just that PSU will not receive their portion of bowl money for as long as they're bowl ineligible. About $~13m a year. Will be donated to charity. So that's over $110m total in "fines" between the NCAA and Big 10.

Big 10's "penalty" is basically just that PSU will not receive their portion of bowl money for as long as they're bowl ineligible. About $~13m a year. Will be donated to charity. So that's over $110m total in "fines" between the NCAA and Big 10.

I believe its intended to take the place of a TV ban so that it doesnt affect the other schools in the conference.

There was a rumor yesterday that the kids who transfer in will not count towards the count of the school they land at. Apparently that is true for this year and the NCAA is still tinkering with the idea of it being true down the line.

I know the players have the option to leave and not sit out a year, but since the season starts in 6 weeks what if they stay for the season and then decide to leave? would they have to sit out a year then or do they still get the free card?

The transfer thing is kinda strange. Kids can go anywhere they like, be immediately eligible and not count towards the schollie count at the school they go to. However, while they don't count this year they will begin to count next year. So a school like USC and tOSU has to watch who they let in the door because it takes away from a kid in 2013, 2014 ect..

I would be suprised honestly to see a lot of current players bail on PSU, I think some of their recruits will be gone but not as many as people are thinking.

I think you'd have to be dumb to have 3+ years of eligibility and stay at PSU at this juncture. You were poised to have a down year this year already and now this happens. And it's only going to get worse. Maybe I'm a disloyal cunt but I'm trying to go just about anywhere that will take me the second I get the news that the program I'm at just got a walking death penalty.

And so it begins:

Joe Schad ‏ @ schadjoe

PSU RB Silas Redd (1,241 yards) considering transfer to USC, per sources

Joe Schad ‏ @ schadjoe

USC has notified PSU it is recruiting Redd, per source

Four-star cornerback Ross Douglas (Avon, Ohio/Avon) decommitted from Penn State, he told ESPN.com in a text message.

I honestly can't name a RB on USC's roster right now. They were irrelevant for 2 years because of the bowl ban so outside of Barkley and some kids we also recruited who they got (Aundrey Walker for example) I know basically no one on that team.

Just glancing at their stats from last season their leading rusher is a returning senior who barely cracked 1,000 yards and had 6 TD's. Their 2nd leading rusher is gone.

Redd gets to go bolster a backfield of a potential national title team. Good for him.

^^ Very suprised with that one as many felt he was gonna go to USC and some even felt OSU had a shot at him. He released a top 5 that had Clemson as his leader just a few days ago.

In OSU recruiting news, the staff has apparently told stud RB Derrick Green that they are no longer activly recruiting him. I think this class ends up full after this weekend.

#16 in the 2013 class just committed, OL Timothy Gardner. Gardner is a kid that previously committed without an offer...oops! He came to Friday Night Lights camp at the shoe on Friday and must've done something right as he finally earned the offer and was quick to pull the trigger, again. Over on the scout board people are all sorts of pissed because he is a 3*, the kid is 6'5 320lbs, you can't teach that. Not to mention he camped in front of Urban as well as a couple guys named Orlando Pace and LeCharles Bentley, idk if they know anything about offensive linemen or not haha.

Many feel the next committ is going to be Mike Mitchell as well as either James Quick or Shelton Gibson, both versitile WR's. Gibson apparently looked like a man amongst boys at the camp, from what I hear its a grade issue holding him back? Definitley not many spots at all left so wouldnt be suprised to see this class fill in next month or so.

Yeah Gibson must have some serious work to do off the field because he's amazing on it.

Gardner committed after one of the camps in June but as you said it wasn't quite a committable offer yet. Staff wanted him to drop 25-30 pounds and come back for FNL. He did just that and looked good out there because of it, Warriner, Pace, Bentley, etc. approval... kid's a Buckeye.

Of course now he has to keep up the good work and keep the weight down and everything to keep the offer. Really like kids like him and Lee who came to multiple camp settings and did things away from campus as well to earn their offers because of how much they wanted to be Buckeyes.

Welp, camp started today. Some of the more interesting notes just from standard interviews and whatnot...

- Bradley Roby had to earn his new #1 jersey and Urban felt that he did enough to do that. Currently the fastest player on the team with a 4.31 40 and with Jordan Hall out for a little while at least, Roby will be the #1 kick returner as well.

- Carlos Hyde has lost some weight, while getting stronger and faster... ran a 4.35 40 and will be returning kicks with Roby. Hyde said when asked what to expect of the offense this season... "A lot of points." Also said the only time they've lined up in the I since Urban got here was near the goal line.

- Braxton feels a lot more comfortable being the leader this season as a sophomore than he did as a freshman. Is eating up the pressure being put on him by the coaching staff to truly control the offense. Worked with the WR's every morning over the summer and really saw improvements from Devin Smith and Philly Brown. Said Smith was both antsy and lazy at times last year but has dedicated himself to being the #1 receiver

- Kenny Hayes asked for and received his release from the program. He was buried on the depth chart and with more and more DL coming in it wasn't going to get any better. Have to think this is partially due to him having to sit out so much due to whatever his headache issues were/are.

Roby is my favorite player on the team currently, not sure how I feel about the whole "earning the #1 jersey", thats a Michigan thing. I wonder if those 40s were electronically timed, if so a 4.31 is fucking flying so is a 4.35 lol. The Hayes situation is supposedly medical related and it opens up a schollie. Alot of people are concerned with Roby returning kicks as we're thin at the DB position

Yeah, I'd assume it's electronically timed. And the OSU track isn't a "fast" track like it was in the mid-00's anymore so those times are legit.

Also, Roby was my favorite player in that class coming in. Thought he'd go the Malcolm Jenkins route and play as a freshman but got redshirted so I turned to Big Hank and he had a really nice freshman year. Sucks that this will probably be the last year for both of them.