Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

I told Phil on my fb that Michigan was exposed as being a fraud Saturday night. They had some lucky breaks last year plus got to play the worst team Ohio State has fielded in 10 years. I agree with Zacks comments. If you look at their schedule I can easily see them losing 2-3 more games

@ Notre Dame

Micigan State

@ Nebraska

@ Ohio State

I think they lose atleast 2 out of those 4 games. Over all I think the B10 is going to have a down year and the true champion wont even be allowed to play in the conference championship game. I think it'll be Wisky vs MSU part 2.

Now while talking to Phil he made the point that Alabama is the best team in the country, re-watching the game I might have to agree with him. They really were just bigger and more physical at every position than Michigan. I really hope someone like LSU can knock them off because I do not want to see them in the NCG for the 3rd time in 4 years. Although I think USC could hang with them and would have the best chance of someone outside the SEC to win it all.

PS: Braxton still throws ducks!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New AP poll (only one that matters IMO)

AP Top 25

RK TEAM RECORD PTS

1 Alabama (45) 1-0 1481

2 USC (11) 1-0 1435

3 LSU (4) 1-0 1382

4 Oregon 1-0 1295

5 Oklahoma 1-0 1170

6 Florida State 1-0 1135

7 Georgia 1-0 1083

8 Arkansas 1-0 992

9 South Carolina 1-0 980

9 West Virginia 1-0 980

11 Michigan State 1-0 915

12 Clemson 1-0 788

13 Wisconsin 1-0 664

14 Ohio State 1-0 634

15 Virginia Tech 1-0 604

16 Nebraska 1-0 603

17 Texas 1-0 584

18 Oklahoma State 1-0 558

19 Michigan 0-1 446

20 TCU 0-0 355

21 Kansas State 1-0 339

22 Notre Dame 1-0 198

23 Louisville 1-0 190

24 Florida 1-0 145

25 Stanford 1-0 131

A few thoughts:

-Alabama should be #1

-Michigan never should have been #8 - and I would have said that pre-massacre vs. Alabama

-Wasn't South Carolina #9 last week? WTF - they looked awful. Wait a minute, I forgot, they play in the SEC and they played an SEC team, so of course it was an epic battle of survival. Now that I think of it, maybe South Carolina should be #2. /sarcasm

P.S. LOL at Michigan falling 11 spots. First, I laugh because I was getting a bit tired of hearing the Michigan fans chirp about how great their team is, etc. Second, I laugh cynically because - again - the SEC gets their cake and can eat it too. Alabama moves up a spot, yet Michigan free falls - so was the result of the game because Alabama is really, really good, or is because Michigan is really, really bad? Both, apparently.

I don't have a problem with Alabama moving up to #1. They played in what was hyped up as a marquee showdown (even though anyone with half a brain knew Michigan was going to lose and potentially lose badly - I knew Bama would put up at least 40 but wasn't entirely sure how inept Michigan would look offensively) and no one near the top really played anyone of note.

And I agree with your thoughts on South Carolina. SEC should just have their own rankings at this point.

Oh, also worth noting, OSU moved up 4 spots despite Andy Staples' mistake of leaving OSU off his ballot completely. Some people left OSU off because they just don't want to rank OSU/don't think OSU is good/whatever. He left OSU off accidentally because he submitted his poll at about 3:30AM...lol.

the sec is not over hyped... can we get passed this? everytime the sec is proclaimed as over hyped, they man handle the " next best " team. minus USC, bama and lsu are pretty much the big dogs again. michigan didnt have a chance, they were outclassed in every single phase of the game. robinson still cant throw, and michigan is small.they will do ok in th b10 but the sec is a mans league. its the NFLs farming system. bama vs usc.... thats all i care to see at this point

Not sure if anyone read/heard about the twitter ban OSU tried to impose a while back with regards to Urban's press conferences. Basically they just wanted to ban people tweeting what was being said during the press conferences as they happened. Lots of people thought this was dumb, OSU would have a hard time enforcing it, Meyer was a control freak, etc., etc. It was lifted the next day after OSU decided it was indeed stupid. People made jokes about it and Meyer having a "change of heart" like he did when he resigned from Florida the first time.

Turns out the only reason it ever existed was because the Dispatch begged OSU to do it because they're sick of people beating them to reporting stuff via social media. OSU tried to be nice to them and do it but in the end it was just too stupid.

Only bringing this up because yesterday Meyer had his teleconference and someone brought it up.

Another nice exchange from yesterday's teleconference...

Bianchi is an Urban troll (think Hooley to Tressel during Tressel's time here) and they do not like each other.

Phil, the SEC as a whole is over-hyped. Alabama is not, and neither is LSU, as both of those teams appear to be dominant and are playing at a level above just about everybody in the recent past. The rest of the SEC? Not so much.

Zack, thanks for the link - that was amusing listening to Meyer get a dig in on that reporter. Yeah, I remember the Twitter ban - makes sense that it stemmed from the Dispatch whining over stuff.

Phil, the SEC as a whole is over-hyped. Alabama is not, and neither is LSU, as both of those teams appear to be dominant and are playing at a level above just about everybody in the recent past. The rest of the SEC? Not so much.

Zack, thanks for the link - that was amusing listening to Meyer get a dig in on that reporter. Yeah, I remember the Twitter ban - makes sense that it stemmed from the Dispatch whining over stuff.

georgia tenn and miss st....... all overated

fla, ark, auburn- not overated, better than the middle of the b10 teams all day.

how i veiw it is take each teams position in their confrence and compare them to another team in another confrence with the same standing position. I.E

BAMA- WISKY (BAMA)

LSU-OSU (LSU)

ARK- MICH ST- ARK

AURBURN- MICH-( MICHIGAN :) )

GEORGIA- NEBRASKA- (NEB)

FLA-ILLINI-( FLA)

SEE what im getting at? do the same with the pac 12/ big 12/ acc... you will see the sec is better top to bottem than the rest of the country.... would you bet vanderbilt coult beat indiana? ill answer that for you, yes vandy is better.

fla, ark, auburn- not overated, better than the middle of the b10 teams all day.

how i veiw it is take each teams position in their confrence and compare them to another team in another confrence with the same standing position. I.E

BAMA- WISKY (BAMA)

LSU-OSU (LSU)

ARK- MICH ST- ARK

GEORGIA- NEBRASKA- (NEB)

FLA-ILLINI-( FLA)

SEE what im getting at? do the same with the pac 12/ big 12/ acc... you will see the sec is better top to bottem than the rest of the country.... would you bet vanderbilt coult beat indiana? ill answer that for you, yes vandy is better.

A defense stops Ark every time. I would take MSU.

I think as of right now, Florida vs Illinois is a push. I really want to see if the new coach at Ill is good enough to take those NFL caliber guys on Ill and get the most out of them. If he does, fucking watch out, Ill could be pretty good the next few years, esp if they can pull recruits like Zook was.

BAMA- WISKY (BAMA)

LSU-OSU (LSU)

ARK- MICH ST- ARK

GEORGIA- NEBRASKA- (NEB)

FLA-ILLINI-( FLA)

I could concede everything you just said - which is that, in essence, the SEC is a better conference top-to-bottom than the B10 - and it would do nothing to detract from my statement that the SEC is over-hyped.

Lets talk about little insignificant teams.... I am willing to bet if WVU was still in BE, they would not be ranked in the top 10... but now they are big 12, so magically that makes them much better.

In other news, I wish UC's AD was smart enough to have jumped ship with everyone else last year from BE...

Lets talk about little insignificant teams.... I am willing to bet if WVU was still in BE, they would not be ranked in the top 10... but now they are big 12, so magically that makes them much better.

False. Geno Smith.

In other news, I took my little one to get another autograph for his OSU helmet. This time it was some guy named Orlando Pace haha. He was a really cool guy and boy he is still large. Might go back tomorrow and get Craig Krenzel to sign it as well. So far the kid has met and gotten autographs from:

Jim Tressel

Mike Doss

Orlando Pace

Clark Kellog

Evan Turner

In other news, I wish UC's AD was smart enough to have jumped ship with everyone else last year from BE...

It's so weird saying WVU is in the Big 12.

I've always quietly kind of liked WVU, though I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it's because I've viewed them as a team that doesn't get enough respect/high enough rankings. I also liked that the shellacked a couple of teams in bowl games in recent years when they were favored to lose (e.g., Oklahoma).

I think WVU could easily win the B12. Oklahoma doesn't impress me. They've never really impressed me in recent years, to tell you the truth. Oklahoma State is still a paper tiger and Texas looks to be quickly becoming Notre Dame of the South. How Texas doesn't have 94 more national championships I'll never know. Is there anyone else in the Big 12 that is thought to be a contender? TCU?

In other news, I took my little one to get another autograph for his OSU helmet. This time it was some guy named Orlando Pace haha. He was a really cool guy and boy he is still large. Might go back tomorrow and get Craig Krenzel to sign it as well. So far the kid has met and gotten autographs from:

Jim Tressel

Mike Doss

Orlando Pace

Clark Kellog

Evan Turner

Orlando Pace should have won the Heisman.

Geno played there last year too..

Yeah, and they also look better than last year when they went 10-3 and thumped Clemson in the bowl game. He is a legit Heisman candidate on a team that is poised to make a run. You sound a little butthurt about the fact that the Big East is even worse than it was last year.

Juicy and LJ - I think you guys are both saying the same thing, which is that WVU is a good team, Geno Smith is a good player, and the Big East isn't very good and doesn't get a lot of respect.

Speaking of the Big East, who in the hell even plays in that conference now? Louisville? Groveport Madison?

Juicy and LJ - I think you guys are both saying the same thing, which is that WVU is a good team, Geno Smith is a good player, and the Big East isn't very good and doesn't get a lot of respect.

Not really, because I think WVU has shown enough from their bowl game last year and so far this year to deserve their ranking, regardless of conference. Juicy is saying that if they were in the Big East, they wouldn't have that ranking. I say they would.

Speaking of the Big East, who in the hell even plays in that conference now? Louisville? Groveport Madison?

Serious answer... they have 8 teams right now...

Cincy

UConn

Louisville

Pitt*

Rutgers

USF

Syracuse*

Temple (football only 2012)

*are ACC after this year

Members joining for all sports in 2013...

UCF (who OSU plays on Saturday)

Houston (lolwut)

Memphis

SMU (lolwut)

Temple

Members joining for just football in 2013...

Boise St. (lolwut)

Navy

San Diego St. (lolwut)

Not really, because I think WVU has shown enough from their bowl game last year and so far this year to deserve their ranking, regardless of conference. Juicy is saying that if they were in the Big East, they wouldn't have that ranking. I say they would.

I think Juicy was being facetious?

Or perhaps I'm just wrong again, which would be far from shocking.

Serious answer... they have 8 teams right now...

Cincy

UConn

Louisville

Pitt*

Rutgers

USF

Syracuse*

Temple (football only 2012)

*are ACC after this year

Members joining for all sports in 2013...

UCF (who OSU plays on Saturday)

Houston (lolwut)

Memphis

SMU (lolwut)

Temple

Members joining for just football in 2013...

Boise St. (lolwut)

Navy

San Diego St. (lolwut)

LOL @ your lolwut's. Seriously, San Diego St - wtf.

Orlando Pace should have won the Heisman.

I agree, I remember hearing as a kid that he would've won had he scored a TD. WTF is that about, dude was dominant as fuck. Oh well the Heisman is a joke, it should be re-named "The award for the quarterback or runningback on the best team in the country". Very rarely does someone else get the award i.e Tebow his sophmore year (only took him 5 million td's to win) and Robert Griffin. Other then that its pretty true that your team has to be the best in the country and you play QB or RB