Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

My bad I thought they had lost to some teams they weren't supposed to such as Boise (TWICE), unranked USC, unranked Stanford, unranked Cal lol. Regardless they are a "dark horse" simply because as you said USC has monopolized that conference and even Stanford has been talked about more then Oregon this year in the media. Maybe my word choice wasn't the best, over looked, over shadowed, those could possibly be better terms to use in this instance.

USC definitley has lost to teams they should not have, however I think this is he best USC team since 08. Its amazing how I used to hate Matt Barkley and now I wish the Browns would've waited a year to select a qb so they could've taken him haha.

I do think that the winner of the Pac12 will be facing an SEC school in the championship game, wether that be USC or Oregon is tbd.

Was Oregon ranked when they lost those games you mentioned? I think they were ranked when they lost to Boise that one time - in 2008 or whatever when Lagarette Blount went nuts afterward - but Boise was ranked too, I think.

And they aren't a darkhorse. A team like Arizona State could be considered a darkhorse in the Pac12. Stop using that word. To quote a very awesome movie, I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what a darkhorse is, a winner that no one gives a chance to who comes out of nowhere to be victorious lol. I am well aware that they are a top 10 team, but no one is giving them a real shot at winning the Pac12 outside of their own fans. The media is all about USC, thus the reason I feel they are over looked, over shadowed, ect... BTW I even stated that the term probablly wasn't the best term to be used ;)

2008:

#17 Oregon vs unranked Boise

2009:

#16 Oregon vs #14 Boise (no one expected Boise to win this regardless of rankings haha)

Unranked Stanford vs #8 Oregon

2010:

Undefeated (lost to Auburn in NCG)

2011:

Unranked USC vs #4 Oregon

So 3 times they have been beat by an unranked team, the other they lost to a team that probablly shouldn't have been ranked ahead of them to begni with. I will excuse the loss to #4 LSU as that was actually a fun game to watch and LSU was simply the better team

I know what a darkhorse is, a winner that no one gives a chance to who comes out of nowhere to be victorious lol. I am well aware that they are a top 10 team, but no one is giving them a real shot at winning the Pac12 outside of their own fans. The media is all about USC, thus the reason I feel they are over looked, over shadowed, ect... BTW I even stated that the term probablly wasn't the best term to be used ;)

2008:

# 17 Oregon vs unranked Boise

2009:

#16 Oregon vs #14 Boise (no one expected Boise to win this regardless of rankings haha)

Unranked Stanford vs #8 Oregon

2011:

Unranked USC vs #4 Oregon

No one ever expects Boise to win, ever. Yet all they did was win for like three years straight. You get no points for the 2009 Boise argument. And you get no points for the 2008 Boise loss - Oregon was only ranked #17, and if was Boise then it had to be early in the season, and we all know how valid early season rankings are.

I'll give you like 1/2 a point for the loss to unranked USC. Some teams, like USC, can never be considered "givens" just because of their prestige, history, etc.

I'll give you a full point for the unranked Stanford over a #8 Oregon. Yeah, they shouldn't have lost that game.

So, total points for Josh: 1.5

Points needed for next level: 100

Lmfao why don't I get points for Boise? Others on here are always telling me how Boise is a joke of a school and such. I have argued over and over that Boise is a legit school, hell they are on a rebuilding year and nearly beat Michigan State, whom many feel will win the B10 this year lol.

I should atleast be at 3.5 points sir

2008 Oregon finished 10th (ahead of a 1 loss Boise lol)

2009: 11th (boise finished 4th at 14-0)

2011: Finished 4th

Should take him down to 1/4 of a point for the USC loss because they were ranked in the AP but not the BCS or Coaches polls because of their post-season ban, like OSU this season. They were 18th in that poll but jumped into the top 10 after beating Oregon.

And Boise is not a legit school. They prepare for 1 game from January-September then go into cruise control as they play cupcake after cupcake and wait for their bowl assignment. That's why they were able to beat Oregon. That's why they were able to compete with MSU. That's why they win marquee matchups in bowl games. They play 2 real games a year, 3 if something weird is going on.

Lmfao why don't I get points for Boise? Others on here are always telling me how Boise is a joke of a school and such. I have argued over and over that Boise is a legit school, hell they are on a rebuilding year and nearly beat Michigan State, whom many feel will win the B10 this year lol.

I should atleast be at 3.5 points sir

2008 Oregon finished 10th (ahead of a 1 loss Boise lol)

2009: 11th (boise finished 4th at 14-0)

2011: Finished 4th

I think I have been on the record here in saying that Boise's accomplishments cannot be discredited and that they can play with any team in a one-game scenario. While I doubt they could be as dominant if they played in one of the AQ conferences, they still deserve some modicum of respect. Your argument fails to be compelling. Zero points added.

I think I have been on the record here in saying that Boise's accomplishments cannot be discredited and that they can play with any team in a one-game scenario. While I doubt they could be as dominant if they played in one of the AQ conferences, they still deserve some modicum of respect. Your argument fails to be compelling. Zero points added.

my previous point is proven further by this post :dumb:

Should take him down to 1/4 of a point for the USC loss because they were ranked in the AP but not the BCS or Coaches polls because of their post-season ban, like OSU this season. They were 18th in that poll but jumped into the top 10 after beating Oregon.

Oh, so Joshie tried to pull a fast one on me, did he? Yeah, I thought something was amiss, and now I know why: he conveniently used the USA Today poll (which is the dumber of the two) and not the AP poll when referencing USC and them beating Oregon. This is a fairly serious infraction. I'm deducting an entire point: 0.5 points for the deception and 0.5 points for the fact that USC was actually ranked and therefore supportive of my initial argument. Josh, you are now at 0.5 points.

my previous point is proven further by this post :dumb:

Yeah, I think Zack and I differ on our stance of Boise: I'm a bit more forgiving of them than he is. I'd say they'd go something like 6 -3 in the B10 in any given year, but have the potential for beating just about any B10 team in a one-game scenario.

Yeah, I think Zack and I differ on our stance of Boise: I'm a bit more forgiving of them than he is. I'd say they'd go something like 6 -3 in the B10 in any given year, but have the potential for beating just about any B10 team in a one-game scenario.

Only thing about bsu is they are not deep. there front line starters are good. no doubt, they are mostly older players and that makes them more mature and smarter most of the time. i think they would be rite there with the penn states of the world in the b10. stomped out against the big boys ( osu/ wisky/ meetchicken/ msu) but they would hurtle everyone else

Only thing about bsu is they are not deep. there front line starters are good. no doubt, they are mostly older players and that makes them more mature and smarter most of the time. i think they would be rite there with the penn states of the world in the b10. stomped out against the big boys ( osu/ wisky/ meetchicken/ msu) but they would hurtle everyone else

I can't say I disagree with any of this.

Their depth is definitely the issue and like Phil said, their starters are usually pretty good because they've been in the program 3-4 years already. But behind them are a bunch of young, inexperienced, non-elite talent type kids who need some serious seasoning before they can contribute. The elite of the elite can suffer an injury and keep chugging along for the most part. Boise St. would probably have to play a 170 lb. white kid at RB if they had 2-3 RB's hurt like OSU does right now.

I used the rankings that ESPN has on their site..I am assuming they would use the AP, do they not? BTW fuck yo points lol. This thread is one of the reasons I log on here so much, that and the fact that my right wrist cannot take the abuse like it once could

They use random shit. When BCS rankings come out sometimes they use those. A lot of the time I think they prefer to use the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll because their name is on it. Last year and this year they enjoy using the AP because USC was ranked in it last year and OSU is ranked in it this year. This at least applies to their TV broadcasts. They use whatever makes it look the most interesting.

On their site I think they've always used the coaches poll.

Last year and this year they enjoy using the AP because USC was ranked in it last year and OSU is ranked in it this year. This at least applies to their TV broadcasts. They use whatever makes it look the most interesting.

I noticed this as well. Fucking ESPN.

When I was young, an ESPN was brand new - and all they aired were hockey games - I thought of ESPN as being this pure, unbiased entity devoted to objectively reporting sporting news. Clearly, they're far from that today. Looking back, I wonder, were they always like this and I was just naive, or did money - the root of some many evils - end up skewing them so badly? I find myself sometimes intentionally not watching ESPN stuff in protest.

They use random shit. When BCS rankings come out sometimes they use those. A lot of the time I think they prefer to use the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll because their name is on it. Last year and this year they enjoy using the AP because USC was ranked in it last year and OSU is ranked in it this year. This at least applies to their TV broadcasts. They use whatever makes it look the most interesting.

On their site I think they've always used the coaches poll.

All the channels use the highest ranking for broadcasts. CBS, Fox, BTN, ABC/ESPN.

Also, OSU is going to honor the '02 national title team against Michigan. Everyone from that team is invited. And when I say everyone I mean everyone. Right now it's entirely up to Tressel on whether or not he shows up (there's no NCAA thing that would keep him from attending). Just imagining that moment in my head where Tressel would walk out onto the field as a part of that... it would be absolutely insane.

When will they honor Troy Smith and retire his numer along with the rest of the Heisman winners? I used to love ESPN as well Tilley, I thought it was amazing that I could watch sports 24/7. I would watch the same sportscenter over and over, now I hate flipping to the channel. However until a better alternative is in place its the best we have. The big 10 network sucks pretty badly and really hasnt gotten any better in the 6 years that it has been around imo.