School me on ford f150 and ram 1500

armin922

Looking at the trucks. Between the years of 2008 and 2010. I want either extended cab or crew cab. Also has to be 4wd. What are the pros and cons of both of these trucks? What would your recommend? Im looking to tow an 18 foot boat with either of the trucks. Give me specs, and your opinions! THANKS!

Well, I will say from a bystanders perspective, that just looking around that a lot of these newer style Rams are rusting like crazy. I don't know if it is just how people care for them (maybe more work trucks are Rams), but I have just noticed it.

For longer-term ownership, I would really stick with the F150. I think Ram's look awesome, but the quality is not up to Ford's standards. Hate to sound like a commercial, but the logic is sound: there's a reason the F-150 is the best-selling truck in America since 1492.

For longer-term ownership, I would really stick with the F150. I think Ram's look awesome, but the quality is not up to Ford's standards. Hate to sound like a commercial, but the logic is sound: there's a reason the F-150 is the best-selling truck in America since 1492.

actually the GM 1500 is, it's just split between Chevy and GMC :gabe:

I'll take off my sales hat and put on my auto writer fedora.

I agree with Clay and Tim that overall the F150 is the better truck. It's got a nicer interior, more comfort as far as seats and layout, and will be more reliable. The only pluses to a Dodge is the beefy looks (09+), the ride is very good, and the engine is extremely powerful.

The Dodge feels very much like a truck (sit more upright inside, bigger windows all around, etc.) The Ford does a nice job of keeping the utility of a truck, but it doesn't feel like you are driving one. Best of both worlds, so to speak.

Towing, according to some quick research, goes to Ford. Depending on how it's equipped, it can tow anywhere from 7700-10600 lbs. compared to 5000-8500 lbs. of the Ram (Feel free to double-check me on the Ram).

What it's going to come down to is you going out and driving both to see what fits YOU best. We can all go back and forth on what we think is a better truck, but it's your decision. The only way to do that is to get out and put your hands on each of them.

I'm a ford guy but after driving my dads 08 F150 I felt like it lacked in the get up and go department and this was when I had a 98 F150. Other than that they are great trucks I would still choose one over the dodge.

Have Brady tune it and that will no longer be an issue. :)

What can they do to the 5.4l with a tune??

-Marc

He unleashed 30 hp and 30 ft lbs on my truck and adjusted the shift points. It made a HUGE difference. I have bigger than stock tires and wasn't really able to spin them from a stop; now I can with ease. The downshifts are amazing. When I need the power, it's there instantly, whereas before it would take a few seconds to downshift.

I have an 09 Ram that I love. I have drove my brother-in-law's 09 F150 with 5.4 and I don't think it even compares. He even agrees he should have went with the Ram.

But opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink. Get out there and test drive both and go with which ever one you like best.

My dad has a 97 1500 ram that has over 180,000 and never had a mechanical issue outside of normal service items. Cant relate to the rust issue... he lives in AZ. father in law had an 04 f150 that had decent power, but didnt ride as much like a truck as the dodge did. it was much softer, less feedback, etc.

Make sure to post up what you pick up, Im sure anything that has been maintained properly will suit your needs.

i have a 08 2500 ram with the hemi. its a little bigger than what youre looking for, but its got awesome power, good looks and ive towed 10k+ with ease, but again, its a 2500. i feel like the 1500 was more comfortable to drive, pretty obvoius given the weaker suspension though. the rust issue is contingent on upkeep: wash it like you should and you wont have problems. ive heard first hand that the ecoboost ford will run circles around the dodge, and i believe it. drive them and buy what you like more. i own 4 dodge trucks, so i am a little biased. http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll101/ericsarge/181753_10100413582928415_12439409_62334871_627087_n.jpg