F*cking salt on the roads..

accel_is_my_drug

As the great salt flats of ohio's hwys return this winter, I am reminded of how thoroughly rusty my daily driver is. Since I have been looking to replace it with something fun to drive, I want to find something that hasn't been subjected to the ridiculous amount of salt on the roads here. My question is, How far south do I need to go before I get out of the rust belt?

Past Cincy? Tennessee? New Mexico?

When my mom was looking for a "certified pre-owned" 2007ish accord to DD, she brought one over that Roush Honda let her take home to test drive. I got to looking it over and found basically all of the lower engine, subframe and suspension hardware was rusted up like the titanic, and surface rust was starting to bubble through the paint on the rear rocker/wheelwell area. It was white which made it pretty easy to spot.

It was Certified though :). It was returned and the Roush saleslady was quite clearly embarrassed. Gotta love Ohio.

Edited by spankis

I was surprised at how much surface rust shows up on used cars in SW Florida. Anyplace near the ocean breeze should be avoided. I would definitely focus on the Carolinas/Georgia. Watch out for flood- and storm-damaged vehicles in Mississippi/Alabama/Arkansas/Louisiana.

Personally, I drive used cars here locally, but if I made a purchase I would likely do so somewhere south, even if it meant a $750-$1000 shipping/price premium.