Engineer sucked into engine aftermath

Jackson1647545504

No he did not dummy. That is not physically possible, if you know anything about a jet engine's cross section, especially on one the size in that situation (low bypass, i.e. no fan). That DID happen, but in that case what happened was his helmet saved him... it was sucked off his head, and destroyed all hte blades before he could get to them. so the helmet took the damage, and he was just stuck in the inlet.

In this case, you have a much larger engine (though still small on the relative scale) with a high bypass fan, so even if hte helmet came off, all those titanium blades would have to be destroyed before he would have been okay, not ot mention get there first...

Regarding hte engine that sucked the mechanic in... Here is some scary perspective: When the starter air valve gets stuck, a mechanic has to open it manually to start the engines (meaning he is right next to the engine) via putting a long drive into a hole and turning 90 degrees. From the mechanic a spoke to once, when you do this, you can see hte gravel on the ground in front of the engine start to vibrate and lift off the ground.

In the case of the guy getting sucked in, the engine must have gone high enough above ground idle to create the thrust to suck him in.

I've done the manual start procedure you describe more times than I care to remember. If the ground is really wet, you can watch it suck the water right off the ground. Worse is trying to find a leak with the transcowl open and all the bypass air blowing in your face.