Kids and tattoos

wnaplay1647545503

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ten tattoos, and to see me normally you wouldn't know I have any. I had two before I was 18, and I dont regret any of them. I think if you are responsible with them, they can be awesome. I thought about all of mine for a while before I decided to get them, and I put them in places where if I do end up in a business atmosphere instead of in a salon like I am now, I will be able to cover them all and still look professional.

I got my first and only tattoo when I was 16. It's small, easily concealed and I don't regret it. It's a look back on my childhood for me. My mom signed off on the consent

She wouldn't have let me get a tattoo if I had picked out something dumb or trendy.

If my kid asked me to get a tattoo my decision would depend on what it was, where it was going and how big it was going to be.

Chinese characters

dream catchers/ native american crap on the white man

barbed wire

ying yang symbols

Disney cartoons

hello kitty

at mid ohio i saw daffy duck, with a backwards hat, spinning a Frisbee on one finger while a smoking joint wearing a shirt with a pot leaf, on this guys calf.

However, technically, she did not have a "choice," insofar as she was a minor and therefore cannot, by definition, give legal consent. She can give her assent, but consent for the procedure would have to come from her legal guardian(s).

I know, we're now talking semantics (no pun intended) and this is mostly an exercise in academia.

I am going to train an army of under age kids to rob banks and commit murder so they can never be convicted because they " cannot give consent"

Legality, i guess, covers for stupid

A few years back a (now ex-) girlfriend got a tattoo in the small of her back of a lizard I sketched. It was a pretty plain looking and I liked it, but that's always gonna in some way remind her of an ex-boyfriend. Probably a crappy thing to have inked on.

I am going to train an army of under age kids to rob banks and commit murder so they can never be convicted because they " cannot give consent"

Legality, i guess, covers for stupid

I think you're confusing consent with criminal responsibility/culpability.

Just because a juvenile cannot consent to something (e.g., getting a tattoo) doesn't mean they can't be held criminally responsible for an illegal act. So, I don't think you'll get far with your army of underage criminals using the affirmative defense of "but they can't give consent, so you must acquit."

I got my first one when I was 16 and my parents hit the roof. Times have changed a lot since 1992 though and tats are a lot more accepted. My son just turned 16 in Dec and he asked me if I would let him get one. I sais sure if he brought his grades up. He has a lot of friends that have them and I agree with a small one at that age but doing a whole back piece or sleeve is just to much at that age. While it would be his decision, I would have some buy in on what he got and it would not be a large one or in a place that is in plain site. I have mine in plain site but I made that decision once I was much older and could deal with any fallout with an employeer or what have you.

I'd say that if you want a tattoo, then wait a full year before doing anything. If you still want the tattoo, get it. If you want something else, then wait another year and decide if you still want that one, and so on and so forth.

As for kids and tattoos, no. If my kids ever want tattoos, I'll tell them they can wait until they're legally permitted to do so, and even then I'll encourage them to use my "wait a year and then decide" rule.

This is the best advise IMO. When I was little and I wanted anything that cost greater than $100 my Dad would make me wait 2 week until I bought it, after 2 weeks if I still wanted it he said I could go and buy it. More than half the time I moved on to wanting something else....

...and was thankful I did

Tattoo's are like wives. Some people have them and some people don't. The ones that do have them, however, some people like them and some don't. Some people think other peoples wives are good and others not so much. Both should require a lot of thought about getting because the regrets can be huge just like the cost of removal. There is nothing wrong with any tattoo what ever it may be. The only person that has to like it is the person wearing it. IMO, if your son wants something you feel is inapropriet tell him he has to wait till he's 18. If he still wants it by then he will most likely love it for life. It sucks to hear that some people think my daughters initials tattooed on me are are "tasteless"....oh wait, I almost forgot that I don't care what people think about my tattoos.

Tattoo's are like wives. Some people have them and some people don't. The ones that do have them, however, some people like them and some don't. Some people think other peoples wives are good and others not so much. Both should require a lot of thought about getting because the regrets can be huge just like the cost of removal. There is nothing wrong with any tattoo what ever it may be. The only person that has to like it is the person wearing it. IMO, if your son wants something you feel is inapropriet tell him he has to wait till he's 18. If he still wants it by then he will most likely love it for life. It sucks to hear that some people think my daughters initials tattooed on me are are "tasteless"....oh wait, I almost forgot that I don't care what people think about my tattoos.

The comments about names being tasteless usually refers to getting your own name tatted on you or a spouse/significant other. There's nothing wrong with getting a tattoo for your daughter, although there's better ideas floating around than just initials. If you enjoy it though that's what matters.

As stated, the "wait to decide" rule works best for me personally. Also as stated, each of mine tell a story or provoke my sharing of a story. Each has deep meaning. Impulse buys often suck. Impulse tats are permanent. They're not like a bag of m&m's from the check out line.