Match.com or the like...Anyone used them? Let me hear your horror stories

silverhatch

I was thinking of signing up for one of these sites but I've never been single since the internet has been invented (yeah I know). I recently was widowed and I'm not looking for any serious relationship, I'm still in shock over what happened. I'm just looking to hang out and make friends. It's lonely with no one but kids to talk to 24/7.

Anyways- let me hear your stories, the good, the bad..whatever.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister in law met her current boyfriend of a few years through e-harmony and they seem to still be pretty damn happy together. They said there were a few rough dates before they met each other but, still definitely recommend it. If youre just looking for a fun time, I think there are some similar sites that are geared more towards the quick flings and one night stand deals. I personally would just hit up your local bar scene, Im more of a face to face kinda guy though.

Used OkCupid, dated one girl for a about a month, went on a date with some other girls. Also went on a date with a midget (true story, she lied about her height). Soon after that though, I met my current girlfriend Andi, and we have been together going on a year. It cuts the bullshit out of finding someone randomly.

I met my husband on there.. weve been together since 2002, and married in 2004

sidebar- My best friend married her husband last week and they met in World of Warcraft and have been together for 4 years...

Sometimes internet dating is WAY less painful than "hoping" to meet the right person.

A couple of my buddies used match and okcupid, neither with good results. I know a couple girls that used those and "lots of fish" or something like that, with even worse results. They had some pretty ridiculous horror stories. Lots of crazy people on there apparently.

one of my girlfriends (friend that is a girl) uses all these things. she has some horror stories and she hasn't found anything serious. this has been going on for years.

a lot of guys lie about serious things. she often finds that they are in a committed relationships. super-losers troll these sites.

if you are going to do the online thing, be COMPLETELY honest about what you want and who you are.

best advice - join a group of something you like to do. meet people with similar interests.

I'm not looking for a one night stand really. Apparently all you guys fail at reading. Did you look at my name? I'm a lady, not a dude. I don't think I could do the bar scene but maybe.

lol.. sorry i laughed reading that. I met my wife on match, like others said it cuts the bullshit out of a bunch of wasted dates when I was tired of constantly going on random dates or friend matches. Either way just make sure you email back and forth a ton and talk on the phone, there are some crazy people out there so obviously if it ever gets to a date situation meet somewhere very public

Surgeon I work with met his wife on e harmony. Honestly, probably one of the nicest girls I've met and her dad owns like 13 or so Aston/jag dealerships in and around the NY/ east coast.

He now drives a new cayenne turbo daily and just got a Mercedes sls as his weekend car.

Ive been thinking of signing up lately for this reason only...but my gf would kill me.

Met my GF of 2.5 yrs on eharmony, but I still wouldn't recommend it. The test they give you is bogus and you have to be extremely lucky to actually get to talk to anyone. Since they are so expensive most people only pay for a month then realize no one else is paying and then you have a bunch of profiles on there but no one actually on there to talk.

Before that I was on Match.com and it worked ok. Don't date girls that don't at least have 3 pictures.

Also, unless you are 100% sure this girl is awesome, don't commit to a long date. Drinks/dinner on a week night seems to work well. That way if you aren't hitting it off you have the excuse of having to go to bed for work in the morning.

Every girl I've ever talked to thats used online dating sites has only horror stories. Columbus Young Professional (CYP) get togethers are like speed dating if you havent tried that, be warned its composed of $30,000/yr millionaires.

LOL

I met my wife on HotorNot.com 9 years ago. I was mainly just looking to meet girls in the area because I had just moved here and tend to be rather shy in person. We talked for a couple months and then finally went on a date. We have been together since and I couldn't be happier. I did have a couple unfortunate dates before that though. Nothing serious, just girls that did not look like there pictures at all. I am sure they were nice people, there was just no physical attraction.

I am sure they were nice people, there was just no physical attraction.

I was in a furniture store quite a few years ago with my parents. The girl helping us was clearly into me but I was playing dumb, since I had 0 interest. My mom though I didn't notice so she said something to me after we left. I had to explain to her what people meant when they talked about girls with 'good personalities'.

To the OP, very sorry to hear about your loss. I can't even imagine how hard that is.

As you can see, there are mixed results. I know people that are very happily married from who they meet in the online dating scene. While I know that's not what you are looking for right now, it speaks to the system working sometimes. But as you can see, there are at least as many horror stories. You just have to make sure you are ready for that, the horror stories part.

best advice - join a group of something you like to do. meet people with similar interests.

HEY, you are on a site like that, which is 99% dudes RIGHT NOW. Have you been out to any CR meets? Might make some friends, which it seems like you are really just wanting some adult companionship (friends of any sex that are just friends) more than anything. Those friends have other friends, some of which are guys too. Now that summer is geared up there is almost always something going on; HD meets, shit at Docs, Cars & Coffee, people going to race tracks. Some of it even very kid friendly, like Cars & Coffee.

I met my wife on eHarmony and had several good matches thorugh the process, but didn't take them too far. I was on match for a while and I found it to be like MySpace. A bunch of people making free profiles and staring at each other. I talked to a few, but only met one girl from match, and she was shady as hell. Supposedly a really nice girl, but the situation was very strange. My old boss met his wife on Match though, so it could have had something to do with my age at the time.

I did it because the girls I was meeting when going out were absolute trash. I got tired of meeting skanks that had no ambition in life. It sounds like you're just not comfortible in the bar scene right now, and you're not ready to date either. If you're just looking for friends, people to hang out with, or things to do, I would follow the advice given earlier and join a group/club of an activity you like to do. You'll meet people in a relaxed setting, possibly build friendships, and start to feel more comfortible in your own shoes. I think the worst thing you could do right now is get into a serious relationship, if you're still grieving over the loss of your husband, which is potentially what would happen if you are on a dating site. Take this time for yourself.

Plenty of Fish isn't bad but from some of the girls I talked to on there, a lot of guys just sent messages asking for sex and the such. It's a big pick up site.

I met a cool gal on Match sometime ago and we dated for almost a year. We ended very positive too and are still good friends. It's not a terrible site, downside is you don't really know how has a membership. You could send a message to 100 people and only 10 are actual members.

If you want to experiment a little with it without the money commitment though, Plenty of Fish might be ok, just gotta weed out the dbags. Match you might find more serious people, but it's also pretty pricey.