Where have all the arcades gone :(

thorne

Magic Mountain has better games hoenstly, Christian/Norm and myself where there last time norm was in town.

Once I move here soon I think I'm going to build a mame cabinet but a place to go and game and set high scores would be fun imho

Consoles killed the Arcade before they could kill the PC.

Honestly though, I worked at one for a while. You know what brought in the most money? Those cheesy ticket games. The high end games would barely fill 1/4 of their coin bucket, but the ticket games sometimes had to be emptied twice a week.

The traditional arcade is dead.

Dave and Busters has pretty good games. I miss playing games but if you look at how much a video game costs, its hard to justify the cost for the system given you charge so little to have someone play it.

I miss playing 720, Galaga, etc... I have found a few decent Arcades in Vegas but they focus on ticket games.

Maybe I think you would be suprised how many people would go play at a properly maintained arcade.

The business model today doesn't work. Rent alone kills profitability. You old drag enough people in there durning peak hours to make it profitable. Even the game centers and laser tag centers out there now struggle.

I look at things fom an investment standpoint. If I'm going to put up money n a business, it better break even in 2-3 yrs and net me 25% ROI minimum. Arcades won't do that.

Wasn't it the shit when a new Mortal Kombat came out....People would be hiding their hands/buttons and shit for the finishing moves...lol.

Gotta say, I don't think people would go either....not for just classics.

I really do miss having a crowd form around me while whooping one stranger after another in Killer Instinct

Fuck yes. Putting your quarter up for your turn and then running that motherfucker. I competed in a shit load of tourneys back in the day. Especially street fighter and tekken tourneys. Won some pretty damn big ones, too. There was no better place than southern cali in the bigger arcade days. Myself and a buddy used to travel around hustling. Easy to make good money back then. Easy to get into fights over fucking arcade games and bets. lol Silly young stuff.

I would love a real arcade and not this MMountain and dave and buster shit. I used to manage Beach & Warner Arcade in Cali years and years ago. Not a single ticket machine in that place. (FUcking things - But, like Draco said, those are the money makers in current shite arcades.) There's a place in Vegas off of Flamingo just east of the strip called Mary K's Arcade. It is fucking awesome. Honestly, couldn't tell you if it's still open since I no longer live there and I currently don't feel like looking it up. ;) However, my roomate and I were still enjoying the shit out fo that place long after the arcade went south.

I believe there is a market for a properly ran and setup adult arcade similar to others that are currently open in other cities. The kind that serve beer (nothing hard), maybe have some pool table,too and kick out anyone under 18 after a certain time. There are similar ones that are currently being ran succesfully in other markets. There is a shitload of people my age and around who remember and miss the arcade glory days. I can't even fucking buy a decent 2 player game that I can actually fucking play with someone in the same room these days.... :p