CR Review: 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

zeitgeist57

A few weeks ago, I'm driving in the good ol' (but getting VERY long-in-the-tooth) Passat, coming down I-71 from a day of business meetings in Cleveland. It was a gorgeous day, and I was making good time. A call comes in from Alex (El Karacho) at Bob Boyd Fiat: "Hey, Clay...the new Abarth is in! Want to take it for a spin?"

Proving again that life is 90% timing, I happily agreed to go east on 270 instead of west to meet Alex and a surprisingly stout-looking black-on-black 500 Abarth. The drive was very enjoyable...

STYLING: The plebian Fiat 500's you see around town are cute, but the Abarth puts the myriad styling tweaks it holds to incredibly good use: the body kit, suspension, wheels and tires, exhaust, etc... combine to create one of the better-looking cars I've seen on the road this year and believe me when I say PICS DON'T DO IT JUSTICE. Overall, it's very well executed. I genuinely appreciated the "Scorpion shield" everywhere...you can't find a "500" badge on this car (nor would you want to be reminded of it's winky roots!) This is a convincingly mean-looking Euro-rocket!

INTERIOR: The leather-trimmed seats are very comfy, but the seating position is very upright. Indeed, the 500 is designed for a more sit-up position, but that's not a bad thing when the rest of the interior still falls readily in hand. Kit and technology are great: bluetooth, BOSE, Info center, auto climate control...The back seat is tiny, and I actually like the fact that the front seats have red leather inserts to match the red accent stripes outside. The back seat stays trimmed in black leather, so your eyes stay focused on the front: no need to remind people you have room for 2 legless children in the back!

PERFORMANCE: The "Sport" button on the dash just needs to stay on, all the time. :) The exhaust sound is killer! I've heard boy-racer SRT-4's with less burble and turbo whine. It's impressive for a factory system. Those of you that know Alex and/or me...we're not small guys. That said, the acceleration and turbo pull is immediate and very pleasing. Around surface streets, there is a little lag depending on the gear you're in, but the 5-speed manual shines on the highway. At first I wanted a 6th gear, but you realize that fuel economy is likely not suffering for a 1.4L working slightly higher in the rev band on the highway, and passing even in 5th gear is still impressive. The ride is understandably sporty-stiff, but not harsh. The cornering is flat and steering is well-weighted with decent feedback...no doubt the lower-profile rubber transmitting more of the road to the stock-500 steering. No bitching here...the whole performance package works. With only one person (a-la commuter car), I'm sure the ride/performance/economy will be better.

OVERALL: Seeing it in person for the first time was impressive. Driving it made me like it a little more, and I will say that looking at pictures of it make me miss it even more. I told Alex that I can see the Abarth 10+ years from now at Cars and Coffee, with a pedigree much like the old Dodge Omni GLH and Shelby/Chrysler FWD cars: well-done performance cars modified from the factory that only get cooler with age. :) Alas, the fact is that I have a hard time myself justifying a 2-door $26k souped-up Euro hatchback. However, I just saw THIS ARTICLE:

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/fiat-500-arboth-sells-customers-waiting-list-2013-version-article-1.1090953

...and am now realizing that I probably wasn't the only one intrigued by this little monster. :thumbup:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you buy the car because of any reason other then the "body color" it isn't a girl car. I've never driven a fiat but my dad used to own an old one. I loved going for rides in that car.

:yuno: I've never seen a man driving one of those. That would be interesting.

My wife was considering a regular 500 so we went and drove it. I thought it was awful. I am glad to hear the Abarth is better. Pretty cool looking.

Where is the TT-RS review?

TT-RS:

PERFORMANCE: 1st gear is a "clutchsaver", designed to get you rolling from a dead start and lining up atomic particles for the wormhole trip that's about to ensue.

HANDLING: Once they turn off the "cheater" electromagnets on the 23 and 270 cloverleafs, I'll actually be able to give a review. Until then, the inability to leave the surface of the road no matter how fast you're going is unfair.

INTERIOR: So fresh and so clean clean...

CONCLUSION:

AMAZING HORSE IS AMAZING

• 1 month later...
As long as you buy the car because of any reason other then the "body color" it isn't a girl car. I've never driven a fiat but my dad used to own an old one. I loved going for rides in that car.

I actually love the Verde Chiaro color, which closely resembles a Seafoam, but with a bit more grey. Probably one of my favorite colors to come out of any manufacturer.

pic of said color:

http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/attachments/fiat-500-pictures/4292d1341615910-mindy-verde-chiaro-sport-recaro-seats-ccw-wheels-test-fit-3.jpg