CR Review: 2009 Mini Cooper S

zeitgeist57

Another car I've liked since it's introduction - but had not driven - is the Mini Cooper S. Yes, its fail-wheel-drive and yes, it's only a 2-door...but there was a lot to like about the engineering, the driving, the history, and the amenities that intrigued me. Recently, in talking with TimTaylor75, I took the opportunity to drive one at CarMax at Easton.

STYLING: It's been beaten to death, but the "two-box" design is the most efficient packaging you can ask for in a vehicle. However, when you spend a few moments looking over the Mini, popping the hood and trunk, checking the interior, you begin to notice all of the very unique design elements, and how well-engineered everything is considering the form-over-function, minimalist basis for a Mini. I have to admit it is a fun car to look at.

INTERIOR: This is where the Mini really shines. The huge center speedometer, toggle switches, interior panel and upholstery designs all denote a retro-theme, but it's all really well done. No space is wasted. Indeed, the doors have a very well thought-out indent for your arm to rest in after the door is shut. The seats were great and very supportive. Truly, one of the nicest interior designs I've enjoyed EVER. Huge sunroof and a fully usable back seat? Awesome car!!!

PERFORMANCE/HANDLING: The 6-speed manual and clutch are, by far, the best and smoothest performing powertrain I've enjoyed in a long time. The shifter is so smooth, and clutch take-up is so nice...just a real pleasure to drive. Hardly any work at all. The steering is great. Suspension is very solid, and it needs to be said that it rides amazingly for how small the car is. At no point did I feel like I was driving a small car; soaking up bumps with aplomb, combined with great outward visibiliity is very confidence-inspiring. The turbo has slight lag off the line, but 2-6 gears it's got a ton of performance. sounds great too.

OVERALL: I was impressed on multiple levels with the Mini Cooper S: The quality engineering/design work, interior comfort/convenience, and performance. It really wasn't until late in the test-drive that I also remembered this car would be great on gas...something that I forgot about because of how fun it was to drive! I would definitely pick a used Mini Cooper S over a new Abarth (sorry, Alex) or used RX-8...but when you stack it up against a CTS-V or Jeep Wrangler Rubicon it falls short in my choice of a next vehicle. If I were planning on getting rid of the Passat, I would definitely look into a well-cared for and lightly modded turbo Cooper S as my daily driver. It really is that nice of a car!

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/katy_perry_mini_cooper_the_blonds-499x374.jpg

http://image.internetautoguide.com/f/auto-news/2009-cts-v-beats-m5-e63-new-cadillac-faster-than-bmw-mercedes/10517975+w527+st0/cadillac-cts-v-beats-m5-and-e63-burnout.jpg

I priced one when looking at the MS3 and to get one decked out like I wanted was over $32k. The GTi was more attractive as a complete package but it too was near or at $30k. The mini is well built for sure though.

they are not bad cars and the JCW's are pretty sweet. could get something used much better with the money though. With the 09's make sure the aux water pump recall has been done if it is a "s" or a JCW. I would never buy one but to each their own