Newbie from New Albany

Sledhead36

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilariously coincidental, I was just talking to another ME friend last night who I brainstorm with from time to time. And said "too bad we are not EE's, or we could just develop some sweet app and become millionaires like all other 20 something's raking in the cash". That is definitely the current trend in young millionaires these days; apps and interwebz development projects.

Hilariously coincidental, I was just talking to another ME friend last night who I brainstorm with from time to time. And said "too bad we are not EE's, or we could just develop some sweet app and become millionaires like all other 20 something's raking in the cash". That is definitely the current trend in young millionaires these days; apps and interwebz development projects.

That's actually a couple of the idea's I floated to my friends too, but none of us can write code and they were unwilling to take the plunge with me. One has since been developed by a foundation, and a couple of my others are close to some features that are coming out, but no one has put it all together. I even tried learning code and building the app myself with Titanium Appcellerator, but I was awful and don't have enough time to learn it properly.

That's actually a couple of the idea's I floated to my friends too, but none of us can write code and they were unwilling to take the plunge with me. One has since been developed by a foundation, and a couple of my others are close to some features that are coming out, but no one has put it all together. I even tried learning code and building the app myself with Titanium Appcellerator, but I was awful and don't have enough time to learn it properly.

You can find guys out there who know code, no need to reinvent the wheel. I can put you in touch with some if you need contacts.

You can find guys out there who know code, no need to reinvent the wheel. I can put you in touch with some if you need contacts.

This.

One of the biggest mistakes small businesses/start ups make is trying to do EVERYTHING. If you do XYZ stick with XYZ and leave the other stuff up to the people who specialize in their own segment.

Yeah, not trying to re-invent the wheel. Just trying to keep from getting burned.

A few years ago I entered business with a 'friend' and the results were disasterous. I invested a lot of money in the project and he basically did nothing, didn't listen to my idea's, and stole a few things from me. He eventually left town while in possession of my car. He called me while passing through Colorado on his way to Cali. The car was parked at a building 2+ hours from my house, but he had the keys in his pocket. Because of this I am not a very trusting person any more, which is a good thing, but it's also prevented me from investing in other idea's because I can't afford to throw away that kind of money again (now that I have a wife and a 10 month old).

I may take you up on your offer, however to do it right I would have to pay someone up front for all the development and I don't think I can swing that right now. Or I post the project on the web and pay a guy in India to do it, lol.

You just need to construct an agreement that protects both of you from all of what happened. You got burned once, learn from it and move on. Don't stop trying. There is too much good that can happen by trying again. You may get burned again, oh well. Every successful person has been burned a few times but did not quit. You can takes steps to limit the liability and that is easy to do. What's that hip hop song say.....what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

What's that hip hop song say.....what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

LOL, I think that's Kelly Clarkston.

But yeah, I need to get off my ass and give it another try. One of my favorite reads is INC Magazine. It serves as good motivation, as well as advice on how to do things better/more successfully.

• 2 weeks later...
very impressed with the car collection and the garage. very refreshing to come on here, have someone that is very successful and down to earth, understands the love for cars and shares that with everyone on here even though the given collection