Used Car Sites?

zeitgeist57

Historically, I've searched CarMax and Autotrader for used cars, but CarMax really only focuses on cars that are newer (2002-present). Autotrader is good, but filled with ads and junk...and I see a lot of ads that are old.

Aside from these sites, are there any other sites that people recommend? I'm looking for an efficient way to find private owner (maybe dealers, too) 1972-2002 used cars. For the amount of time I search for fun in the evenings, I want to make sure I'm being as efficient as possible!

Craigslist? <<<putting that here since I'm sure many of you will quote it for your response.

If Craigslist, is there a better way aside from SearchTempest to see CL posts from other cities as well in a single search?

Tell you hucksters what: go find me a car then.

Stick shift convertible that makes more than 200hp, seats 4. Make it cheap, with less than 100k miles.

GO.

Post a picture of a pile of cash you're actually going to spend and i shall find you a car. If its all done for nothing to see another car buying post in 2 weeks, imma be pissed.

:gabe:

Im just fuckin with ya, clay, but in a way, im not. Lol

So clay, what abiut the cars i suggested?

No budget specified.

Actually, Aaron...you are dead on. Only after C&C on Saturday and talking to Casey did I add the Volvo C70, which can be had with a 6-speed manual. But then I realized that it's over $14k for a FWD car.

I really like the BMW...and 323ci's can be had in the teens. But then as I started boiling down a car I realized I'm too cheap for $14k.

The A4 convertible in a manual is a tough find, unless it's a 2004-2006 S4. Then, it's V8 AWD convertible awesomeness for $20-$30k. :eek:

Edited by zeitgeist57

CLAY LOL

I feel a Tim response coming on:

I believe cars are like shoes: multiple solutions for multiple situations.

I see 4 vehicular solutions:

1) Comfort - drive to work, church, the club, etc...and show up refreshed, looking good.

2) People Hauler - take kids, extended family, friends, etc. somewhere with their stuff

3) Workhorse - handle dirty work, or hauling/towing heavy things.

4) Fun Time - Connect your emotions to the driving experience

Vehicles can combine more than 1 item together, based on your budget, mechanical ability, and space requirements. I feel that 4 separate and distinct vehicles – which all do one of the above things strongly – is the best way to live your automotive life.

In filling these transportation responsibilities, I currently have a sedan, van, and pickup truck that all serve me well. Having gotten rid of my Vette two years ago, I'm now looking for a "Fun Time" car...

1) I'm cheap, so a car has to be inexpensive. I need a car payment like I need another hole in my head. I think WE ALL need another car payment like we need excess orifii in our craniums. If you disagree, you can go fuck yourself since you need to go fuck yourself.

2) I want multiple cars because each serves a different purpose. I don't need an AWD, twiln-turbo V-12 convertible that seats 7 and comes with a 6-speed manual because said vehicle doesn't exist. If it did, it would require ARAB MONEY to own. See item #1. Ergo, I am constantly looking to adjust my stable.

3) I want a convertible because I spend too much time inside instead of outside. I want to enjoy the outdoors whilst driving, weather-permitting. In fact, my kids need to be outside more. I want them to enjoy lungs full of relatively fresh air as much as possible. Windows down is a beginning...a convertible is the ultimate goal.

4) I am realizing I'm not a Jeep guy. Jeeps are good at costing the owner a lot of money, to go slowly on rocks. I'm not planning on driving on rocks. If I'm driving on rocks, it's because I made a serious mcsteak whilst driving on a road. Driving off the road is fun, but breaks things like U-joints and squirrels. I'll take something that takes to a paved, dirt, or gravel road just fine, no matter what the Ohio weather. Oh, and it needs to be a convertible.

5) I want a simple car, because simple is cheap: see item #1.

6) I like the idea of a Chevy Blazer or Ford Bronco from the '70s. I'm not picking on these two because I like Ford or Chevy. I like them because they are relatively cheap. I see Toyota FJ40s in the $5000+ range, but compared the Blazer you're getting at least 2 less cylinders, a smaller vehicle, and more expensive parts hocked by annoying companies. That's unamerican. Plus, a 30-year old Toyota has exactly the same reliability of a similar vintage Ford or Chevy...which they all suck.

7) I'm asking for help because I want to be the guy with an inside deal. I don't want to buy a vehicle just because it was a mile from my house. I want to get the really cheap deal because the opportunity presented itself, and either I was there or I knew a guy who knew the guy. I'm not omnipresent, so I'm sharing these things with all of you. In addition, I don't want to deal with someone trying to make a lot of money off of the car, because I never made money selling a car...and I want to deal with people like me. I want to buy a convertible off of someone who took care of their ride, and is ready to move on to other amazing life experiences...not a loser who needs to hock their car in order to make their next marijuana buy. I want to buy a car at a reasonable price, paying a discount for modifications and repairs I would normally do myself, but don't have to now because this reasonable guy did them over the last couple of years.

8) I will always want a CTS-V, because that fits one of my vehicular needs exceptionally well. Unfortunately for the CTS-V, that need is currently being filled by my Passat.

9) I will always want a Factory Five Cobra, because that fits the last need exceptionally well. Unfortunately, that want is being overshadowed by the need to take care of family, and projects that require more of my immediate time than building a car.

That's what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance if you can help me in my unending search!

Clay,

"Simple" and "Cheap" would put me to looking for a: Mustang/Camaro/Firebird

Easy power with lots of cheap used mod parts available and 4 seats (sort of)

also what i was thinking, would you be opposed to t-tops (or possibly targa)? you can pick up a camaro or firebird cheap, and if you really want cheap i believe the v6's made over 200hp, though you would prolly catch much shit for that lol. and the older fox mustangs are very nice with a convertible top imo.

Yeah, how cheap is cheap? I really am thinking about a 99-04 vert gt mustang. for some reason i like them slightly more than the firebird/camaro but know the ls1 makes more power. i just want a cruiser that fits the kids. Around 5k mark can get a nice one, or you can get an SN95 mustang gt really nice for probably less. I'd do a 94-95 personally.