Shooting at home - questions

nurkvinny

So, I live on a few acres near Pataskala. I am not in any city limits. I have a spot in my back field where I shoot. The target is a few layers of wood with a large, thick piece of steel behind that, angled towards the ground. Behind that is a small hill. 600' past that is a road.

I know an older lady up the road has called the Sheriff on another neighbor who shoots a LOT more and a LOT larger guns than I do. I have talked to my immediate neighbors, who are completely ok with my shooting and talked about coming over next time so they can shoot.

So, the question is... I feel I have a safe target set up. I am not in any city limits. Is there any reason I should worry about shooting on my property? Is there some link that shows local ordinances or laws?

Advice to deal with anyone who may call about me shooting? Advice how to smooth over the situation if a Sheriff does show up? BTW, I am 100% respectful to law enforcement and not looking to be a dick to them.

Thanks gentlemen.

So long as you have a good backstop and you don't have any illegal weapons then they can't do much. If cops are called they will probably show up and say hi but so long as there's nothing illegal going on they won't stay long. I'd also ask them to explain to the person calling them that nothing illegal is going on so stop being that guy.

The deputies will probably just hang around long enough to make sure you aren't being reckless, then take off. My parents live out there, we've had a visit or two on the few occasions when the firing rate got rambunctious...the deputies have never been anything but polite and courteous. Go cold-range and weapons down as soon as they show up...having somebody crank off a round while they are talking with you is just rude, they don't have hearing protection after all.

Offer them a couple of shots with your favorite shoulder thumper...they'll probably say no, but it's a good way to get them on your side.

• 3 weeks later...
I know there is no public discharging firearm ordinance in etna township so as long as I dont fire a gun during quiet hours I am good and I am on my own land.

Id just check with Pataskala offices

I'd check on that. It was my understanding that townships can really only create zoning restrictions and that you can't really restrict discharge of firearms through zoning laws. I was trying to find a cite, but wasn't able to come up with anything.

Maybe this just applies to any public areas like a park or other non-privately-owned township land?

My brother was shooting a 9mm into a stump once, we are on 1.5 acres with houses front and back and side to side within 300ft. The sheriff got called on my brother (probably rightly so, we have 0 backstop, minus that stump).

The sheriff rolls up, my brother gun in hand. She gets out, waves hi.

Officer: "hey your neighbors called because you were shootin"

Bro: "oh man, I am sorry offic...."

Officer "oh no no, you are well within your rights. We just do a courtesy stop for the complaining neighbor"

Bro: "I'm sorry I should be at a range"

Officer: "but why would you? You have every right to shoot out here. You can keep shooting, but if your neighbors call again, ill come out one more time. After that if they complain, I am putting them on the 'do not respond' list"

Lols, 100% dead truth. Never been more proud of LEO than that instant in time.

My brother was shooting a 9mm into a stump once, we are on 1.5 acres with houses front and back and side to side within 300ft. The sheriff got called on my brother (probably rightly so, we have 0 backstop, minus that stump).

The sheriff rolls up, my brother gun in hand. She gets out, waves hi.

Officer: "hey your neighbors called because you were shootin"

Bro: "oh man, I am sorry offic...."

Officer "oh no no, you are well within your rights. We just do a courtesy stop for the complaining neighbor"

Bro: "I'm sorry I should be at a range"

Officer: "but why would you? You have every right to shoot out here. You can keep shooting, but if your neighbors call again, ill come out one more time. After that if they complain, I am putting them on the 'do not respond' list"

Lols, 100% dead truth. Never been more proud of LEO than that instant in time.

your brother was shooting in a direction that there was a house 300' behind?

:no: