C6 Z06/Grand Sport/427 help needed!

zeitgeist57

My FIL has been looking at 2013 Corvette Grand Sport/427 convertibles to replace his 2002 Corvette Z06. I've gone with him to Bobby Layman, and went on a test drive. His biggest concern is the front air dam: the driveway to his house is somewhat steep, and he's always scraped the garbage out of the front of his past Corvettes if he takes the angle the wrong way.

Ryan, Tom, any C6 guys...I would really appreciate it if someone could meet me at his house (we're both in UA, not far away from CC&C at Lennox Town Center) so we can watch the approach angles for a Z06/Grand Sport to see if it clears; apparently, the C6s have a slightly better angle than the C5s. We'll be surrounding the car to make sure no damage is done...just want to see how everything looks when making the approach.

Thank you! :thumbup:

Sure I will be out in my car tomorrow. Lunchtime or something?

The part that hits before the air dam is the fairing underneath the radiator. It's a good safety net to warn you before you actually hit the front dam.

The manual actually states that scrapping the fairing is completely normal, lol.

That airdam is a merely ~$60 part; up to medium scrape is fine. Replace it when it's time to sell so it looks new. The air splitter, however, is a different story.

My car is already in hibernation and it's not a good example anyway as it's lowered with a very stiff, torsionally, suspension. Give me a call anytime when you have set up a time, it's not like I have a job ...

Why not test drive the car and see how it does?

We did, at Bobby Layman. They were a little nervous about us taking a Corvette with less than 70 miles on the odometer up to UA and back to scrape the front bumper. Can't imagine why. We measured the bumper at Bobby Layman.

My FIL called me this evening on this one, asking if we could get someone that has one to physically see if it works or not...

We did, at Bobby Layman. They were a little nervous about us taking a Corvette with less than 70 miles on the odometer up to UA and back to scrape the front bumper. Can't imagine why. We measured the bumper at Bobby Layman.

My FIL called me this evening on this one, asking if we could get someone that has one to physically see if it works or not...

They don't sound terribly motivated then....:fuuuu:

my moms scraps on a not so steep angle but if it get it just right it clears. i wouldnt worry about it too much. If you are worried about replacing a 60$ part for a 90k car you are doing something wrong. 90k for 427, 60-70 for grand sport and a little more for z06

Its all about hitting it at the right angle. I usually have little to no scrape on most driveways if I come at it pretty sideways.

But like the others have said, this is a cheaply replaceable part. It also is able to take quite a beating.

speaking of that, so can the black plastic front air splitter on the Z06. Lets just say I've tested the flexibility of that air splitter a few times. It always returns to its original shape.

Just read this / "the fix", I have the "curb killer" which is made of old tires!!! It costs like $150 bucks & your front nose is protected regardless of driveway pitch - places like Griots Garage carry it

Was going to suggest this, but I've had little issue getting these cars up on our alignment rack at work so it would have to be a pretty steep driveway to damage the spliter. I've even had Tom's Z06 up on our alignment rack with a couple peices of wood and it's fairly low.