Bringing back the Grand National

Buck531

Maybe it's just me, but I wish somebody would offer their performance models with tons of option deletes, cloth seats, and super basic everything. Just give me the go fast shit.

I would, for example, be a buyer for a V6 bodied Mustang with no options, power nothing, and the 5.0/6-speed combo.... or something along those lines. If it knocks 5 grand off the entry price, I'm interested.

Basically I'd like the finest mechanical goodies in the cheapest, ugliest chassis you've got, and sell it to me.

When I was looking at 2011 Mustangs they had a cloth seat, basic package 5.0 there. It didn't have crank windows, but I don't think many do. It was under 30K. Thinking 28 or 29. That did have the optional 3.73 gear though.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Performance Sedans" are the problem. Why, exactly, has the coupe died? Sports cars are 2 doors, that might have something that looks like a back seat to keep the insurance companies happy, not big fat family haulers.

that seems narrow minded. And what makes you think the coupe has "died"? Plenty of real sports cars, or sports coupes in the market. Some people want/need/prefer 4 doors... for family, practicality, space, etc... and some of that group of people still want performance and power and the ability to use it in a performance oriented manner. And some of that group do it because of the perception of prestige...

Just because you prefer a sports car, or a sports coupe, doesnt discount that there is a LARGE market for sports sedans, more particularly "luxury" sports sedans.

Looks cool to me, aside from the Vette and Camaro GM is lacking some interesting cars. Buick could really use this, and with the CTS going away Caddy does too.

The CTS isn't going away, it's getting larger.

I also wouldn't call this a replacement for the G8, as it's quite a bit smaller. The Chevy SS will take care of that market.

It will be 42k I bet, right in line with a SHO Taurus and BMW 335xi. The latter have AWD for the same price and no way am I buying a Buick or Ford sedan over a BMW 335xi. SMH.

The SHO on Germain's floor stickers at like $45k+ I LOL when I saw that. No way. I'd buy a 3yr old MBZ E Series, even an AMG and pay a few bucks more if needed and have a 10x nicer ride with very low miles.

How much was a brand new GN back in the 80's? Compared to what prices on cars are today it'll be about the same.

My dad had a 1987 GN on their lot for $18k. IIRC GNX's listed for just under $30k. In today's dollars that means a new GN should be about $36k and a GNX $60k. I don't see this car coming in at those numbers though. Hell even the new Ford Fusion approaches $40 loaded up and it's no where near as nice as these seem to be. Still....no thanks as it's still just a fucking car. That's just me and last I checked, there are a lot more valuable and wiser things to put $60k towards.

Edited by TTQ B4U

They have gone up a bit, when I bought my STi in late late 2010 They were around 42k, I was eyeing one, and kinda regret not pulling the trigger.

I actually just test drove the 335i Xdrive. Priced a hair over. 50k and that was with heated seats and M package. I'm passing on it though and getting another STi. Something about them that I like and I don't really wanna drive a BMW at this point in my life.

I actually just test drove the 335i Xdrive. Priced a hair over. 50k and that was with heated seats and M package. I'm passing on it though and getting another STi. Something about them that I like and I don't really wanna drive a BMW at this point in my life.

Touching story, would read again.

uhhh, what on earth makes you think this will be much, if any, smaller than the g8 platform?

Article said it will be built on the Alpha platform which is what the ATS is built on. The ATS weighs in at 3300 with the 3.6, the G8 weighed in at nearly 4000lbs this car will be a lot lighter than the G8 was and with the added turbos and such I would expect it to weigh less than 3500.

If this car weighs under 3500 as expected it should be awesome. The ATS target was 3300 pounds, they missed by 100 apparently. How can anyone on this supposed car board gripe about a sedan that weighs less than 3500, has 350 plus hp, is RWD and offers a manual? Because CR.

Article said it will be built on the Alpha platform which is what the ATS is built on. The ATS weighs in at 3300 with the 3.6, the G8 weighed in at nearly 4000lbs this car will be a lot lighter than the G8 was and with the added turbos and such I would expect it to weigh less than 3500.

ATS is 3630 AWD, and 3460 RWD, G8 is 3880 for the v6... so lets not exaggerate... Sure you can get a loaded v8 GT for 4000lbs...

Furthermore, lets talk size.... and we will use the important part of wheel base and track width...

Wheel Base

G8: 114.8

ATS: 109.3

Track Width F/R

G8: 62.7/63.3

ATS: 59.5/60.9

So it is a whopping 5" shorter on wheel base, and 3" narrower... yea, it is so much smaller....

But to the point made, it is more than I thought it was still, so I can see the gap.

If this car weighs under 3500 as expected it should be awesome. The ATS target was 3300 pounds, they missed by 100 apparently. How can anyone on this supposed car board gripe about a sedan that weighs less than 3500, has 350 plus hp, is RWD and offers a manual? Because CR.

agreed!