ok computer nerds I want your. 02

Buckeye1647545503

Gonna most likely buy a laptop to be used mostly for school. Internet time wasting / youtube etc and hopefully video editing come spring when I get the car out. I want overkill, I want it to still be a decent unit in 2 years or so when I graduate. What whould you buy and why?

Macbook pro dual-booted with 64bit Windows 7. Best of both worlds. Really can't go wrong, you want to safe-surf the net use the Mac side, then with the push of a button flip over to windows for all your .EXE programs. I flip flopped back n forth 3 times already today doing just that. Tits, Macs are tits.

plastic-junk virus-laden pc...meh.

Another reason for the Macbook: the (Aluminum) case is basically a giant radiator, also you get full fan control. It gets hot, blast the fans (both internal and external) and cool it down. Not so much with most (well all) plastic PC Laptops, my Core2 Dell Inspiron was a bastard when it came to fan control & heat transfer, no override whatsoever. It would just heat up to the point of shutdown :fuuuu:

Heat = Death.

Another reason for the Macbook: the (Aluminum) case is basically a giant radiator, also you get full fan control. It gets hot, blast the fans (both internal and external) and cool it down. Not so much with most (well all) plastic PC Laptops, my Core2 Dell Inspiron was a bastard when it came to fan control & heat transfer, no override whatsoever. It would just heat up to the point of shutdown :fuuuu:

Heat = Death.

LOL dell. There's your first problem.

Heat = Death.

That case is metal, I have a V570 and its great, core i5, 16gb ram, i have a ssd and hard drive. That has full fan control as well, so you should really stop spouting off nonsense. The newer sandy bridge and ivy bridge dont ever run hot, I game on mine, run photshop and video editing programs and never gets warm at all. Just cause you owned a cheap ass dell 6 years ago with a core2 doesn't mean they are all like that now. Oh and I dual boot OS X and windows 7.

That case is metal, I have a V570 and its great, core i5, 16gb ram, i have a ssd and hard drive. That has full fan control as well, so you should really stop spouting off nonsense. The newer sandy bridge and ivy bridge dont ever run hot, I game on mine, run photshop and video editing programs and never gets warm at all. Just cause you owned a cheap ass dell 6 years ago with a core2 doesn't mean they are all like that now.

Thanks for the conformation, but in case your system does run hot can you cool it off in heartbeat VIA OEM controls? Furthermore are you SURE this feature applies to every make/model?

Yes you can use SMC fan control to overde an/all fan-systems on any OSX based system.

Some in the know realize that Clublexus.com got haxed and there forum got bugged with malicious code. Everyone who visited there website on a Windows PC got fucked, hardcore. Just a matter of time till LS1.Tech gets hit with something similar. Browse with Mac, run your exe's wth windows on dual-boot. Forget the Anti Viruses.

You said you want "overkill" just for youtube and emailing? or was it a typo

correct mostly I don't know to what extent I will need it for school. I am sure I could "get by" with a cheap $2-300 unit but I had one years back that was middle of the road when I bought it and in no time it was not even good enough to basic things so I would rather buy up and have room if I need it. There are some things I would most likely like to get involved with but since I have only ever had leftover computers (never wanted to spend $ on one) I have never tried any of them (vid editing to name one)

I bought a Lenovo laptop from their outlet website. It's a refurb, but got a good deal on it and I've been perfectly happy with it.

So long as you get something middle of the road it won't be outdated in two years.

PS: I deleted the offtopic banter. Please stop.

Scott, get the most PC you can afford. Skip the Macbook. I've used OSX and own an iMac. Color me unimpressed. Avoid a cheapo plastic laptop, get something with a QUALITY case, and Core i5/or i7. Get a 3rd gen Core if you can swing it, at least 4 gb ram, and an SSD. Look into the Ultrabooks. They're more expensive, but typically include all the above plus a quality display.