03 Mazdaspeed Protege, coolant question

TurboGoKart

For a friend. We replaced the stock fan with a slimline fan, he drove the car home, coolant was boiling. Neither of the fans were on. But, the temp gauge inside read normal. :confused:

I'm thinking that the thermostat is bad? The fuses for the fans are fine. Slimline fan was tested on a battery before it was installed and it worked fine. I just didn't understand how the coolant could boil and the temp gauge inside read normal. Unless it's just because it's a Mazda? Lol. Any ideas before I tear the thermostat out?

Some aftermarket fans use their own temp probe in the radiator, but I guess the slimline you talk about doesn't. By fixing the fans, I meant to check to make sure that was set correctly.

Turn the A/C on while the car is running. If the fan is wired up correctly and the ECU is working properly, the fan should turn on. If this works then it is likely the Temp sending unit is bad.

The coolant could boil and the gauge still read close to normal if the coolant system isn't pressurizing. If that was happening you would likely notice a loss in coolant level though. So more likely the temp sending unit is bad.