Android guru's question about verizon

bodybuilding88

So I've always had iphones and am wanting to switch to a android platform for several reasons. I went in and the whole new data plans fuck me. Mainly because I have my phone with unlimited data and my mom is on my plan for a extra 10 bucks. With the new plans my bill would be like 50 a month more for the data I use monthly an have to pay 40 a month just for my mom to have a basic phone. I want to know if I buy a Note 2 outright for 600 or like a used droid rzr and put it on my line can I untether it somehow so I can use it as a hot spot for my ipad and laptop and since I have unlimited data I can give the man a middle finger and use all the data I want? Thanks ahead of time..

FoxFi

easy to use, but now it cuts off after a bit unless you buy the paid version

i rooted my droid razr maxx and use google hotspot. works great.

i pay for 10gigs which seems to be enough, unless im downloading a ton of songs. I have no internet at home, just my phone.

There was a suit a little while back because free tethering was "hidden" in the market. One of the agreements Verizon made was to make tethering free. The apps may not be free but the service will be outside of your normal monthly cost. It was focused on the non unlimited plans but you can still find them with a nice root.

If you want you can use your moms available upgrade (assuming she has one) for your Note 2 and then just take if off her line and put it on yours. You won't be charged for her to carry the data plan because she won't have a smartphone on her line by the time you leave the store.

When she wants a new phone go buy it outright. If she's using a basic phone it won't be nearly as much as a smartphone will be outright.

By the way, good choice with the Note 2.

thanks for all the responses. Glad to know there is some options out there. Now just gotta decide if I want to drop 650 or more on a new note 2 or get a older phone.

You are the kind of customer that we told them would feel forgot about with this plan. You have a basic phone at $10 a month plus your line with your data. On a base plan you would pay about $90. Go to the new plan and (for what you need) you are easily paying $140+ a month.

Another option... Add a 3rd line to your account and get the discount price. It will be $240 extra over the course of a 2 year contract for the plan, but you will save $400 on the phone. You can also use this line to upgrade again in the future and keep your unlimited for as long as you need it.

Edit: Just saw Ryan was thinking the same way. If your mom has one definitely go that route. If not you have this way too.

You are the kind of customer that we told them would feel forgot about with this plan. You have a basic phone at $10 a month plus your line with your data. On a base plan you would pay about $90. Go to the new plan and (for what you need) you are easily paying $140+ a month.

Another option... Add a 3rd line to your account and get the discount price. It will be $240 extra over the course of a 2 year contract for the plan, but you will save $400 on the phone. You can also use this line to upgrade again in the future and keep your unlimited for as long as you need it.

Edit: Just saw Ryan was thinking the same way. If your mom has one definitely go that route. If not you have this way too.

Thanks for the great ideas. Couple questions, If i add another line or use my moms upgrade and buy the note 2 wont I be starting a new 2 year contract to get the discount price and then have to sign up for the expensive data/talk/text bundle on that line? Just trying to make sure i understand it all. And yeah when i added up I would be paying like 50 a month more if i switched everthing over to these new data packages..

If you want you can use your moms available upgrade (assuming she has one) for your Note 2 and then just take if off her line and put it on yours. You won't be charged for her to carry the data plan because she won't have a smartphone on her line by the time you leave the store.

When she wants a new phone go buy it outright. If she's using a basic phone it won't be nearly as much as a smartphone will be outright.

By the way, good choice with the Note 2.

Thanks for the idea!

Thanks for the great ideas. Couple questions, If i add another line or use my moms upgrade and buy the note 2 wont I be starting a new 2 year contract to get the discount price and then have to sign up for the expensive data/talk/text bundle on that line? Just trying to make sure i understand it all. And yeah when i added up I would be paying like 50 a month more if i switched everthing over to these new data packages..

You would have to temporarily add a capped data plan but you could keep the share plan

ok I am good person to answer this thread. Go to ebay or craigslist buy a phone and root it. Activate a hot spot or tether it through a microusb cable. I use on average 90gb a month through my verizon plan for the past year. Never been called or billed differently. But If I get a new phone and dont buy one outright then I will be screwed.

Descent phones that channel data quickly 4g wise is Samsung brands. Nexus, Stratosphere, and charge you can pick up under $200. If you buy one from craigslist. I normally meet at the store and have it activated on the spot and then hand over their money etc..

If you make any changes to the parent account then you can suckered in as well. If you us a sub account under the main account you should be ok.

actually the guys at verizon say that it good cause it helps the flow of internet traffic. something about the towers legancy..

They asked me what I am doing, I told them that i send raws for my photography to my drop box for customers which is true but I didnt tell them i like me some torrents.

actually the guys at verizon say that it good cause it helps the flow of internet traffic. something about the towers legancy..

They asked me what I am doing, I told them that i send raws for my photography to my drop box for customers which is true but I didnt tell them i like me some torrents.

Its not good, but in your case its not bad either. In the area you are using it the network has enough free space that there is no impact. If you ever connect in a high usage area you will be throttled for a few months so be careful.

ok I am good person to answer this thread. Go to ebay or craigslist buy a phone and root it. Activate a hot spot or tether it through a microusb cable. I use on average 90gb a month through my verizon plan for the past year. Never been called or billed differently. But If I get a new phone and dont buy one outright then I will be screwed.

Descent phones that channel data quickly 4g wise is Samsung brands. Nexus, Stratosphere, and charge you can pick up under $200. If you buy one from craigslist. I normally meet at the store and have it activated on the spot and then hand over their money etc..

If you make any changes to the parent account then you can suckered in as well. If you us a sub account under the main account you should be ok.

Damn it Geoff. Guys like you are the reason we have to jump through all these hoops now. Quit that shit.

Also OP, the Note 2 Is a solid device. I'm loving mine. Ignore Geoff's advice about buying a cheapie. Been there, done that. Not worth it. Upgrade thru your mom, switch her back to a dumb phone after and cancel the data plan. Or better, be an awesome son and give her your iPhone.