Car of the Year: Go BRZ

Xyster101

I gotta say the BRZ is a blast to drive! Now that I have broken it in, what a hoot. People poo poo the stock tires, they do suck, but make for fun times doing burn outs and sliding the tail around turns. The car handles amazingly! The power is decent, but "turn-ins", stomping the gas, shifting, you need to drive one before you bad mouth it, just like a miata.

Now for you haters out there:

Top ten cars pf 2012 Jalopnik BRZ/FRS got #2

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1888kqv4w7k3yjpg/xlarge.jpg

Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 named Carsguide's Car of the Year it was a tie, first time in 16 years

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/12/13/1226536/278160-carsguide-car-of-the-year.jpg

Subaru BRZ Named 2013 AutoGuide.com Reader’s Choice Sports Car of the Year

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads//2012/12/2013-Subaru-BRZ-SCOTY.jpg

In Motortrend it made the top 25, but they picked the new Tesla S as the Car of the Year. That is a neat car, but I don't agree with picking a non gas car as the huge cost of a replacement battery is never mentioned when purchasing a hybrid. Tesla at least has this on their site

A Battery Replacement Option will be available for purchase soon. The option allows you to pre-purchase a new battery to be installed after eight years for a fixed price: $8,000 for 40 kWh batteries, $10,000 for 60 kWh batteries, and $12,000 for 85 kWh batteries
Other reviews say it will cost about 30% more at the 8 year mark if you don't pre-purchase a battery.

http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/tesla-models-s-official-photos-and-details-released-5372_1.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that that is complete hogwash. Things get CHEAPER as they become more available, not the other way around.

That's under $150 per kWh, while current cost estimates for the battery back are around $550 per kWh. Even it's it's estimated to cost 30% more, that's still a large decrease when compared to today's prices.

I agree that the BRZ should be among the top vehicles released this year, but I agree with MT's decision.

Not trying to hate but as an avid MKIV/SC300 fan I find them borderline repulsive. They sport some lame "econobox" stance and have absolutely no ass when it comes to the rear end.

I'll take a sexy, curvy MKIV Supra over a BRZ/FRS any day of the week.

Not trying to hate but as an avid MKIV/SC300 fan I find them borderline repulsive. They sport some lame "econobox" stance and have absolutely no ass when it comes to the rear end.

I'll take a sexy, curvy MKIV Supra over a BRZ/FRS any day of the week.

+1

I think they are neat cars, and I can appreciate OP enjoying it despite the haters, but it just doesn't excite me. Hopefully I'll get to drive one, but the styling will never get me excited.

I''ve had a chance to drive them alot, if like like the handling of the miata, you enjoy the frs/brz

I think they are neat cars, and I can appreciate OP enjoying it despite the haters, but it just doesn't excite me. Hopefully I'll get to drive one, but the styling will never get me excited.

Honestly, it will probably remind you of your Miata quite a bit, in the way of driving habits. In regards to looks, I think it looks better than Miatas, too. Win win for me.

I sat in Draco's and enjoyed it...reminded me of every "cockpit"-style car interior I've sat in from the '90s: RX-7, my old Corvette, Porsche 944, Nissan 300ZX.

I'm sure the car is great, and I appreciate Toyota/Subaru building it. Hopefully it will spurn other carmakers to do the same...which is what us car guys have been saying for years!!! (Build a cheap, RWD sports coupe and it will sell like hotcakes in USA)

comparing a mkIV to a frs/brz

is like comparing a civic to nsx............not really on the same playing field

Thing is you can buy a nicely equipped "well maintained" MKIV for about the cost of a new FRS/BRZ.

Once the Turbo platform is released the prices of the NA's will drop; you'll see them everywhere, they will become "just another car on the road". Unlike the MKIV, which sticks out like a sore thumb basically anywhere in the country, and will continue to do so year after year.

Guess which ones going to hold it's value...

Acklac and how long do you think that "Well Maintained mkIV" will last? How much maintance are you going to need to do ? Look at how bad ass the turbo kits are performing. I'd wager a 300whp BRZ would be a blast to drive.

Like I said "well maintained", still you could probably put money into it (MKIV) and still come out ahead a few years down the road when you go to sell it.

No doubt the BRZ's are fun cars, just personally dont find them very attractive, especially when compared to a Twin-Turbo Supra that costs the same.

Maybe once I see one lowered & aggressively stanced I'll take a liking to em, factory wheel gap is hideous.