So you want to fight for the cause?

copperhead

To start, stop reposting crap all over Facebook. It turns off non-gun types faster than anything which hurts the cause. If you look like a wacko then you will be ignored or worse, push them to the other side. Besides, the best thing for us right now is for everything to blow over and be forgotten about. Most of the higher ups in the gov want nothing to do with gun control, but there are a few that will push it no matter what, mostly Diane Feinstein and the Brady Bunch. If the subject can take a back seat to things that matter to everyone, like their taxes going up in a couple weeks, then we won't have anything to worry about. In the mean time we should be quietly organizing.

Firstly, join the NRA. Before deciding on gun control, most politicians that worry about getting reelected will take a look at the NRA membership numbers. They have been growing by 8,000 people a day. %20%20217.AAG&hid=4487688"]Here's a link to join for a year for $25 and get a $25 gift card to Bass Pro Shops.

Secondly, you need to donate to the NRA-ILA. This is the group that actually lobbies Congress, and therefore actually needs money. You can donate here.

Thirdly, the Second Amendment Foundation is the group that has been fighting for us in the courts. They are the ones who pushed to repeal the DC and Chicago handgun bans, among other things. They fight an entirely different fight than the NRA-ILA, and therefore need the help too. You can join for $15 for a year or donate here.

Fourth, join the Gun Owners of America (GOA). The NRA has traditionally cared more about hunters and not so much about modern sporting rifles such as the AR platform. The GOA's goals are more inline with modern firearms and viewpoints but they don't have nearly the pull the NRA does. More people joining the GOA helps keep the NRA in check. You can join them here for $20 for a year.

Fifth, keep in mind we still have to fight at home. Ohio has been improving but still has a way to go. Donate to the Buckeye Firearms Association here.

Sixth, write letters. Write emails. Make phone calls. Only contact your directly elected officials. Make sure you include your name, address and phone number. If you can't vote for that person, then you are just annoying them which doesn't help us. You can find them here. Let them know (POLITELY AND COHERENTLY) at the federal level that you are very opposed to ANY gun control measures. At the state level let them know that you approve of the progress they have made and would like for them to further address things such as eliminating the 31 round magazine ban, allowing CCW reciprocity with all states, allowing out of state residents to get Ohio CCW, eliminating requirement to inform officers of CCW, eliminating dangerous gun free zones, enforcing freedom to open carry and reprimanding officers that attempt to interfere with it, and whatever other issues you guys can think up. If someone could write up some canned letters and scripts for phone calls I'll post them in here.

Lastly, get your gun owning friends on board without violating number 1. Pass this on to other gun forums, I know Ohio Riders has a gun section for example. Talk to less informed gun owners about how panic buying magazines isn't helping, but for less than the price of one used USGI mag from Cheaper Than Dirt, they can actually make a difference. Instead of feeling like we have already lost we need to start a wave of momentum pushing back. We can win this fight, but only if we come across as sane and united, so can the "from my cold dead hands" or "vote from the rooftops" lines until it actually comes to that. In the mean time pray that it doesn't.

As aways, a well written and informed post copperhead, thanks. I'm a member to a couple there, but did not know of the others. I started a letter to my represntitive last night and will be proofing it today to email.

Dicks and CTD are off my list of places to buy from.

I read exactly this much...

To start, stop reposting crap all over Facebook. It turns off non-gun types faster than anything which hurts the cause. If you look like a wacko then you will be ignored or worse, push them to the other side. Besides, the best thing for us right now is for everything to blow over and be forgotten about. Most of the higher ups in the gov want nothing to do with gun control, but there are a few that will push it no matter what, mostly Diane Feinstein and the Brady Bunch. If the subject can take a back seat to things that matter to everyone, like their taxes going up in a couple weeks, then we won't have anything to worry about. In the mean time we should be quietly organizing.

...before I realized that you are the only voice of reason on this site for the "Wacky gun owner". Here's hoping you can undo all the damage Paul and Mitch have done in chatbox.

Make your communications short and sweet. A couple of sentences is all you need, just to let your government reps know that you "do not support additional regulations on firearms." Ask them what their position is so you know who to vote for next time...

NRA - Done

NRA ILA - Done

SAF - Done

GOA - Already a member :) Sent them more cash after watching Larry mop the floor with that sniveling window-peeper Piers Morgan.

BFA - Done

Letters - Written in past plus emails but more are needed.

Great post by the way. Thank you :megusta:

Got to love automatic replies lol

Thank you so much for your email. It is an honor to serve as your Congressman and I'm glad you've taken the time to contact me.

If you have an issue or request that is time sensitive, please call my Columbus, Ohio office at (614) 523-2555 and my staff will be happy to assist you.

Last year, I received more than 70,000 incoming communications from my constituents. Due to the extremely large volume of emails I receive, I am not always able to respond to every communication as quickly as I'd like. For a faster reply to your question, I encourage you to call my office at (614) 523-2555.

Thanks again for your email. Please don't hesitate to contact my office if I may be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,

Patrick J. Tiberi

Representative to Congress

Got to love automatic replies lol

Thank you so much for your email. It is an honor to serve as your Congressman and I'm glad you've taken the time to contact me.

If you have an issue or request that is time sensitive, please call my Columbus, Ohio office at (614) 523-2555 and my staff will be happy to assist you.

Last year, I received more than 70,000 incoming communications from my constituents. Due to the extremely large volume of emails I receive, I am not always able to respond to every communication as quickly as I'd like. For a faster reply to your question, I encourage you to call my office at (614) 523-2555.

Thanks again for your email. Please don't hesitate to contact my office if I may be of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,

Patrick J. Tiberi

Have you called yet? :)

-Marc

Have you called yet? :)

-Marc

Mr. Drewhop (my full name was here)

(My address was here)

Newark, OH 43055

Dear Mr. Drewhop

Yes. And I also Just recieved this today. I am quite surprised.

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. I appreciate this opportunity to correspond with you.

I am shocked and heartbroken by the horrific events that happened in Newton, CT. As you know, on December 14, 2012, 20 year-old Adam Lanza walked into Sandy Hook Elementary and opened fire, killing 26 people, including 20 children. Lanza also shot and killed his mother in her home.

These teachers and children were taking part in one of the most important and fundamental acts we do throughout our lives by educating our youth with hopes of a brighter future. As the father of four children, my heart goes out to the families of the victims. The loss of innocent lives is devastating.

This tragedy is unthinkable and requires a comprehensive examination of the facts. There are still many unanswered questions. It's time that we as a society take a broad look at the level of violence we find acceptable in our everyday lives. This examination combined with an evaluation of the effectiveness of our mental health system to preempt acts like these rather than react to them is a step in the right direction.

Many senseless tragedies like these follow a pattern; a disenchanted, bright, loner with mental health issues finds a way to damage people's lives with some form of violence. The discussion about school safety is vital to addressing these recent events. Moreover, it's certainly the time to reignite the discussion about the role the federal government has in supporting a strong mental health treatment system and working to ensure our communities and our children are safe. You may be interested to read the attached opinion editorial from The Columbus Dispatch by Dr. John V. Campo, Chair of the Department of Psychiatry at The Ohio State University and Chief of Psychiatry at Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center, who calls on Congress and the nation to get serious about the relationship between severe mental illness and violence.

I believe that before we enact additional gun control measures we must start enforcing those that are already on the books. You may be interested to know that the Brady Act of 1993 requires Federal Firearms Licensees to request background checks on individuals attempting to receive a firearm. The National Instant Criminal Background Check System is managed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This system already runs database checks on criminal records.

Rest assured that this is a matter that I and my colleagues take very seriously. I will closely review legislation that addresses these issues should they be considered by the United States House of Representatives. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. If I may be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Patrick J. Tiberi

PJT/rk

I have received 2 replies already.

Dear XXXXX

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families, and loved ones grieving in the wake of this merciless and random act of violence. No words can describe our horror at the murder of these innocent children and their educators, just as words fail to express our gratitude for the heroism of those teachers and law enforcement officers who responded in the morning hours of December 14, 2012. The school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary demands that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society. We can and must act to make such tragedies less likely in the future.

This is a complex issue and we must work together to uphold our Constitution while at the same time ensuring that our communities are safe. When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action.

Many Ohioans have already written in with comments, suggestions, and concerns. I will continue to pay close attention to each of your letters, calls, and emails, and on behalf of all Ohioans, I offer my continued prayers and condolences to the Newtown community. Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

United States Senator

Dear XXXXXX

Thank you for contacting me about our Second Amendment rights. It is good to hear from you.

I am a gun owner who believes in the right to bear arms in defense of self, family and property. During my 12 years serving in Congress, I received an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association for defending our Constitutional Rights. I opposed the so-called "assault weapons ban" and opposed the Brady Bill. I supported repealing both the Clinton gun ban and the Washington, D.C. gun ban. I voted to protect the private information of gun owners; to protect state gun laws; and to protect firearm and ammunition manufacturers, dealers or importers from lawsuits and damages related to criminal misuse by a third party.

As a life-long hunter, I also believe the rights and freedoms of hunters must be guarded and I developed an executive order that the president signed to enhance hunting and fishing opportunities at wildlife refuges and national preserves. As your Senator, I will continue to protect our Constitutional freedoms and will be a strong advocate for preserving these rights and traditions for future generations.

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office. For more information, I encourage you to visit my website at http://www.portman.senate.gov. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Rob Portman

U.S. Senator

• 2 weeks later...

Got an "reply" from state .gov, but not our friends at higher levels yet...

Dear Brian:

Like all Americans, I was horrified as the tragedies of Friday, December 14th unfolded in Newtown, Connecticut. The deplorable act of violence that took the lives of innocent children and adults is beyond reason, and I pray that, in time, the families of the victims and the people of that community are able to find peace.

As you no doubt recall, we were all reminded of the evil that exists in our world when six students were shot, three fatally, at Chardon High School in Geauga County on February 27th, 2012. In the aftermath, the heroic stories of the first responders, teachers and staff who acted swiftly and selflessly to protect others showed true courage.

Since that tragic event, and in the wake of the recent tragedy in Newtown, the absolute necessity for school officials, parents, students and first responders to be trained and practiced in responding to these unthinkable crimes is of utmost importance. Various state and local agencies, including the Ohio Office of Homeland Security and the Ohio Department of Education, have worked collaboratively to implement, review and drill response plans. Moreover, these occasions of violence and heartache should give us all pause to think about how we treat each other, and the value we as a society place upon every life.

With regard to calls for legislation in response to these events, it is my belief that we will be best served by enforcing those laws that currently exist. And, in the weeks and months that follow, we should learn as much as possible about how this happened, and what steps we can take, including mental health awareness and school safety protocols, to guard against the senseless loss of innocent life ever again.

I appreciate your taking the time to write. Please join me and my family in continuing to keep the communities of Chardon and Newtown, and all innocent victims of violence, in our prayers. Thank you.

My replies

Dear Kris :

Like all Americans, I was horrified as the tragedies of Friday, December 14 th unfolded in Newtown, Connecticut. The deplorable act of violence that took the lives of innocent children and adults is beyond reason, and I pray that, in time, the families of the victims and the people of that community are able to find peace.

As you no doubt recall, we were all reminded of the evil th at exists in our world when six students were shot, three fatally, at Chardon High School in Geauga County on February 27 th , 2012. In the aftermath, the heroic stories of the first responders, teachers and staff who acted swiftly and selflessly to protect others showed true courage.

Since that tragic event, and in the wake of the recent tragedy in Newtown, the absolute necessity for school officials, parents, students and first responders to be trained and practiced in responding to these unthinkable crimes is of utmost importance. Various state and local agencies, including the Ohio Office of Homeland Security and the Ohio Department of Education, have worked collaboratively to implement, review and drill response plans. Moreover, these occasions of violence and heartache should give us all pause to think about how we treat each other, and the value we as a society place upon every life.

With regard to calls for legislation in response to these events, it is my belief that we will be best served by enforcing those laws that currently exist. And, in the weeks and months that follow, we should learn as much as possible about how this happened, and what steps we can take, including mental health awareness and school safety protocols, to guard against the senseless loss of innocent life ever again.

I appreciate your taking the time to write. Please join me and my family in continuing to keep the communities of Chardon and Newtown, and all innocent victims of violence, in our prayers. Thank you.

Thank you for sending me your comments. Listening to the views of the people I represent in the U.S. Senate is a critical part of my job. I do my best to provide every Ohioan with a prompt response. If you have an urgent matter, please feel free to call any of my offices in Ohio or Washington, DC.

If you have not done so already, please visit my Senate website (http://brown.senate.gov) for comprehensive information about my work in the Senate, as well as constituent services that my office provides and how to get connected with federal programs.

Or, you may be interested in receiving my e-Newsletters to stay connected with what's happening in Congress of importance to Ohio. Sign up for regular updates on the work I am doing in the Senate, and please select a few issues to get newsletter updates on specific topics as subjects arise. Sign-up here: http://brown.senate.gov/newsletter/landing

Dear Kris Ramsey,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail me your feelings regarding the second amendment. I appreciate your concerns and opinions about this issue.

I am generally supportive of the second amendment however I do acknowledge the need for public safety and protecting our citizens. I will be sure to keep your thoughts on this matter in mind as the legislature moves forward.

If you have other concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my office at district22@ohr.state.oh.us . Thank you once again for your e-mail.

Sincerely,

Rep. John Patrick Carney

House District 22

Dear Mr. Ramsey:

Thank you for expressing your views about firearms legislation.

As a United States Senator, I took an oath to defend the Constitution. The Second Amendment makes clear that Americans have the right to own guns, and the Supreme Court over time has given meaning to this right.

When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action. The shocking numbers of public shootings throughout the country last year, culminating in Newtown, Connecticut, demands that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society.

Like all rights, it must be balanced against others. I have supported restrictions on the possession of assault-style weapons so our public safety officers are not put at increased risk, and restrictions on the ability of criminals to possess handguns but I fully support the right of Ohioans to own firearms.

Should the Senate consider this issue in the future, I will support common-sense reforms that protect both public safety and the rights of gun owners.

Secondly, thank you for sharing your thoughts about filibusters and the call for the United States Senate to reform its rules.

I understand the frustration caused by the unprecedented number of filibusters and threats of filibusters during recent sessions of Congress. Under Senate Rules, actual floor speeches are not required to invoke a filibuster. If a Senator indicates that he or she intends to filibuster legislation, the Senate may not move on to other business until 60 votes are gathered.

As the Senate convened two years ago for the 112th Congress, many Senators believed it was time to address the rules of the filibuster. Many of my colleagues called for a reduction in the number of votes required to invoke cloture to move forward to a final vote.

The Senate did vote to end — with my strong support — the practice of secret holds. This means that while a single Senator may still place a hold on legislation or a nomination, he or she must disclose — within two session days — their intent to place a hold. I believe it is important for government to strive for transparency and the elimination of the secret hold is a step in the right direction.

The rules of the Senate certainly can be frustrating, and sometimes prevent action on meaningful legislation, but they also serve to prevent a bare political majority from unfairly fast-tracking legislation that merits serious consideration and some level of consensus. While it is crucial to preserve the right of the minority, when a legislative process is abused revising our rules merits reconsideration. As the Senate considers rule changes, I will keep your advocacy close in mind.

Thank you again for being in touch with me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

United States Senator

Dear Mr. Ramsey:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families, and loved ones grieving in the wake of this merciless and random act of violence. No words can describe our horror at the murder of these innocent children and their educators, just as words fail to express our gratitude for the heroism of those teachers and law enforcement officers who responded in the morning hours of December 14, 2012. The school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary demands that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society. We can and must act to make such tragedies less likely in the future.

This is a complex issue and we must work together to uphold our Constitution while at the same time ensuring that our communities are safe. When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action.

Many Ohioans have already written in with comments, suggestions, and concerns. I will continue to pay close attention to each of your letters, calls, and emails, and on behalf of all Ohioans, I offer my continued prayers and condolences to the Newtown community. Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

United States Senator

STEVE STIVERS

15th District, Ohio

FINANCIAL SERVICES COMMITTEE

WASHINGTON OFFICE:

1007 Longworth House Office Building

Washington, DC 20515

PH: (202) 225-2015

FAX: (202) 225-3529

CENTRAL OHIO DISTRICT OFFICE:

3790 Municipal Way

Hilliard, OH 43026

PH: (614) 771-4968

FAX: (614) 771-3990

January 3, 2013

Mr. Kris Ramsey

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dublin, OH 43017-xxxx

Dear Mr. Ramsey:

Thank you for contacting me to share your support of gun ownership rights. I appreciate this opportunity to correspond with you.

I am and will continue to be a firm supporter of a law-abiding citizen's right to own firearms. This right is protected by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, and I do not support laws that would impede the use of firearms for hunting, self-defense, sporting, or other legal purposes.

My thoughts and prayers remain with the victims, families and loved ones impacted by the senseless and horrific tragedy at Sandyhook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. As a nation, we must ensure the safety of our schools, as well as address the root cause of this violence and the gaps in our mental health policy. Clearly someone who commits this sort of terrible atrocity is in need of mental health assistance. We must ensure that people receive the mental health services they need. That is why I supported mental health parity as a state senator, and I will continue to address the issue on the federal level.

Please be assured I have noted your specific comments. Should legislation affecting the rights of gun owners come before me in Congress, I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. Please do not hesitate to contact my office if I may be of assistance in the future. For additional information on where I stand on the policies and issues before Congress, please sign up for my e-newsletter at: http://www.stivers.house.gov. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Sincerely,

Steve Stivers

Member of Congress

Dear Representative Beatty,

This week, Senator Feinstein along with some half-dozen of her colleagues introduced a broad "assault weapons" ban in the U.S. Senate. Vice President Biden followed up with a presentation on the administration's latest proposals and asked us to contact our representatives.

I would like you to know that I am in general support of proposals which improve our ability to perform effective background checks and support providing even private individuals a way to access the background check system. States need to do a better job of reporting 'prohibited individuals' into the system.

I also support efforts to improve our response to mental health issues BUT on a state/local level vs. creation of new federal programs or mandates. Our focus should be on how we support the states in their efforts. The reality between the states may be very different and I think it's important that they are able to tailor their response vs. a 'one size fits all' approach.

Beyond this, I do NOT support any attempt to further circumscribe the civil rights of the American people. Not only are 'bans' of any type completely ineffective and therefore bad policy, most importantly they are incompatible with the language and purposes of the Second Amendment. Contrary to what the President and Vice-President often state, the Second Amendment is not about hunting and target shooting but instead recognizes the individual right to protect self, family, and country from both internal and external threats. You cannot say you are a supporter of the right to keep and bear arms and then attempt to tear it down, hiding behind this deliberate misrepresentation.

I urge you then to uphold your oath to support and defend the Constitution by voting 'no' on ANY legislation eclipsing the free and lawful exercise of EVERY civil right recognized and guaranteed by that document.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

so what exactly is going on? All Ive read is what is posted on here and whats on facebook.

Cliffs:

• Psychopath shoots up an elementary school using semi-automatic weapons.

• Second Amendment opponents see an opportunity to use the tragedy to advance their agenda.

• While pretending to be all for the 2A, Progressives introduce proposals, executive orders, and legislation attempting to ban the arms the 2A was meant to protect namely "militia arms and those in common use" (e.g. semi-automatic riles, pistols, and shotguns)

• In a preview of things to come nationally, the State of New York, already a bastion of peace through gun control, passes even more restrictive controls - limiting magazine capacity to 7 rounds (which impacts most semi auto rifles and handguns). In a 'hoisted by your own petard' moment, the hastily rammed through legislation also makes police subject to the same law. :lolguy:

• A number of people are taking exception with all this fuckery.

Dear James:

Like all Americans, I was horrified as the tragedies of Friday, December 14th unfolded in Newtown, Connecticut. The deplorable act of violence that took the lives of innocent children and adults is beyond reason, and I pray that, in time, the families of the victims and the people of that community are able to find peace.

As you no doubt recall, we were all reminded of the evil that exists in our world when six students were shot, three fatally, at Chardon High School in Geauga County on February 27th, 2012. In the aftermath, the heroic stories of the first responders, teachers and staff who acted swiftly and selflessly to protect others showed true courage.

I appreciate your taking the time to write. Please join me and my family in continuing to keep the communities of Chardon and Newtown, and all innocent victims of violence, in our prayers.

Thank you.

Governor John Kasich‏

Canned reply......

Todays response.

Dear Kris,

Thank you for contacting me to express your views about the President's gun control proposals. It is good to hear from you.

As you know, President Obama recently issued 23 executive actions and endorsed gun control legislative initiatives following the terrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

I had hoped President Obama would look to address the root causes of senseless acts of violence and work with Congress to develop a comprehensive plan to lessen the likelihood of these kinds of tragic incidents in the future. Unfortunately, the President has chosen to act unilaterally wherever he can and focus on new gun bans which I believe would undermine the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.

In response to tragic attacks like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary, I remain committed to ensuring that those who suffer from mental illness, a common thread in these instances, receive proper care, that current gun laws are enforced, and that school safety is enhanced as we address the deeper issue of violence in our society.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact my office. For more information, please visit my website at http://www.portman.senate.gov . Please keep in touch. EMAIL.BEGINHIDE.MERGE

Sincerely,

A

Rob Portman

U.S. Senator

Sincerely,

Rob Portman

U.S. Senato

Just got this one:

Dear Mr. Gill:

Thank you for expressing your concerns over gun control and access to mental health care.

When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, we as a country must take action. The shocking numbers of public shootings throughout the country last year, culminating in Newtown, Connecticut, demand that we engage in a serious national discussion.

Many people have expressed concerns about holes in our mental health care system that contributes to violence. Though people with mental illness are not at an increased risk of behaving violently in general, there is a subset of individuals with mental illness who are at risk of violent behavior of the kinds we have seen in public gathering places.

Over the last few years, Congress has passed laws to improve the mental health system so individuals in need of psychiatric evaluation, treatment, and support do not fall through the cracks. Several components of these laws have yet to be fully implemented.

In a bipartisan effort to ensure that mental and behavioral health services are covered by insurance in a manner equivalent to medical and surgical services. Congress passed the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act in 2008 This law prohibits insurance companies from arbitrarily limiting the number of hospital days or outpatient treatment sessions a patient is granted, as well as prohibiting higher copayments or deductibles for subscribers who seek psychological services. Such practices by insurance companies were both wrong and counterproductive. This legislation will help the 54 million Americans with mental illness gain access to appropriate and affordable treatment. My Senate colleagues and I have been working with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to ensure this law is fully implemented. Additionally, I and several of my colleagues sent a letter to President Obama asking him and HHS to fully implement the law.

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is also working to improve access to mental and behavioral health services. Individuals in Ohio who have been denied insurance coverage due to a pre-existing mental health condition can now access the new Ohio High-Risk Insurance pool. For more information on the high risk pool or to sign-up for coverage, please visit http://www.insurance.ohio.gov/Documents/07-22-10HighRiskPoolFAQs.pdf

The ACA immediately eliminated pre-existing coverage exclusions for children. Kids will no longer be denied coverage — or have services excluded from coverage — as a result of pre-existing conditions. Additionally, parents of young adults can now maintain coverage for their children until age 26. Serious mental illness is often first noticed in the late teens or early twenties, when the brain is changing rapidly and when pressures to perform are great. It is crucial that young adults with existing or emerging mental illnesses not experience lapses in coverage at this time of high risk.

Beginning in 2014, insurance companies can no longer deny coverage to individuals with mental illness and insurers cannot use mental illness as a reason to raise premiums. HHS also established an essential benefits package — a set of health care service categories that must be covered by most plans — that will take effect in 2014. Mental health and substance abuse disorder services will be part of this package.

The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act and the ACA represent tremendous strides forward for mental health coverage and access. However, we must also re-examine our mental health safety net, which has faced unrelenting budget cuts, reducing access for some our most vulnerable citizens.

Finally, we must work to reduce the stigma attached to mental health treatment, and find ways to support families who are concerned about the mental health status of their loved ones. It is essential that families know about the mental health resources available to them, and that they understand they have allies and other resources to which they can turn. Education about signs of mental illness, how to obtain a mental health screening, and how to access treatment services are simple but key ingredients to a successful national plan for managing mental health crises.

Gun violence is a complex issue and we must work together to uphold our Constitution while at the same time ensuring that our communities are safe. We can and must act to make such tragedies less likely in the future. Should any legislation concerning gun control and access to mental and behavioral health care come before the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown

United States Senator

Todays:

Dear Mr. Gill,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to legislation regulating assault weapons. As a gun owner, concealed carry permit holder, and lifetime member of the NRA, I share your support for the Second Amendment. I am also troubled that there are those who would consider exploiting such a senseless human tragedy as the Sandy Hook shooting for political gain.

As you may know, on January 24, 2013, Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) introduced S.150, the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013. This legislation would prohibit the sale, manufacture, transfer and importation of 157 of the most commonly-owned assault weapons, in addition to banning an additional group of assault weapons that can accept a detachable ammunition magazine. It would also ban large-capacity magazines and other ammunition feeding devices that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

Additionally, S. 150 would require background checks on all future transfers of assault weapons covered by this legislation, prohibit the sale or transfer of high-capacity ammunition feeding devices currently in existence, and impose additional requirements on the storage of grandfathered assault weapons.

While Senator Feinstein claims this legislation "protects the rights of law-abiding citizens," who use guns for legitimate recreational purposes, hunting or protection, I have serious concerns that this legislation infringes on Second Amendment rights. I, along with every other American, agree that what occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School is a human tragedy. I support efforts that will improve the identification, diagnosis, and treatment of individuals who face serious mental health challenges, and I support common sense measures to reduce the overall culture of violence in America. But, I will not support any legislation or executive action that seeks to limit the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, please be assured that I share your opposition to S. 150 or similar legislation to ban assault weapons by law-abiding citizens.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions or concerns. I also encourage you to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and at http://www.billjohnson.house.gov, so that you may keep track of my most recent work in Congress. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,

Bill Johnson

Member of Congress