Very Official 2013 Football Thread

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... I just now saw this video. Classy to say the least, especially from a bunch of kids in a sport that has the reputation of being full of selfish athletes. They have been well mentored and I'm impressed to say the least. Makes me even prouder to be a Buckeye...

Pavo

Saturdays game is Ohio State's real last shot to impress the voters until they play Michigan. We let a potential blowout turn into a nail biter late. Style points mean so much this season, and although I would say Northwestern is my second favorite Big Ten team, we need to crush them. No more letting off the gas.

Saturdays game is Ohio State's real last shot to impress the voters until they play Michigan. We let a potential blowout turn into a nail biter late. Style points mean so much this season, and although I would say Northwestern is my second favorite Big Ten team, we need to crush them. No more letting off the gas.

Well...

So what exactly is the balance between putting up gargantuan numbers and ensuring victory? Offensive coordinator Tom Herman said there is none.

"What gets lost is the offense and defense and special teams, they’re not mutually exclusive," Herman said. "We all work together. When you have a 17-point lead in the fourth quarter, the way you approach how you are going to call the game changes significantly, and I would think any football coach — I’d hope — would tell you the same.

"Do the fans want to see everything they saw in the first quarter in the fourth quarter? Absolutely. Good for them. But it's not going to happen. We have a responsibility to win the game. We don't have a resposibility to put up ‘x’ number of points or ‘x’ number of yards. There were certainly very justifiable reasons for approaching the game the way we did there in the fourth quarter."

If the strategy did not impress the pollsters, the results — for the 17th straight time — could not be disputed.

Style points? Herman laughed.

"There's a reason there is talk radio and message boards and everybody in here has a job," Herman told a room filled with reporters Monday. "And that's to discuss things that are probably never, ever, ever discussed in the staff room. You guys decide to lose sleep over it, and that’s fine."

Not gonna happen unless the defense makes it happen

Most of the media are all SEC homers, who ever wins the SEC championship game will go the NCG, unless it's a 2loss SEC team. Clemson and Oregon are all playing in pretty tough conferences. If they can win out, by all means, they deserve to go to the NCG. Even if tOSU blows out every team they play this year, it wouldn't make a difference Oregon, Stanford, or Clemson wins out. Now if Clemson blows out Florida State or Oregon Blows out UCLA or Stanford, that would make a difference as if they they will be no. 2 or no.3. But that's all my speculation of course.

BTW, anyone see this? LOL

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1794060-air-force-vs-navy-faces-possible-postponement-due-to-government-shutdown?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

I honestly think if it comes down to 3-4 undefeated teams at the end of the year OSU is on the outside looking in. Clemson's body of work if they go undefeated is better than anyone elses. There is still a lot of season left to go, but there has to be some upsets along the way in order for OSU to make it in. I think Clemson loses 2 games, Florida State and S. Carolina. LSU has got to beat Bama and then maybe OSU will face winner of Oregon/Stanford in the NCG.

Top 25 matchups and games to watch this week:

#25 Maryland at #8 Florida State

#4 Ohio State at #16 Northwestern

#15 Washington at #5 Stanford (be nice to see Stanford get upset here and then go on to beat Oregon)

West Virginia at #17 Baylor (I smell upset)

#22 Arizona St ate Notre Dame (I'll take the Irish)

Another likely referee gaffe costing a team a game tonight. Texas down 6 with less than 2 to play get down inside the Iowa State 5. Texas' RB gets stripped at the one and the Iowa State player had nothing but green in front of him. He gets about 10 yards down field with the ball before a whistle blows. They rule him down, NOT by stopped forward progress (which would have been a BS call as well), play is reviewed, play somehow stands. Texas ends up getting a TD and PAT for a 1-point lead. Iowa State had just 55 seconds and no timeouts left, got across midfield then a crazy deflected pass is intercepted... game over.

Article with gif of the play and the ISU HC's post-game presser where he absolutely goes off...

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/10/3/4801278/iowa-state-paul-rhoads-texas-fumble-big-12

Read a good breakdown of Roby's play in the Wisconsin game and found some pretty interesting points

-He was the sole outside contain for the jet sweep, while playing man covereage. So he had to play the run first, while also covering UW's best receiver. This is why he was able to get beat on PA double moves. He had to play the first 7 yards or so of the route as zone, would jump the PA, and Abracadabra would be gone.

-The coverage responsibilities for Boundry vs Field are very different in zone. He was caught playing the boundry coverage responsibilities a few times where he got beat, so he didn't have the proper help. It's not known if Roby was playing the wrong coverage, or if the other defender's couldn't remember to switch responsibility.

Read a good breakdown of Roby's play in the Wisconsin game and found some pretty interesting points

-He was the sole outside contain for the jet sweep, while playing man covereage. So he had to play the run first, while also covering UW's best receiver. This is why he was able to get beat on PA double moves. He had to play the first 7 yards or so of the route as zone, would jump the PA, and Abracadabra would be gone.

-The coverage responsibilities for Boundry vs Field are very different in zone. He was caught playing the boundry coverage responsibilities a few times where he got beat, so he didn't have the proper help. It's not known if Roby was playing the wrong coverage, or if the other defender's couldn't remember to switch responsibility.

:gabe:

Boss looked at me weird for LOL'ing.

I feel bad for Tennesee, they had Georgia on the ropes only to lose in OT. I hate the rule that if a player with the ball fumbles it out of bounds, its a touchback and possession goes to the other team. It doesn't work that way if they fumble at the 50, why change it in the end zone? Make it a touchback but team keeps possession. Edited by DaddyBuiltRacing

Had he thrown the ball when the receiver was breaking out of the route, instead of after, he would have gotten the pass off.

Had Decker not gotten steamrolled after 1 second, the DE wouldn't have got there.