Hmm what to buy, complicated qualifications.

99StockGT

I'm not sure why anything with a supercharged 3800 is even an option given his stipulations (must be manual). He could get a turd gen camaro in "decent" shape for that kind of money, but lets face it, every third gen camaro has been abused (especially if its a v8). A clean roller third gen with a ls drivetrain could be fun though.

Ultimately I'm with Ramsey, just tell him to get a bike.

More or less started this thread exactly for this purpose, so he can see things through our eyes. Brand loyalty is a great thing, but don't let it be your ONLY qualifier. A camero is certainly in the picture, he has extensive experience on similar motors and it gets his bowtie fetish all tingly. Hadn't thought of the Durango R/T...that's not a bad idea. Gets him big rumbly and some decent performance but can still kinda be used as a truck..good thought!

Early 90s Dodge Shadow 2.5 Turbo anyone? lol

More or less started this thread exactly for this purpose, so he can see things through our eyes. Brand loyalty is a great thing, but don't let it be your ONLY qualifier. A camero is certainly in the picture, he has extensive experience on similar motors and it gets his bowtie fetish all tingly. Hadn't thought of the Durango R/T...that's not a bad idea. Gets him big rumbly and some decent performance but can still kinda be used as a truck..good thought!

Early 90s Dodge Shadow 2.5 Turbo anyone? lol

Just walk. Both of you.

Well, he can get something older:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=103440703

But since he's excluded 90% of the brands on the market, it's tough. He didn't say anything about Korean or Swedish cars?

Hyundai Elantra GT (not exactly fun to drive, but it's not the worst car I found)

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=106195056

Saab 9-3:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=107127959

This may be one of the last fun-to-drive Saturns:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=108694640

Unfortunately the SHO while one of MY favorite ideas is a Ford, same with the fox body. Which means its off his list. I have tried to open his mind to the miata. We will see if I have any luck. We did kick around an RX8 and doing an LS swap though that will take us above the $3 mark. The GM 3.8 s/c is a strong possibility but ...

even an rx7 roller will take you well above that mark. seriously, with a $3k budget why even bother?? better off buying a reliable daily driver---and even then, $3k is not a stellar budget.

Chevy Cavalier z24/Beretta

Anything Dodge from the 90s with "Shelby" or "R/T" in the name

'80s-'90s F-Body

Saturn SL2/SC2

RWD Volvo

Lowered S10

I have a 3hr drive ahead of me...will let you know what else I think of :)

EDIT: LOL @ Greg...didn't see his post.

Edited by zeitgeist57

Oddly the Saab 9-3 is exactly what started this search. So that is most certainly still in the running. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of exposure to people who have done much tuning with them. Browsing through the interwebz there are a few sites out there of people who have done builds for these but certainly no where near the following there is with other Euro boxes with turbos like Audi/VW. Anyone have personal experience on these beyond basic day to day stuff and standard bolt ons?

ps- I had Saab 9-3 Viggen (the "fast"ish one) it was super fun but pretty much everything costs $$$$$ to fix. Sucks because it's a fun car and mine had 4 doors and a hatch so it was practical. Until all the litttle broken things add up....

Oddly the Saab 9-3 is exactly what started this search. So that is most certainly still in the running. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of exposure to people who have done much tuning with them. Browsing through the interwebz there are a few sites out there of people who have done builds for these but certainly no where near the following there is with other Euro boxes with turbos like Audi/VW. Anyone have personal experience on these beyond basic day to day stuff and standard bolt ons?

GM owned Saab for a while, the 9-3 may have shared an engine with a more mod friendly car (i.e. you may be able to use parts designed for another car). He should look into it more if he decides he wants a Saab though.

First gen 9-3 turbo is a Saab motor. GM used the Saab technology after that in a bunch of different cars. The later gen Saab 9-3 that's def not 3k used GM ish engines but not mod friendly. Just motors for daily use really. Everything CAN be modded for power but these just require more $$

Since 2 people have already mentioned it... http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108953

I've got a Saturn SL2 for sale in that range. They shockingly are a blast to drive. They are so light and nimble they will do whatever you want. It is a manual. Has more than enough room for him. Avg 35mpg with city and highway.