Places to ride

Wes Stone

Does anyone have any places they ride that they enjoy? I've been on the motorcycle roads websites and see all the roads on there but i'm up in delaware and to get anywhere on those website i need to ride for at least an hour which isn't a big deal. I was just wondering if there was anywhere up on the north side or somewhere you really enjoyed riding.

Thanks,

I have three routes that start from Delaware and keep you on interesting, lightly-travelled winding roads and do not require you head east or south into or around Columbus.

Some of the stops include the best hamburger on earth, the Piatt Castles, an abandoned monastery in the middle of a cornfield, a reproduction of a French street in a little Ohio village, canal locks, caverns, Grand Lake St. Mary's, Russell's Point, Kaiser Lake, all on a 1-2 hour loop from Delaware.

The routes are carefully laid out. PM me and I can either take you on them or give you my route guide.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/cycle/TheInnatVerseilles_zps1400d1e7.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/cycle/StCharlesoftheCorn_zps385435bc.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/cycle/piatt1_zpsf87d233b.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/cycle/piatt2_zpsa25cf106.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/cycle/piatt3_zpsa6c7fff5.jpg

Holmes County is a different direction and a bit longer ride, but has some great roads as well.

Doc, very very interested. I used to live in Bellefontaine and the wife is from Celina, so we know quite a bit over that way. I would be really interested in your routes though so when I have to go that way I could ride em.

We rode 555 last weekend. Only rode it down to 37 though and took 37 all the way back to delaware but yes 555 was awesome.

This is only my 2nd year with the bike so still learning where to ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Im from Delaware myself. A buddy of mine and I run this trip quite a bit. Small hour long cruise that's on some back roads through the country. Start out on OH-203 head north toward Prospect. Just before you get into town, Hang a left onto River Rd/Gast Rd. Head south until it dead ends at OH-37. Turn left then Right onto Hodges Rd. This will dead end into Warrensburg Rd. Turn right and follow it tbrough Warren Rd (vearing left at the bridge) this will dead end at OH-36. Turn left then right onto Klondike rd follow it through the light (turns into OH-257 South) Turn left onto Home Rd. Then left again onto South Section Line Rd. This will bring you back into Delaware.

If the narrow, back roads isn't your thing you could always head into Prospect, Hang a left on OH-47 and another left onto OH-257 for a faster sweeping curves ride.

Another trip we take quite a bit is heading up Horseshoe Rd. (Off of OH-42 North toward Ashley) it dead ends at OH-229. Turn right onto 229 and take it through Ashley to the OH-61 intersection. Turn right onto 61. Turn rightonto Kilbourne Rd it dead ends into OH-521. Head straight and turn left onto Hogback Rd or onto South Old State Rd. Either one will cross OH-36/37 you can head back into town or turn left. If you turn left, turn right onto Africa Rd for some more rolling Curves. Turn right onto Lewis Center Rd then Right on OH-23. This trip is full of long straight stretches to get a bit more "spirited" with some nice rolling curves you can throttle through.

My buddy is still fairly fresh to riding as well so these where good practice runs for him and I could still stay interested with the trip as well. They're no tripple nickle but they're close by.

I'm always looking for new people to join us so if you're up for it you're welcome to tag along this season.

Coshocton is worth the trip but take it easy earlier in the year until the roads get a good chance to rinse off. 541 is what everyone knows of and gets you to a lot of other less known roads.

Most of the routes I ride back home will take you through Licking, Coshocton, Knox, Holmes, and Muskingum counties. If I leave from Columbus, I slab it to Newark and hit 79 to 541, 541 to CR17, CR17 to 36 into Warsaw. From there it just depends. I use to head out 715 past the dam and loop a bunch of roads around there but the county put down chip and seal on 715 and ruined that road for life.

On the other hand, take 541 into Coshocton and head west on 16 to 83 and then do 83,93,208 and end up in Dresden and then run it in reverse order back to Coshocton and turn down any road that looks promising along the way.

Also, 541 out past Plainfield will take you to 658 and 209. 658 is one hell of a road and is probably one of the most technical rides in the area IMO. It has also bitten a bunch of experienced riders from Coshocton including myself. The road condition and turn markings are much better than they use to be.

Check this one out on a map and give it a try if you want an all day ride. From Newark take 79,541 to Coshocton, head through Coshocton staying on 541, take 541,658,209,83,93,208,60N,36W,79,586,62, and back onto 37 to head back to Delaware.

Newer guy on the boards here - I'd always be down for meeting up and going for a ride too. I've ridden down at Hocking Hills with a few guys, but that's about it for real rides since I moved here in August. A nice well behaved ride would be nice as I could get the fiancée to come along on here Ninja or the back of my Duc.

The routes are carefully laid out. PM me and I can either take you on them or give you my route guide.

I vote for you leading the way, Doc! One because those sound like amazing rides, and two...Ducati...'nuff said. :p

As long as dragging a knee here and there is welcome, I'm always in :)

Thanks for the replies guys...Joe yes I'd like to meet up and ride and learn to ride with other people that aren't going to be assholes bc i'm a newb and cautious. I live back behind kroger off houk rd.

If you or anyone reading this for that matter wants to ride, I am always wanting to ride, and anytime I'm not at work or school I will. I'm not pro by any means, but can keep up with most. Whether your wanting to take it slow or like to drag knee, I'll go with whatever! Just shoot me a PM!

klondike road in delaware has some decent curves, river road as mentioned, but watch for gravel and cars cause its narrow and not well maintained. 257 has some decent turns as well. horseshoe road has some curves that are fun. McCurdy rd out close to ashley has some sharp turns, but again gravel might be an issue.

Newer guy on the boards here - I'd always be down for meeting up and going for a ride too. I've ridden down at Hocking Hills with a few guys, but that's about it for real rides since I moved here in August. A nice well behaved ride would be nice as I could get the fiancée to come along on here Ninja or the back of my Duc.

Sure man always room for another. My buddy and stoney are fairly fresh, I've been riding for a while so it would be fun to get a bit of a mix of experience going. I'm not one for a huge group but 5-6 is aways a bit more entertaining. Pm me and ill show you and stoney a few places up this way that can be fun for an hour or 2