Motorcycle gear for drag racing?

Cordell

So I bought this bike and I'd like to go race it at Trails, what do I need? I've only been down the track on a bike a couple times and I just put on their gear so obviously I need a leather jacket, gloves, helmet, and long pants, but what at the cutoffs? Like how fast can you go before you need full leathers? Can someone explain any ratings that I need, like grade of leather or helmet?

A magazine tested my bike and it went something like 11.80 at 117, so I don't forsee needing full leathers but I'm not positive of anything. Since I don't plan on taking the bike much I don't want to buy stuff I don't need.

Any info would be helpful.

two seconds on national trails website...

"a.

b. All riders running 9.99 or quicker must have a current NHRA Competition License.

c. All riders must wear an SFI/SNELL rated helmet, leather jacket, leather gloves, leather boots/shoes above the ankle, and long pants.

d. All riders running 120 mph or faster must wear full leathers or SFI spec 40.1/2 suit. Two-piece suits must be joined with a zipper at the waist.

e. Motorcycles 10.99 & quicker must be equipped with a working, positive ignition cutoff switch

attached to the rider with a lanyard.

f.

"

so preety much if you go quicker then 120 OR 10.99 you need full leathers.

And few magazine test rides have net a 11.23 @ 121.0 on your bike. BRAAP

Leather suit at 9.99 or 120 mph. Dead mans kill cord mandatory on all bikes. Snell approved helmet. Also high top boots/shoes. If your bike is stock this should not be an issue, but a chain guard is mandatory as well.

I know it says 10.99 or faster for kill switch, but I've seen them make it required for any motorcycle.

ive made 500 passes at trails on my yzf600.. runs a 11.70 @120 right on the limit and never had to have a kill cord. greg on here ran his r6 and starkmaster ran his r1 alsno no kill cords many times.

but were slower then you guys :lol:

If you're just looking for a bit of fun without all the gripe from the safety crew head up to larue. Not the best track but they're pretty lax wearing full leathers. Obviously if you're planning on going faster than 10.5 12X mph it would be foolish not to have them. But if you're just looking to have fun on your bike at the track larue is a nice mellow place to get some practice runs in. Plenty of time to make passes and its cheap. Just my .02