Golden Age of Modding...will it ever come again?

99StockGT

I don't think he is at all. There is a certain amount of pleasure that comes from driving a car without "Nannies". I could honestly care less about Zoned Climate Control, LED Head lights, and Heated Seats. Don't get me wrong, those things are all nice, but all that sissiness is for someone the likes of Jones.

Honestly I think we are in the latest "Golden Age" right now. It comes in cycles each time Technology leaps forward. There are times when I wish all I had to do was spin a screw driver and watch a Vacuum gauge. On the other hand, tuning with a few snicks with the keyboard is so nice.

EFI is a wonderful thing. I think the fact that modern High Power cars are just as temperamental and hard to live with on the street today as they were 20 years ago. Too many people watch You Tube and see how that so-and-so Vette just made 2000 HP, or that GT-R made 1600, even anything 6-800. And think it's easier today than "yesterday". Try driving it. You'll stab yourself in the Neck. It's just as lousy as and "Old Technology" car was.

Nope

Going to have to disagree here wildly.

Stock GT-R = 10.xx Way easier to drive than any stock 10 second car from the 90's, Oh wait, there were none. :gabe:

Not to mention the climate control & heated seats you can enjoy while on the way down the track.

Yep

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many reviews of cars these days make mention of the fly by wire controls? The GT-R has even been likened to driving a video game. There are so many computers between you and the tires it's a completely different experience.

If you want to take an example look at the Viper. That thing was a TERROR to drive in its origional form but the boyish excitement from it was awesome, other than white knuckling the entire ride. Now you have that beast with a huge power increase but soooooo much easier to drive. Are you still driving a race car? Sure. But it's much less likely to eat your face. The old car WAS a race car and you better damn well know how to drive it or you'll end up on a stat sheet somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, as I have said before, I like those creature comforts as much as the next guy. But in my sedan, or my truck. Not in my plant the foot to the floor rear tires screaming and complaining while bellowing smoke and a pervert grin on my face as I rattle around in a poorly built seat FUN car.

foot to the floor rear tires screaming and complaining while bellowing smoke and a pervert grin on my face as I rattle around in a poorly built seat FUN car.

^That's referred to as poor engineering.

Things evolve, we use technology, and it gets better.

A long time ago, we sacrificed people and animals to "weather gods" so we could have good crops and food. Some people probably thought of it as a fun ritual.

Turns out, we were retarded, oops.

So Jones you are telling me that lining up hitting the throttle, pointing it straight and ripping off a 12 second pass with no tire screeching, shifting, clutch work at all is as exciting and satisfying of an experience as managing tire spin, working your throttle, proper clutching/shifting and holding on to dear life while clocking a low 13?

Clearly we must come from different schools of driving/thinking.

So Jones you are telling me that lining up hitting the throttle, pointing it straight and ripping off a 12 second pass with no tire screeching, shifting, clutch work at all is as exciting and satisfying of an experience as managing tire spin, working your throttle, proper clutching/shifting and holding on to dear life while clocking a low 13?

Clearly we must come from different schools of driving/thinking.

That or I grew up?

Tire smoke and "burnouts" were cool when you are 17, 18, maybe early 20's.

Now, I'd rather put the power down on the street or track and enjoy the net result without looking like a bafoon.

^That's referred to as poor engineering.

Things evolve, we use technology, and it gets better.

A long time ago, we sacrificed people and animals to "weather gods" so we could have good crops and food. Some people probably thought of it as a fun ritual.

Turns out, we were retarded, oops.

Who's to say those of us who still cling to the old ways are wrong? Maybe its our dancing naked in the woods with face paint and a bongo drum that helped the world go round. Oh and kept the water clean and drinkable. Oh and the air clear. Oh and the general population in shape and not morbidly over weight. Not all changes in technology or belief are "better"

Who's to say those of us who still cling to the old ways are wrong? Maybe its our dancing naked in the woods with face paint and a bongo drum that helped the world go round. Oh and kept the water clean and drinkable. Oh and the air clear. Oh and the general population in shape and not morbidly over weight. Not all changes in technology or belief are "better"

Advances in technology are ALWAYS better, and beneficial to society.

Today people are living longer, and surviving things that were impossible 50 years ago.

Today you can have an executive car that stock, runs 11's has wifi service, can climb an icy hill, and give you the most comfortable ride, outside of a lazy boy getting 26mpg. All on the same set of all seasons and a little 4.0L motor. Only reason that is possible is technology.

Jones is a Yuppie. Tire smoke and burnouts are still cool as hell.

I remember the great burnouts you did in your old white camaro at the track day. The giant slicks which poured smoke out of the wheel wells during a pass.

I also recall a 4100lb+ 4 door luxury car with a 3.0L V6 with nothing but a tune violating it without so much as a squeak or noise. :gabe:

Tell me again about your tire smoke.

Well I won't get into that on this thread maybe I'll start another one for small leaps for mankind. Just saying the raw emotional enjoyment, at least for me, is greater in a car I truely have to control and drive. Maybe that's old folk attitude, but maybe my beard is just dyed and I'm hiding the white hairs.

Anywho...what is the go to car these days that normal people can afford, modify, and enjoy that doesn't have a crazy amount of driver assists? I had high hopes for the Genesis turbo...the BRZ certainly has the seat of your pants feel with a grin on your face...mustang and camero though definitely more refined than their earlier family members are still a blast to drive though they definitely transfer less and less of the road to you as the driver. What will be the next '99 Civic SI? Or late 90s F-Body?

Well I won't get into that on this thread maybe I'll start another one for small leaps for mankind. Just saying the raw emotional enjoyment, at least for me, is greater in a car I truely have to control and drive. Maybe that's old folk attitude, but maybe my beard is just dyed and I'm hiding the white hairs.

Anywho...what is the go to car these days that normal people can afford, modify, and enjoy that doesn't have a crazy amount of driver assists? I had high hopes for the Genesis turbo...the BRZ certainly has the seat of your pants feel with a grin on your face...mustang and camero though definitely more refined than their earlier family members are still a blast to drive though they definitely transfer less and less of the road to you as the driver. What will be the next '99 Civic SI? Or late 90s F-Body?

Not sure I've ever seen anyone refer to a late 90's f body as a drivers car.

I don't think he is at all. There is a certain amount of skill required in driving a car without "Nannies". .

Fixed...

Look at all the open wheel guys that try to go over and race NASCAR. How many of them fail? Only one I can think of that actually can drive is Tony Stewart, but he got his start driving dirt oval.

Not sure I've ever seen anyone refer to a late 90's f body as a drivers car.

If optioned without TCS, they can be. (Relatively) big V8, RWD, manual, mid-front engine and a live axle rear end makes it one hell of a fun chassis. Not the most ideal on autocross courses or tracks without proper suspension work, but with just some chassis stiffening, better springs, tires, and brakes, they are definitely fun in the corners as well as on straights.

I get your point. I have the desire to build an old vehicle of some sort, probably will end up being a first gen bronco for my wife for this very reason. It'll be all a simple vehicle, nuts and bolts for the most part (besides engine management).

Comparing old tech to new tech is pointless. The new tech is so much faster at everything, there is no point to compare.

Drive what you like, buy what you like, and enjoy.

I remember the great burnouts you did in your old white camaro at the track day. The giant slicks which poured smoke out of the wheel wells during a pass.

I also recall a 4100lb+ 4 door luxury car with a 3.0L V6 with nothing but a tune violating it without so much as a squeak or noise. :gabe:

Tell me again about your tire smoke.

Your happy that ypu had to spend 50k to beat a 3k car only simply because 3k car was blowing the tires off it. Money well spent my little buddy hahaha

And yes, the burnouts were awesome.

Maybe you should come see me now. And I still spent less than a 1/4 of what you spent on a girls car.

Advances in technology are ALWAYS better, and beneficial to society.

Guess that would depend on which society you are referring to. Technology advancement is a double edged sword. Just because it "benefits" the society you live in does not mean that it has the same affect on a different society.

I am sure all the families of innocent people killed by drones in the middle east would disagree that drone technology has "benefited" their society.

I get what op is saying. Where are the days it took talent to get a car down the strip quickly? These days it's just point and shoot (compaired to say 10 years ago, I know it's still not quite as simple as that). 10-20 years ago not only did you have to know how to build a car, but you had to know how to drive it too. It wasn't just mash the gas and steer.

I am sure all the families of innocent people killed by drones in the middle east would disagree that drone technology has "benefited" their society.

And the 300million+ people here all feel a bit safer.

http://i.imgur.com/MgT9I9b.jpg

Living in an advanced society has it's benefits, enjoy them while you can people.