Golden Age of Modding...will it ever come again?

99StockGT

I'll spell it how I wanna spell it! Cameaero! And yes Ryan that's a lot of what I'm saying. 2highpsi...ummm that thing costs HOW much? Super cars aren't included in this thought. I'm talking things purchasable by normal people with normal jobs that don't have a trust fund. The GT-R is an amazing car. But that price range doesn't make it attainable to anyone but people who clear 100k a year.

Now as a side comment to that, I'll give a nod to Jones and the rest of the "tech makes it better" crowd because a 9 second GT-R is a WAY different beast than say a 9 second Mustang/F-Body. It's actually car with creature comforts and not just a motor a with a tranny some huge tires and safety equipment. But that's not exactly where I was going with this thread.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2highpsi...ummm that thing costs HOW much? Super cars aren't included in this thought. I'm talking things purchasable by normal people with normal jobs that don't have a trust fund. The GT-R is an amazing car. But that price range doesn't make it attainable to anyone but people who clear 100k a year.

Now as a side comment to that, I'll give a nod to Jones and the rest of the "tech makes it better" crowd because a 9 second GT-R is a WAY different beast than say a 9 second Mustang/F-Body. It's actually car with creature comforts and not just a motor a with a tranny some huge tires and safety equipment. But that's not exactly where I was going with this thread.

You were talking about MK IV Supras, and 3KGT VR4s.

You know what those sold for in the 90s? Take that, then adjust for inflation.

You got yourself the price of a used stock (09) GTR nowadays.

While, they aren't cheap... they hardly require a trust fund to afford one.

If you paid that kind of money for a 3000, I've got a cherry Stealth I'll sell you tomorrow. Were 3000s and Stealths expensive when they were first sold? Absolutely. There were also a TON of them compaired to the production numbers of a GT-R. You also had several different trim levels that have a HUGE range of prices. How many different trim levels are there for the GT-R? Anything thats front wheel drive non-turbo? What are the production numbers on GT-Rs? Do you honestly see a day when you can get one used in good shape any time soon for mid-high teens?

I know what I bought my 92 for in 2001 and unless I'm completely foolish there's no WAY I could buy a GT-R currently for anywhere near what I did, adjusted for inflation of course.

If you paid that kind of money for a 3000, I've got a cherry Stealth I'll sell you tomorrow. Were 3000s and Stealths expensive when they were first sold? Absolutely. There were also a TON of them compaired to the production numbers of a GT-R. You also had several different trim levels that have a HUGE range of prices. How many different trim levels are there for the GT-R? Anything thats front wheel drive non-turbo? What are the production numbers on GT-Rs? Do you honestly see a day when you can get one used in good shape any time soon for mid-high teens?

I know what I bought my 92 for in 2001 and unless I'm completely foolish there's no WAY I could buy a GT-R currently for anywhere near what I did, adjusted for inflation of course.

We are talking about brand new pricing.

A 94 MK4 Supra Turbo's base price was 44K. Inflation adjusted, that's nearly 70K today. The 09 GTR was 76k. Closer than you might imagine.

Even a RT/TT back in 91 was 33k+

I'm looking forward to over-clocking computers in fully electric cars. Adding laser sintered graphene super capacitors on top of new solid state LiO2 battery packs.

ELectric motor = torque-o-rama!

Seriously though,,, electric cars suck. I worry for my children...

I'm all for revisiting this thread in 2018 :) I just can't imagine those cars as rare as they are and as well built as they are falling to that level of depreciation. From those of us who own 3/S cars...they tend to break a lot of things which is a large reason their value fell off a table.

So...lets move the GT-R aside, what "currently attainable" options are out there? To be had at a decent price, modified without a BA in Computer Science, and "fun to drive". Of course that last bit is personal preference but it keeps people talking :)

So...lets move the GT-R aside, what "currently attainable" options are out there? To be had at a decent price, modified without a BA in Computer Science, and "fun to drive". Of course that last bit is personal preference but it keeps people talking :)

It depends on what you are talking about.

Your last reference was to what you paid for your 92 3S in 01. So if you are talking about inexpensive 10 year old car now, there are a slew of them.

I currently own two that fit that bill.

I'll totally chalk your '03 Cobra and '05 Evo up as great cars to be had for a not too terrible price. Not exactly easily within grasp of those fresh out of college/high school but not TOO far of a stretch. Both are reasonably inexpensive to do modding to as well so I'll give you a +1 for those two.

What exactly are you looking for?

The usual suspects apply to this thread, like any other "what car should I buy" thread.

Any enthusiast based car has an aftermarket capable of making them fast.

Also, no degree that i know of is required to make a car fast. In fact, I think its easier on one with F/I than N/A.

I'll totally chalk your '03 Cobra and '05 Evo up as great cars to be had for a not too terrible price. Not exactly easily within grasp of those fresh out of college/high school but not TOO far of a stretch. Both are reasonably inexpensive to do modding to as well so I'll give you a +1 for those two.

The number of rules you are putting on this thead is laughable. Luckily I don't fall into any of them.

I will say from experience that hot rodding is constantly improving with automotive technological advances. Seriously, if you doubt that, go and pick up a HOT ROD Magazine issue and look through the ads and Tech Help sections.

CLEETUS: I finagle a distributor and single-barrel carb to smooth out my idle, since the seasons are changing. I install a $80 MSD box and coil to get "instant on" cold starts....

JOANS: plugs in an OBDII module in his TT-RS, gets 30+HP and 60+torks for less than $300 within 5 minutes in his garage.

When I do my Factory Five Cobra, you better believe it's going to have a Ford Coyote/GM LSx EFI engine in it. If I did my Ford tee-ruk over again, I wouldn't have rebuilt the 300ci inline-6: definitely would've installed a modern powertrain...

PROGRESS WINS

You are aware that Schumacher drove a Ferrari in F1 (the pinnacle of racing) that without ferrari's electronic stability control the car had to be retired during the race when it failed because the car was uncontrollable. He signed with Ferrari in 1996.

Quite frankly, Ford-humpers/GM-haters can GFY, as we are happily in the age of 300+hp LSx engines for $1000. Well-engineered, ISO-9001 manufacturers are producing brackets/mounts/accessories to put these motors in just about anything.

Someone put an LSx in a Suzuki Sidekick...:eek:

FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO WRENCH (admitting myself that many of ours and the newer generation can't hang a picture on the wall without a contractor)...how can you not call this the "Golden Age of Modding"?

Aaron, not really looking to buy a car just presenting a point and get people talking/thinking. I've got more cars than places to park them at the moment so until I have an 8 car garage I'll hold off on future purchases.

Benjamin yes I'm aware of this and I'm not saying all technology is bad. There are absolutely areas that it comes in increadibly useful...like keeping people alive in an F1 car.

Back to my origional point for the thread. As we see the trend for modern cars towards more and more computer/sensor controlled cars do we still get the same enjoyment and sense of accomplishment from making them fast that we used to? Is it as fun reprogramming with your laptop as it was getting dirty in the garage? Same seat of your pants feeling? Thankfully it seems like F/I is making a pretty good comeback maybe that's a sign of things to come.

Just trying to keep the discussion going, don't kill the new guy!

If you look at new cars, more and more reverse engineering is wing used. Intakes are restrictive to keep NVH down, as well as exhausts from the factory.

I guess I'm confused as to how making a car faster nowdays and making a car faster in the olden days is any different? I mean you still get the same satisfaction either way when you jam the pedal down and feel the difference.