Golden Age of Modding...will it ever come again?

99StockGT

Is it as fun reprogramming with your laptop as it was getting dirty in the garage? Same seat of your pants feeling? Thankfully it seems like F/I is making a pretty good comeback maybe that's a sign of things to come.

I'll take tweaking fuel and timing maps on my laptop, over pissing with carbs and distributors any day,

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at new cars, more and more reverse engineering is wing used. Intakes are restrictive to keep NVH down, as well as exhausts from the factory.

This couldn't be any further from the truth.

In recent years where every tenth of a MPG is important, more R&D has gone into intake/exhaust than before. They have gotten to the point to electronically controlling oil flow and reducing main bearing contact area to reduce drag.

Noise pipes and other things aren't restrictive to the intake as much as channel specific noises out, or move certain ones into the cabin.

This couldn't be any further from the truth.

In recent years where every tenth of a MPG is important, more R&D has gone into intake/exhaust than before. They have gotten to the point to electronically controlling oil flow and reducing main bearing contact area to reduce drag.

Noise pipes and other things aren't restrictive to the intake as much as channel specific noises out, or move certain ones into the cabin.

I was including newer being 2000+. You must not have been involved In CB the night we came to the conclusion I am a poverty child. Anything 10 years old is new to me :lol: I guess I was basing my opinions based upon a certain bran of vehicles compared to automobiles as a whole.

I was including newer being 2000+. You must not have been involved In CB the night we came to the conclusion I am a poverty child. Anything 10 years old is new to me :lol: I guess I was basing my opinions based upon a certain bran of vehicles compared to automobiles as a whole.

Arg..

Kids today.

Just bought a stock Model T, really pumped to start modding.

Welcome to the "Golden Age of Modding", circa 1955! Do you want an Edelbrock, Edelbrock, or Edelbrock intake manifold? Would you like the Holley carb, or the Holley carb to go with that?

:no:

I don't have launch control and turn off stability control, does that make my car fun again?

You tell me, does it? Hopefully so! :dumb:

I DO appreciate all the advances in technology over the past decade, what we can squeeze out of motors with what we have learned is fantastic. Maybe I'll ask for a seat when you rip that TT of yours around and I can make my own informed decision ;)

Fixed...

Look at all the open wheel guys that try to go over and race NASCAR. How many of them fail? Only one I can think of that actually can drive is Tony Stewart, but he got his start driving dirt oval.

You are aware that Schumacher drove a Ferrari in F1 (the pinnacle of racing) that without ferrari's electronic stability control the car had to be retired during the race when it failed because the car was uncontrollable. He signed with Ferrari in 1996.

Why I thought that all these fancy controls made you a better driver? Best drivers I have seen are kart drivers. Zero assistance from the machine, have to know how to set it up, and have to make it work.

Why I thought that all these fancy controls made you a better driver? Best drivers I have seen are kart drivers. Zero assistance from the machine, have to know how to set it up, and have to make it work.

Errbody gonna hate. But outlaw sprint drivers know how to drive pretty damn well.

I'm with Jones. Cars come from the factory already too fast for the average driver to handle. With these cars now a days you can change out the tires and run 11's. It used to take about 5 grand in mods to do that. And that 5 grand typically caused you to have a less comfortable ride. After about $10k the car was no longer street legal and running high 10's. Now a days you just add a blower and tires and can beat all of us old heads driving our "heavily modded cars".

But but but...if you are doing so little work on these cars now what do you have to get from the parts store!? I like things you have to buy lots of parts for and break things working on, it keeps me in business! :)

But but but...if you are doing so little work on these cars now what do you have to get from the parts store!? I like things you have to buy lots of parts for and break things working on, it keeps me in business! :)

Parts store?

It's called dealer or mail order. GET WITH THE TIMES BRO.

So with all this fantastic knowledge we have going here I go back to my previous question...what will be the new '99 Civic SI? What car(s) are 3-6 years old easily able to find, reasonably inexpensive, and easy to work on? Even if it is just involves plugging in and changing numbers...

LOL, since when was a 99 civic si the car to have when wanting a 3-6 year old budget performance car?

There is no single car...

People will buy what they like, others will hate, and the world will rotate.

EVO

WRX/STI

Mustang

Camaro

ETC

I get your point. I have the desire to build an old vehicle of some sort, probably will end up being a first gen bronco for my wife for this very reason. It'll be all a simple vehicle, nuts and bolts for the most part (besides engine management).

Comparing old tech to new tech is pointless. The new tech is so much faster at everything, there is no point to compare.

Drive what you like, buy what you like, and enjoy.

Best part of this entire thread.

You two really should move to New Hampshire.

/facepalm

I was meaning this purely in the sense of readily available, parts are cheap and attainable, and not a massive upfront cost of the actual car. AKA all the kids are doing it like they were the SIs from a few years ago.

/facepalm

I was meaning this purely in the sense of readily available, parts are cheap and attainable, and not a massive upfront cost of the actual car. AKA all the kids are doing it like they were the SIs from a few years ago.

What kids typically do to those cars isn't exactly what I would call productive.

What will be the next "civic si"? Probably whatever Advanced auto parts sells wings and chrome intakes for would be my guess.

Ahhh Jones, I'm going to have to buy you a coffee. Granted it will have to be a German coffee, and come with an auto cooling fan in the lid and have a self dispensing creamer but I'll buy you a coffee.

I'll take a iced Chai from Cup O Joe @ Cars N Coffee.

THANK YOU