Mileage on motorcycles

shotgun

This summer I plan on trying to get a motorcycle. I've been on Craigslist, cycle trader, etc. and I've seen newer bikes with higher mileage (10k+ miles) in my price range. Is that considered a lot of miles for a sports bike or is it common ? I've tried searching on cr for my answer but no luck. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

I'm finicky when it comes to mileage, especially on a sport bike. 10K miles isn't a crazy amount but too me that is about half the life of a hard ridden bike. Now there are plenty of people out there that have bikes well over that mileage, just depends on maintenance and up keep. I probably wouldn't have a problem getting a bike from a person who always garage kept and kept records for maintenance on a 15k mile bike. I just picked mine up with 500 miles and I looked at every inch of it before I took it.

Consider a Jap made sport bike disposable. As dover said...they are typically only good for 15-20k miles.

At the price they are going for now, you can easily ride the hell out of one for 8-10k miles, flip it and replace.

-Marc

Dover I was referring to that gsxr600 I sent u that text about. I was about to lower his price on it and now it's just up to me to get it or not.

It's a 2006 gsxr600 with 11,000 miles for $4,000

You fail to mention it has a dented tank! Like I said before a first bike shouldn't be an expensive buy especially since you'll end up dropping it at some point. I'd go no more then $3k or $3.5. But then again I'm a cheap ass.

buy a bike that you are going to drop, you saw how mine was and the stupid shit that happens that no one explains. buy a cheap bike learn to ride, then step up to something like this. you wont listen anyways

my bikes got 27k miles and running like it was wheni got it at 4k. All in how you treat it. Now I beat the living spit out of mine (over 500 yes hundred) passes at trails, corners and commuting and all I have done is change the oil, tires and new chain and sprocket in that time.

Gotta love it

As eceryone has said its all about the previous owners. If they took good care of it or beat on it every time they where on it. Engine style has a lot to do with it too. The old, sluggish inline 4 engines last much longer in comparison to a newer twin engine. The newwer bikes rev much higher too so that's something to factor in. Theres a huge difference in a red line at 16k and one at 10-11k. Those high revs takes its tole after a while. The style of bike makes a big difference too. Sport bikes are designed to be rode hard and put away wet. Sport tours are usually geared more for long trips but still hit the twistys on a spirited day. So typically they aren't ridden as hard and have a tendency to last longer. I've seen bikes go 30-40-50k plus because of the style they where ridden. But as most have said start with a cheap bike, learn on it, thrash it, then get the bike you want.

Consider a Jap made sport bike disposable. As dover said...they are typically only good for 15-20k miles.

At the price they are going for now, you can easily ride the hell out of one for 8-10k miles, flip it and replace.

-Marc

Hahaha so much bad information! My bike has 25k and runs better than it ever has!! A sport bike will last just as long as anything else, as long as the proper maintenance is done! You will go through countless tires, brake pads, chain and sprockets before having motor issues.

Hahaha so much bad information! My bike has 25k and runs better than it ever has!! A sport bike will last just as long as anything else, as long as the proper maintenance is done! You will go through countless tires, brake pads, chain and sprockets before having motor issues.

No bad information, just read into it and it was specified that if proper prior ownership was done then it is worth it. Mileage is simply a number that has 100's of factors. No one said that it COULDN'T be done, just not smart to spend big money on one already there. :dumb:

Cool story bruh. :rolleyes:

-Marc

No bad information, just read into it and it was specified that if proper prior ownership was done then it is worth it. Mileage is simply a number that has 100's of factors. No one said that it COULDN'T be done, just not smart to spend big money on one already there. :dumb:

dover stock wheel base to stock wheel base me on the 25k mile having bike ???????? we are both over 200

I honest to god know a guy that put 100,000 miles on a VTR 1000 super hawk, with no motor work out side of a water pump, two valve adjustments and one clutch kit. Just depends on how you take care of a bike. His was VERY clean and ran great when sold, wouldn't have thought twice about buying it. Keep in mind he was the only owner and had all service records.

I honest to god know a guy that put 100,000 miles on a VTR 1000 super hawk, with no motor work out side of a water pump, two valve adjustments and one clutch kit. Just depends on how you take care of a bike. His was VERY clean and ran great when sold, wouldn't have thought twice about buying it. Keep in mind he was the only owner and had all service records.

Yeah, the v-twins run forever. 100k is totally normal for a superhawk.