Starting A Business In Ohio

wagner

So I have decided to move forward with starting my business. Now I need to go through what appears to be the painful process of dealing with the state/feds to get my paperwork done.

Those on CR that have started your own business do you have any tips on what to do and what to avoid? I could pay the company I work for to do some of the paperwork, but I would rather do it myself.

I used my accountant, Lee Nash, to help me set up the business. He was able to guide me through the process and give me advice on what type of business to open, how he wanted to see the financials submitted, and how to handle transactions. The fees were minimal. Make sure the foundation for your business is solid.

I used my accountant, Lee Nash, to help me set up the business. He was able to guide me through the process and give me advice on what type of business to open, how he wanted to see the financials submitted, and how to handle transactions. The fees were minimal. Make sure the foundation for your business is solid.

That is exactly what I want to do, make sure I got everything right and tight up front. Granted, this is not going to be a super huge business ( I am starting small on purpose), but I want to be sure I have done everything correct.

My wife does real estate and business transaction law in OH and FL. She's pretty damn busy these days managing the famiry, house fire, and a couple client issues...but I can certainly give you her number if you want to talk to her.

I used Kathleen Johnson (attorney in Galena), her contact info is 740 965 1563

This was a reference from Rick (RS69 on the board)

Kathleen is good people

What type of business?

I obtained a vendor's license to sell goods in the state of Ohio, and established a SP through my accountant.

It all depends what you are looking to do. Build an empire or sell stuff from your house?

What type of business?

I obtained a vendor's license to sell goods in the state of Ohio, and established a SP through my accountant.

It all depends what you are looking to do. Build an empire or sell stuff from your house?

Apparel to start with, might also use it to help sell photos as well. This will be all stuff being sold out of my home.

This is just another step to get me to where I want to be in life. Corporate 'merica is not being super good to me so I need to find a way to help myself reach my goals.

You may want to start with a basic vendor's license.

For example, I was selling so many car parts that I got a vendor's license and started paying sales tax on it. It was approximately $30 to file and I had it within a month.

I then set up a Sole Proprietorship....cheap as well.

This allows me to be write stuff off, keep track of my sales and I do have to pay sales tax twice a year (I think it's January and July) and ALSO claim this as income and pay tax on that.

The good thing of course is the allowance of write offs now that it's legit.

To file for a vendor's license, go to the Ohio Department of Commerce website.

Great for you Wagner, I can not wait to see some of your apparel.

Thanks, I am looking at only maybe 1 or 2 shirts to start with, very simple. Right now my first vendor is really not impressing me, so that is going to push things back more.

starting a business has been a pia lol, glad you are jumping in the fail boat at the same time we are. Hopefully we all make $

Yeah, I am trying to keep the bunghole pain as low as possible.

I am really thinking about redoing my business plan and making some changes due to this supplier issue. It has kind of been a blessing to have the problem right away so I can see how to deal with these issues.

I do have a backup I want to talk with but I need to see what kind of money he charges.

I used Kathleen Johnson (attorney in Galena), her contact info is 740 965 1563

This was a reference from Rick (RS69 on the board)

Jackson, thanks for the FYI.

Yes, my wife is an attorney and if you have questions she can help you or if want her to set it up for you she can do that too.

Thanks,

Rick

Not sure whats the reason for an attorney.. I started a business just by going to the states website...

check for name availability

file the llc

get with the feds and file for you fed tax id number

keep records and pay taxes, thats all there is to it.

as long as its just you and no employees, its real simple

Congrats man.

Must be in the water. :cool:

I am leaving my last W2 gig in a week and will be full on business owner myself.

I basically "interviewed" a few attorneys and a few accountants. Found one of each that seemed extremely competent and excited about what I wanted to do. They have been worth their weight in gold.

Good info in here so far, I am going to follow up with some of the contact information given.

Starting a business to hide your cocaine/meth dealings on the side is not the way to go Wagner... ;)

That business is not in my name....

Ohio is one of the easier states to form a business.

This page has everything you need:

http://business.ohio.gov/

The PDF here: http://business.ohio.gov/starting/ will get you going without really needing a lawyer or accountant.

I personally use one of each though just because I like them.